Clara and I rode up with Kathryn and her girls Thursday. Actual departure time was slightly later than planned, which is why Kathryn told Ryan we were "Behind a Fed-Ex truck" when he asked where we were several hours after we were supposed to leave. Too bad the Fed-Ex truck was just a few miles away from my house!
The cabin we stayed in was perfect. It wasn't luxurious, but the size and layout were great. There were seven bedrooms and five bathrooms. Two of the bedrooms in the main area had the bathrooms in the room. One of the bedrooms and bathrooms became "the loft" or what the kids called, "our cabin". It was a detached room above the garage where the older kids (James, Alexis, Justin, Lily, Casey Ann and Micah) slept and showered. It was so nice not having to try to keep them quiet after the babies were in bed every night and I'm sure they loved having their own space.
Everyone except my dad came Thursday. He came on Friday. Until Sunday night, everyone that was coming was there. We missed Emily, Mick and Daniel, but next year we might just have our reunion in California so Emily and Mick can be there. Their kids were still there, which is half the fun.
Jason spent most of the first two days fishing and I realized a vacation near a lake will never be a family vacation for us until the kids are much older. I was telling him how I wished he'd choose to spend time with Clara and me instead of fishing all day to which he replied. "Honey, don't be sad. I love fishing." Oh wait, I'm pretty sure that's the problem: you love fishing, not me!
During the week we played games, read lots of books, went on walks/hikes, explored and just enjoyed the beautiful earth. I, of course, took about 900 too many pictures (my total count was over 1200, woops!) But I couldn't get enough of my cute family and the lovely things around me. I went through all my pictures and selected about 300 that I wanted to post. So many of my pictures tell stories so I had a hard time getting rid of them. That's when I became a collageaholic and made so many collages it will probably make Angela sick. But, I got all my good pictures in and they will be accompanied by my stories.
Someone asked what there is to do up there besides fishing and hiking. Not much, but that's why it was such a perfect place. There wasn't anything demanding our time (except the wee ones, of course) and we didn't have places to be by certain times. I could sit and read a book or watch the squirrels and chipmunks while Clara played in the dirt. Or, we could walk up the hill to the fort or down the hill to the lake.
Here are my pictures. They are in no particular order.
Clara gets really feisty around people she doesn't see often. However, when Steven was willing to let Clara have a leg ride like Lucy, she didn't mind one bit that seconds earlier she was squawking at him.
I don't think I ever put pictures of the roasters I made with the Scouts last year. Here they are and the kids puting them to good use.
We had glow sticks. I don't think these things ever get old, regardless of age. This top picture is of all the kids in a dark room dancing. The middle is of Justin with lights, no lights and then no lights and dancing. And the bottom is me, enjoying my glow sticks before I bitterly gave them to the kids to play with.
Let's go fly a kite.
Many of you have probably seen those GIANT marshmallows at Basha's. I've been waiting patiently to go camping so I had an excuse to buy some. I still think they are pretty cool. Steven told me he could fit four in his mouth. As evidenced by the pictures below, one was a challenge. Another challenge surfaced when Clint put one in his hot chocolate (top right) and realized it is a bit difficult to drink hot chocolate that way.
Moms and kids. Okay, check out that middle picture. I took that of ourselves and told Clara to smile. Well my sweet one, that's not exactly how we smile.
One night we had a pinata. Everyone got a chance to swing, youngest to oldest. Clara: thought it was so fun to chase it. Lucas: got way too excited everytime he touched it. And then screamed when his turn was over. Lucy: loved hitting it and then gave it loves afterwards. Elsa: would barely tap it then smile at everyone watching. Emma: laughed as hard as she hit. Micah: had the biggest smile on his face when his hood fell off his face. Casey Anne: hit it lots. Lily: let you know she played softball by the way she swung. Justin: hit his heart out. Alexis: knocked it off the hook, probably because she was so tall. James: wacked it so hard it came off the string, but still didn't break.
During the pinata (picture in above collage, bottom left) I realized Clara had picked her nose until it bled and was smearing the blood on her face. She loves picking her nose and finding boogers.Near the dam there was a waterfall. It was super rocky, but I wanted to go down it so off I went holding Clara and my camera. Going down wasn't bad. At the bottom, you can't really walk without getting wet so we just sat on a rock for a bit and took pictures. Then we went back up and I realized how important and useful hands are when you're hiking. I had both hands full so I was jumping/climbing rock to rock handless. It was a good workout.
I have so many pictures of feet. I'm not exactly sure when I decided these make for cute shots, but at some point, I did.
Jason caught our dinner one night. It's a good thing, otherwise I told my family to murmur and treat him like Nephi got treated when his bow broke. Fish or not, many enjoyed fishing. Lucas loved this play fishing pole. This is only about half the pictures I have of him with it.
Ahh, flowers. At first glance, it seems there were only a few different wildflowers by us. But being a little more observant made me realize it was covered with beautiful flowers. I loved it. I also found a really cool green plant and an awesome mushroom.
At the lake we realized what a talented family we are. Steven has a dinosaur hand and I myself have a dinosaur arm. Clint can do a funky lip thing. And Angela, Steven and I can all bend the top joint of a finger forward without bending the rest of the finger. It's kind of gross and worse, this wasn't always the case. We all sat in Church one time and held our fingers in that position until it became something we could do. That's how cool we are.
Clara got plenty of attention. (PS I think Jason should wear black socks with shorts more often).
Cousin time was plentiful. It was especially good for the cousins who live out of state (six of the nine).
Too bad my brothers are the camera-haters! Or so they pretend...
The kids caught tons of crawdads. Justin caught the winner. It was HUGE! That night Jason ripped all the tails off and boiled them. We had crawdads dipped in melted butter for our appetizer. I thought it was okay, but others thought they were fantastic.
There were lots of creatures in the mountains. This beautiful pink and black moth, the vibrant tree frog, a horny toad and one nasty spider.
Our visit to the burnt cabins was a little depressing and a little cool. The first one we went to was the worst. It looked like the people didn't take a thing out. They just lit it on fire. There was melted glass everywhere, broken china all over and melted silverware. However, it was cool exploring this stuff and identifying different things. I could've spent hours there. While we were driving around, we saw this super cool tree (center).
Remember those illegal car rides? Well, no one is really sure what rules you have to follow on the Rez, but one thing is for sure: the bed of the truck is always safe. I didn't let Clara ride in the back, instead, she got to sit in the back of Angela's car on the seat. No carseat. Another morning, my mom took all the grandkids and her kids and Kathryn to the store. That would be 13 people in her van. Awesome.
Clara was pretty good. She napped fairly well and never woke up before 7am (I think), which is really good for not being home. She loved to play in the dirt, make funny faces, show off her new shirt, eat giant marshmallows, run and run and run, hide in the closet, fish off the porch, put flowers in her hair, ride the squirt toy like a horse with licorice hanging out her mouth, smell the flowers, have cute legs, look at the lake (and think about how to escape to it), look at me when I call her name with no intention of coming to me, smile, wear her hood and just plop down on the wet grass to enjoy her surroundings. And I loved taking pictures of every move.
Along with the creatures, there were animals. There were squirrels and chipmunks everywhere and they would run up onto the porch while we were sitting there. It was so fun to watch them. I tried to get a better picture of the giant bird (I think a Crane?) but this was all I got. And then the cows. There were lots of cows. But this bull was too huge to ignore. Woah, check him out, he's like twice the size of the cow he's next to.
Every night it was cousin bathtime. One night we styled their hair for the picture. Clara's expressions are awesome. She thought she was so funny splashing. Lucas was downright annoyed.
Oh the beautiful outdoors. I pretty much loved every bit of it. For some reason I was fascinated that along one end of our cabin, there were three different kinds of pine trees, resulting in a row of three very differently colored trees.
My mom brought boats and the kids loved them.
Of course I had to get a cousins picture before we left. I bribed the kids with licorice. It alsmost worked.
We had lots of fun and everything turned out just great. I love my family and think they are the best ever. We have so much fun together. We stayed up way too late many nights (3 and 4 am) visiting, but the lost sleep was well worth the therapy sessions. I wrote down some of the funny things said during the trip, but I don't want to go find it. Maybe another time. This has taken long enough!

10 comments:
Hey, I've been wondering about you! :) This sounds like such a great trip. I'd really like to do cabins sometime soon (vs. tents). Porching sounds divine! Your funniest commentary was the face in the cup holder being all Clara imagined it would be. LOL!! I'm glad you had a great time. :)
That sounds like a fun relaxing tirp. How many pictures did you take? I love the picture of you and Clara with the sun in the background. I'm like you, if I was one who USED to own a cabin up there - I'd burn it down too... and maybe part of the forest too. ;D
WOW! you did take lots and lots of pictures! i love them all. i love picture collages of fun family vacations. what awesome memories. clara is getting so big. she is so pretty. you are too, you look awesome! reading this makes me want to go there with my family soon!
Porching rocks!
oh and ps, your blog always makes me laugh! i love your sense of humor! so...thanks!
WOW! Dont worry,I wont make fun of YOU for taking pics of her 'every move':)...so many beautiful pics, scenery, sounded like so much fun. I think i need to tell my family about it!! When are we gonna hang out now?? I've been waiting by the phone for weeks now:)
I have been patiently waiting to hear about this trip and it looks like you all had a fabulous time!! I LOVED each and every picture. You will have to tell me how to make collages like that too! I just can't get over how big Alexis and Justin are getting, WOW! We'll have to talk and catch up soon. ;-)
I still can't believe how long this post is...
I like it.
That is so weird that your Dad said he lets your Mom trim his nose hairs. Why is that so weird, you ask? Because I am always telling him that he has a bunch of hairs sticking out of his nose. I guess they always miss a few. Sorry for hi-jacking your blog. David Spuhler
Those are some FANTASTIC pictures Anna!! Now I definitely want the same camera as you! :o)
*Where did you find those roasters at?? Now Im dying to get those for Christmas gifts! :o)
Post a Comment