Five reasons I'm going to become a vegetarian:
1.) It's cheaper.
2.) It forces me to eat healthier (more grains, fruits and vegetables) and it's helped me be more aware of making sure I get the nutrients I need.
3.) It's more sanitary. For some reason, I get grossed out after I cut chicken and put the knife cutting board in the sink. I feel like it contaminates my whole kitchen.
4.) It will help me lose weight.
5.) I feel so sad for the animals that are slaughtered.
Okay, so I'm not really a vegetarian. And I don't really want to lose weight nor do I care about animal slaughtering. But we have greatly reduced our meat intake around here(admittedly more because of budget constraints and not choice) and I've actually really enjoyed it. Thinking about chicken and red meat makes me feel full. I don't feel like I need lots of meat and I don't really miss it. However, I did realize I don't think I could ever give up bacon. I LOVE bacon. In salads, as a side, on sandwiches, in pasta, you name it. However you serve it, I'll probably like it. Bacon is good. And I also wouldn't mind a nice steak every now and then, but I don't really crave meat like I thought I would if I stopped eating it.
And since you've been waiting all week for another inexpensive meal plan, here you go (this week was probably below $25 --seriously it might be more like $15-- if you add it up because I made my own bread and we didn't use two cubes of butter):
M: Bean and cheese burros, enchilada style (I have the easiest homemade red enchilada sauce that is really good), Spanish rice, steamed carrots
T: Grilled cheese sandwiches with homemade bread and tomatoes, cucumbers
W: Nachos (cheese sauce from Costco, tomatoes, green onions, olives and sour cream), cantaloupe
R: Pizza w/ onions, mushrooms, olives & bell peppers (I found my beloved crust recipe I haven't used in forever... it's a good one), smoothies (frozen bananas, frozen peaches, tiny bit of cream, milk and a little ice)
F: Halloween candy (just kidding, but we won't eat here)
So you know: For breakfast we almost always have either cream of white, oatmeal, pancakes, cereal, toast and fruit or eggs. For lunch we usually have cheese crisps, sandwiches or leftovers.
For the record: I have always made fun of Angela when she says stuff about being a vegetarian. Here's my public apology: I'm sorry little sister, I shouldn't have made fun of you. I made fun of your idea before trying it. I guess in my ignorant state I thought all vegetarians were created equal and were all vegans. Not so. If I did decide to become a vegetarian, I'd be a Lacto-Ovo-Vegetarian (eats eggs and cheese)... and I'd eat bacon.
Friday, October 31, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
I love reading your FOF!!
Hey, since you're so political... ;) Do you know of a website or place that I can see all the props we're voting on on Tuesday? I'm embarrassed to admit I don't know what half of them are and I don't want to vote "wrong." Thanks!
I don't at meat very much either. If I do, it's Ground Beef cooked in or with something else. We are not huge meat eaters. But I agree that I don't think I could eliminate meat forever. But we eat it maybe twice a month or something like that.
Good job on the budget ! If you need advice on how to be poor, I am the person to ask : )
I always tell josh i could be a vegetarian and it makes him so mad. I think he thinks i would be a different person but I really don't understand because i hardly eat meat anyways. Your budget is crazy, i'm just amazed by you. I wished i could make bread.
Oh and on what Coop was for halloween i really thought he would want to be a dinosaur but when we went shopping all he wanted was a transformer. Crazy kid.
I totally agree with you on this. Though I would add one point. It seems like LDS people are all very concerned with including tea in their WOW restrictions but when it comes to meat it's "bring it on." I had to break out D&C 89:12-15 to read to my husband the other day when I was trying to convince him that we need to eat hardly any meat and that he didn't need it to be "full."
http://scriptures.lds.org/en/dc/89
Amen to BACON!!!!
Halloween candy is totally a legitimate meal!
I went vegetarian once a long time ago but did it all wrong and got sick from not enough nutrients. We still aren't big meat eaters (sometimes to Brian's dismay) and usually have it as part of a larger meal like enchiladas or something. I'd LOVE for you to post your enchilada sauce recipe. I have a crock pot enchilada recipe that's so easy and I'd love a cheaper way to make it (I already make white sauce instead of buying a can of cream of chicken.) I love your weekly menus too. Good stuff!
My brother-in-law is a vegetarian, but he is no where near healthy. All he eats is pasta, chips and soda. I could probaby get on that vegetarian train.
Thanks, Anna. Glad you're finally willing to admit that I've been right all along.
(jk)
Anna, something is so funny about your vegetarian comment (sans bacon) that it has had me laughing all day. I like seeing your weekly menus too, so keep posting those.
Post a Comment