I don't really get embarrassed. If I trip, oh well, happens all the time. If I had a booger in my nose, oh well, our bodies need to get rid of stuff one way or another. If I call someone by the wrong name, oh well, my memory isn't perfect. If I have my fly down, oh well, who hasn't.
When Jason started working full time, we cancelled his private Health Insurance policy with HealthNet. First they said they didn't get the fax and so we had to do it again. Shortly after that, they charged our credit card for the monthly premium. I was mad. Especially since I predicted that's what would happen. Jason called and they said he didn't cancel it in time (whatever) and that it would take 6-8 weeks to send us a refund check. Lame, but oh well.
Last night I sat down to update our budget. You can imagine my instant fury when I saw "HealthNet" show up when I downloaded our credit card history into Money.
This morning I called them up.
Man: (After verifying personal information) And who are you?
Me: I'm his wife (last time I called, they said they couldn't tell me how to cancel the insurance, I didn't want to cancel it, I just needed to know how to do it. They said he had to call and get the instructions).
Man: (Kindly) What can I do for you?
Me: (Shaking mad) A little while ago we cancelled our policy with you. You still charged our credit card and when my husband called you said it would take 6-8 weeks to get a refund.
Man: (Calmly) That's right, because he didn't cancel in time (it was, mind you, before the first of the month, but oh well).
Me: (Full of fire) Right, I know. But you charged my card again for another month. We can't afford to wait 6-8 weeks for another refund. If you charged my card, you can reverse the charge just as easily. If it's not done by the end of the week, I'm reporting you to my credit card company for fraudulent charges.
Man: (Politely) Can you hold on a minute Miss?
Me: (Irritated) Yes.
Then the thought crossed my mind... what if it wasn't a charge but a credit? While on hold I went to the computer. Behold, it was a credit. They had said they'd send a check so when I saw their name, I instantly assumed it was a charge and didn't take the time to notice which direction the charge was going. Instant embarrassment and humiliation overcame me. I got so upset at this nice British-accent-speaking man for NOTHING. So I hung up. I know, totally immature. But I just couldn't sit on hold knowing what a total schmuck I was today because I was completely embarrassed.
Monday, September 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
What I want to know is how you got a burger up your nose...those are big!!! I usually just get boogers. :)
Welcome to the schmuck club...
I can totally relate...I think I have done something like that before too!!
I'm dying. . . at Genny's comment. A BURGER up your nose!!!! Okay, your other story was funny too--way to ruin someone's day! HeHe
I have big nostrils. But don't worry, I wasn't embarrassed when it was up there.
I would have hung up too. Actually, when I was reading your post, I was thinking "I would just hang up" before I even read your ending.
Anyway - I do that sort of stuff all the time - it's the paranoia - I think everyone is out to get me and my money.
Oh man, that is too funny ! I don't blame you for being mad though, I would have been livid as well. Besides, I know those Customer Service Reps get yelled at by people a dozen times a day. Hey, they chose the job !
LOL! That is SO something I would do!
Lol! Gee Anna you're so mean. That poor guy. Just teasing. That was really funny though. :)
HAHAHAHAHA... you know I would've done the same thing (at least the freaking out part, maybe I wouldn't have figured it out in time to hang up). And I still think all health insurance companies are schmucks themselves, so don't feel bad.
Post a Comment