Saturday, June 21, 2008

Friday & Books

We haven't been too busy around this house doing things other than working. As a result, I'm on track to hit my goal of trying to make one tank of gasoline in my car last two weeks. Unless I make an unexpected trip tomorrow, I'm right on target, hooray! However, on Friday, Clara and I went to take care of a few things at KS then to my mom's to swim. It was perfect. It was obviously hot enough outside, but the water wasn't too cold or too warm (I'm sure Arizona is the only place that pool water gets too warm). Since I was swimming, I didn't get any pictures. But Clara loved the pool and it felt good to swim around and get a little exercise. I am pretty sure my next house needs a pool.

On Friday night Jason got home from work early, well 5:45 is early relative to when he's gotten home every other night this week. Clara hadn't seen him since Wednesday morning so I figured we needed to go on a family outing. We went out to eat and then went shopping. I decided it's not a good idea to go shopping with Jason. I have a hard time buying things, especially lately, but Jason makes me buy anything I'm considering buying. We had fun though and got home way too late for Clara.

In other news, I've finished a few books in the last month. A few weeks ago I finished These Is My Words by Nancy Turner. I can't remember if I already talked about this one, but if I did, it's worth mentioning again. I couldn't put it down and don't remember loving a book this much. Okay, I loved the story of Twilight, but I appreciate the actual writing in this book too, not just the story. So anyway, one of my favorite things about this book was how "naive" Sarah (the main character) was. Her descriptions of things were so literal. To me the way she spoke was similar to someone learning a new language. They say things and describe things exactly how they are and avoid cliches. I thought that added such a great dimension to the author's writing. And I couldn't help but embrace the love story. Then again I always love characters or relationships that I can personally relate to.

My next book, A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini, was better written in my opinion. Although These Is My Words had plenty of sad, tearful moments, such moments in this book were on a totally different level, which makes me hesitate to say it was a better book. It takes place from the 1970's to the early 2000's in Afghanistan and my goodness gracious it makes me proud and happy to live in America. The intentional oppression against women pales in comparison to the unfortunate and somewhat unavoidable events that took place in the late 1800's/early 1900's as Arizona was settled. Again, I thought the author was amazing, particularly his analogies and descriptions, but the events were somewhat unsettling and disturbing. This was intensified knowing it was probably pretty close to reality in that part of the world. There were times I felt like I couldn't handle it anymore and almost stopped, but Angela and Rachel both liked it so I knew there must be a reason why. It ended in a beautiful way, but it didn't make the emotions I felt as I was reading disappear.

Now, I'm attempting to read The Life of Pi by Yann Martel. It's taken me all week to read 18 pages. So either it's not a very good book or I just read two amazing books so I need some down time to be able to lower my expectations slightly. If anyone has read it, please tell me it gets better so I can get the motivation to pick it up and finish it before my next book club! Oh, and I also need some more book suggestions. So tell me your favorite books so I can read them and then post my completely opinionated remarks about them. :)

8 comments:

Deb said...

I couldn't get motivated about these is my words, but now that everyone keeps talking about it, I think I'll give it another go. Although if it's sad and you think I might cry a lot, then I don't want to read it. I don't like crying and I hate hearing about other peoples hardships because I take it way too personally.

Ogre said...

Book suggestions The Gulag Archepeligo by Solttzinitzim probably misspelled by close enough

Tell Jason to at least drive to our house and then ride the 2 miles, he looks like he is gaining weight

Bekah: said...

these is my words is one of my favorite books too. i was a little skeptical when i heard it was about the Az territory in pioneer days (not usually my thing) but I loved it! Life of Pi is also a good one. I really liked it.

Cook Zoo said...

Yet another fan of These Is My Words. I love that book! I've heard mixed things about the Life of Pi, so I haven't had a lot of desire to read it. I can't decide if I want to read A Thousand Splendid Suns or not. What you said about it echoes what I hear from others, and even though it sounds excellent, I think it may be too intense for me.

mommy said...

I just finished Sarah's Quilt, which is the sequel to These Is My Words. It wasn't as good as the first one but it was still worth reading.

JLynn said...

i think it's great that you are always reading so many books. you seem to find time for everything in life. :) i honestly don't know how you do it! i lose interest in books if the author doesn't keep the story going at a fast pace. The book usually has to be so good that it distracts me from everything else. :)

Julie said...

You need to read the others in the "These is My Words" serious. They are great.

Also, I've heard "Fire by Night" series is good. Its about a women in the Civil War era and I think there are three books--one from a Northern Women, one from a Southern Women, and one from a Slave women. Its next on my list. I'll let you know when I actually read it.

I haven't started "The Thirteenth Tale" because I've been trying to get through "Life of Pi." I'm on page 6. You have me beat (who picked that book anyway? I wasn't there. . . )

Candice said...

I really need to read These is My Words, especially since it's the READ AZ BOOK OF THE YEAR book, or whatever they call it. I feel guilty getting my degree in Library Science and I haven't even read that book yet. I have like a million books I need to read. I keep telling myself "when I'm done with this assignment or that project, then I will sit down and start a book" but that just never happens! I can't justify reading a book for pleasure when i have too much homework to do and books to read for class. Too bad right now they are all boring text books. Someday I'll be done and I"ll be an old lady sitting in my rocking chair with nothing else to do but read a good book. SOMEDAY.......