Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Random Thoughts on Death

Well, well, well. Look who is posting again and ignoring, again, her seemingly impossible list of responsibilities. Yup, that's me. But something has been on my mind lately (other than that giant nasty cricket on my wall that I will just ignore since Jason is asleep and I'm a chicken) and I think I'll be able to better direct my focus if I get it off my mind. And the most effective way I can get things "off" my mind is to write about them.

When I get restless while I work, I browse blogs. As I was doing so tonight, I ended up at a fellow blogger's post sharing beautiful memories of her late father. Last week, a little girl in our Stake drowned so this was already on my mind. I didn't even know the family, meaning, I don't even know their name. But how can you now hear something like that and just pray for the family to be comforted? With that on my mind, reading this post got my tears and my thoughts flowing.

I don't like to think, hear or talk about death. It's silly, because it's inevitable. And it truly is just a step into the next life. But for some reason, I feel like if I talk about it, I will jinx myself or someone I love dearly. That's also silly because I know God has a plan, The Plan. If I really think about it in conjunction with my religious beliefs, which allow me to know I can be with my family forever, it shouldn't scare me as much as it does. For example. today at my mom's we were talking about the earthquake in LA. I told her when I was younger, every time I would go to visit Nikki and SaLeah, I would have this fear that "The Big One" was going to occur while I was there and I would die. I was afraid that if I ever told anyone, the chance of it happening would increase. I will be in Cali next weekend and we joked that I would die in one of the aftershocks of this earthquake. That would be just my luck. Even seeing the conversation written out feels threatening to me.

Sometimes I feel guilty realizing I probably don't have as much faith as I should regarding the topic. I wonder if increased faith would allow me to have a better eternal perspective and realize that although it may not seem so at the time, life is so short compared to the eternities. But even with all the faith in the world, can mortals ever really understand that concept? Besides, there is also the pain and hurt until you are reunited with them. A lot of times I hear people say that with what we know, it makes it easier to experience these types of things. I think I would reword this and say that knowing you will see loved ones again makes it bearable. There is still likely so much sadness and so many tears.

Sunday night I just laid in bed wondering how people that are faced with such tragedy go to bed at night. How do you go to sleep knowing your child isn't in their bed? How do you go to sleep knowing the clothes in their closet won't be worn? How do you go to sleep knowing your parent won't be there in the morning? How do you go to sleep knowing they won't be there with you to experience the things that await you in your future? How do you go to sleep knowing you will feel that void every single day for the rest of your life? I couldn't go to sleep for at least an hour as this totally consumed my thoughts. And the conclusion I came to was just as I can not comprehend the pain and heartache they are feeling, I can not comprehend the level of comfort our Savior Jesus Christ has bestowed upon them by way of the Holy Ghost during that time in their life.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi anna-
this is kate (denhalter) lines, i just wanted to say hi.(i am assuming the friends blog you spoke of was my sisters?) i haved loooked at your blog a few times before (from angela's) and i always love how bold you are about the church, you are not afriad to state your beliefs. i love this post. and i love reading your blog. your daughter is adorable... etc. etc. etc. :)
thanks for letting me look.



-kate.

I AM JOE PESCI said...

I agree, even with an eternal perspective, I think the time apart from loved ones would be excruciating.

Good post. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one plagued with thoughts like these when I should be sleeping.

DeWitts said...

I love reading your thoughts. Thanks for sharing. I agree even though we know we will be with our lost ones again its never easy to go on with life.

Cook Zoo said...

Death totally scares me, and I've felt guilty about that too. You've made me feel a lot better to know I'm not the only one. (I get superstitious about the jinx thing too.) I think the only thing that scares me more than just plain old death, is an early or violent death. Shudder.

Kathryn said...

See, I'm the opposite. I feel like if I say it, then it won't happen.

I told Ryan that if he dies, he better visit me and the girls in our dreams.

Deb said...

My thoughts exactly. Ian always gets mad at me because I'm convinced I'm going to die of cancer one day.

I know the saying goes, "better to have loved and lost than to have never have loved at all," but I don't know about that one. I don't think I could handle the pain if anything were to ever happen to one of my children. No one should ever have to go through that. I don't care how much faith someone one has, that would hurt more than anything.

Autumn said...

I know I have said it before, but I will say it again, I thoroughly enjoy reading your "deep thought" posts. That's what I call them.
And I have to say I loved the pic of your daughter eating the Cream of Wheat. I think it is way under-rated. It is one of the things that I have been craving these last
couple of pregnancies.

Julie said...

Seriously that's why I have lots of life insurance. . . but when it comes to a child dying.. . I really can't even think about that.

Cook Zoo said...

Oh, this is off-topic but I forgot to tell you. While waiting in the "line" at the stake pres. office for my temple recommend interview, I ran into one of your clients. (Sorry, I don't remember his name.) But when he said you were his accountant, I had to bite my tongue not to say "yeah, she always blogs how she's doing other stuff instead of her work." LOL! But I didn't want him to get the wrong idea. We all know what you mean. ;)

morgan larsen said...

i have had some of those exact thoughts so in a way it was nice to read what you wrote just to feel that I am not alone (that sounds a little morbid but I think you understand). especially traveling in a part of the world right now that i am not familiar with. i am always afraid something will happen to jamie or me before we get to see our families again or worse something will happen to them while we are gone. aagh! why does life have to be so well life - good and bad, sometimes i would prefer just good :)