Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Not A Day Goes By...

I don't think a day has passed in the last week or so that has been free of tears. Except when I was camping on Saturday and Sunday and didn't have the Internet. Not tears because of Jason. Not because of work. Not because of our house. It's because I can't read this blog without crying. Each time I wonder what it is that makes me cry so much (other than the total obvious that it's a tragedy... or is it?). I had never even heard of this family before the accident, but that hasn't kept me from crying and it hasn't stopped me from being inspired.

I cried knowing four children are temporarily without their parents. I cried knowing the parents, if conscious, would be sad they were missing time with their children. I cried learning more about this amazing family. I cried for the pilot and his family. I cried for the siblings and parents. I cried for the pain the family is feeling. I cry every time I talk to Jason about it.

And that was just the beginning.

I cried harder seeing overwhelming and unbelievable amounts of support from family, friends and perfect strangers. Hundreds of silent auctions were held (see them all at www.designmom.com). Through the tears I couldn't help but laugh at her brother's auction. But when I saw the amount of money people were willing to pay for this silly auction, I couldn't help but cry some more. I cried reading of this story being spread around the world and seeing so many good people willing to reach out and help. Even people like I, who had never met the family. So it seems that maybe these are in fact tears of inspiration and of happiness from the evident goodness in the world.

But I cry the hardest when I read about this sweet sister and her amazing family. Reading of her attitude and outlook makes me feel guilty that a complaint ever escapes my mouth. If you don't click on any other links I have put in this post, at least read this. The Spirit that accompanied her words here was completely overwhelming to me. To have such faith, hope and peace during such tragedy has truly inspired me. To see that a "normal" person was loved by so many that she is inspiring thousands as she lies sedated in a hospital room somewhere between life and death makes me want to be better. She was, after all, "just" a mom. But through this tragedy, her spirit, with the help of her family, has touched the hearts of thousands.

I believe that people sometimes go through trials in order to help others. I think we knew what we'd experience in this life and often we saw how it would affect others so we gladly accepted knowing what the eternal outcome would be. This story is the epitome of such beliefs and thoughts.

So despite the tears, I am determined more than ever to be a better wife and mom, sister and friend. I promise to more fully enjoy every day I am blessed with on this earth. Since it is unlikely I will ever have to sacrifice my looks, being a better person seems like the least I can do...

6 comments:

Kathryn said...

I cry too. That is why I just stayed in the kitchen to help during Bro. Kinneard's funeral - I cry too much. I started to cry in church the other Sunday just seeing the Kinneard family.

What is hard on me is thinking that these families are not going through these trials for their benefit, but for ours. And the thing is, that if they knew that before hand (which they probably did in heaven), they still would have chosen the same path.

I will say that Ryan has enjoyed the nicer more loving Kathryn. I have noticed a difference when I try to add more love into our family as these 2 families have shown through their example.

DeWitts said...

I have tears just reading this and i had tears this weekend talking to my husband family who know her and love her and so i'm still crying for them. My heart goes out to them, what a trial to be faced with not only for the parents but also for there children. They will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Unknown said...

My visiting teacher was telling me about this. I guess she knows these people. It is so sad! things like this are so hard to understand... it amazes me how the people going through these trials are always so strong and see the good through all the sadness.

Autumn said...

I totally agree. I believe that alot of the tragedies are to benefit others rather than ourselves.
I don't know the families, but irronically the pilot was in one of Dave's brothers ward and the parents were in another of his brothers wards.

I have enjoyed keeping up with the progress.
You hear that old saying, "Bad things happen to good people".
Well when you are a good person, you know alot of good people and have a lot of good friends. When the tragity happens to that good person, the aquaintances of them have all of these great service opportunities to go above and beyond to help anyway they can. Others will watch as these people do these great services and have a softening of the heart, so to speak, and it all just creates a rippling effect.

While I don't wish a "tragedy" on anyone, I truly believe our Heavenly Father knows the exact goodness that will come out of them.

Julie said...

I've heard so much about this family!!! Ahhhh, my heart is breaking. I can't stop thinking about the children.

Thanks for your inspiration. . . and since I haven't asked in awhile. . . are you crying so much because you are pregnant??!?!

HeeHeeHee

angela hardison said...

Well put - my thoughts (and tears) exactly.