Monday, June 23, 2008

Cry Me a River

I had a good day, I really did. I got lots done while Clara slept, Clara "helped" me do the dishes, I went to my meeting, got gas and went to the grocery store. But I have a few things to say...

I saved my first gas receipt that was over $40 because I couldn't believe it (it was in California, so I was eased into always paying more than $40). Today I got gas and it was $51.05. What? For some reason it never registered that with gas where it is I'd be paying over $50 a tank. I guess these days that's what happens when you go 2 weeks on a tank of gas... gas goes up another 20 cents a gallon. I probably have one of the smallest gas tanks they put in cars so I am sure plenty of you would like to tell me to cry you a river (trust me, I already have). I wonder how long people that were barely making it before are going to keep making it. I know, I know, we kind of fall into the "barely making it" category, but if needed, we could liquidate our meager 401(k). Or I could sell my left big toe or get a fifth job, so no worries. :) But it just seems like at some point, something has to change.

And then there are grocery store lines. I ALWAYS pick the wrong one. It's probably due to me making such an effort to try to get in the fastest line, which is obviously a talent I lack. I consider the age of the people in the lines, the speed of the cashier, whether there is a bagger, the number of people in front of me and the amount of items they have. But somehow, I always watch people walk out before me that should've been behind me. I did it again today. It was close. Until the cashier charged the people in front of me for 32 stalks of celery instead of 2 and had to get a Manager to help correct it.

Once I finally got checked out, I headed to the car. It really didn't feel like Summer to me until a few weeks ago. But today I realized why they put heat advisory warnings on the news. Because it's hot! I'm not normally out and about in the afternoon and now I know why I'll continue to avoid it. I can't believe how hot the inside of cars get.

But like I said, it's been a good day. Because really, gas prices and being a bad grocery store line picker are no reason to ruin a perfectly good sweltering hot Arizona summer day. :) Clara agrees.

11 comments:

Julie said...

I also ALWAYS pick the worst line. I agree that I'm probably trying too hard. The worst is when you get in a line behind someone who is writing a check (hello, 21st century???) and they don't even start writting until they get the total. AHHHHGGG! I'm mad just thinking about it!

DeWitts said...

One time i picked a register that wasn't even open, i just started putting my stuff on the counter i was with my sis misti and we just thought how stupid the people around us was until some came up to us and said they weren't open but they would check us out anyways.

Deb said...

Lines don't bother me at all unless my children are behaving badly. Then a long line feels like an eternity. One time both of my kids were throwing a fit and screaming at the top of their lungs(they were mad I wouldn't let them get popcicles) and the cashier was taking her sweet time, trying to calm them down and talk to them. I just wanted to yell at her to check me out so I could get out of the stinkin' store.

Kate said...

I always pick the wrong line too. I used to think it was something I inherited, but now I'm realizing that there is usually only one good line and the rest are awful. Almost always, the good line will be right next to yours just so you can see other people who got to the register after you, leave before you. Don't you love it?

Bevell Family said...

Gas is Crazy!!! $80 a tank.. And I know I drive tooooo much... I also remember our first apartment was $160 a month and I didn't know how we were going to make it. Then we bought our first place... a condo and it was $270 a month...The budget was really stretched... This makes me seem ancient huh? And I think I look pretty good for ancient... hee hee I am amazed at how we get thru and how fast times change. I pray a lot!!

Smiles,
Sean A'lee

Rhiannon said...

I know what you mean. I have to put about $70 in my car and Mike puts about $50. He wonders where all our money is going too? The gas stations. I think I'm going to start just filling it at a half a tank. I can't stand it. I just hope that things will get a little better. Or I will start taking the bus.

Cook Zoo said...

Yeah, the price of gas drives me crazy. Really, really crazy. I can think of a million other things I'd rather do with my money than spend it on stinkin gas. I'd LOVE to walk places more if:

1. Cities were constructed in such a way that I didn't have to walk 5 miles just to get to WalMart.

2. I knew what to do with my little munchkins while walking to all these errands I can't get to because they're too far away.

3. It weren't so stinkin hot.

And if I walk to the store and buy cases of water on sale, how exactly am I supposed to get those cases home???? Whatever.

I'm crying a river right along with ya babe.

I AM JOE PESCI said...

I dunno . . . I cry a river over gas prices and lousy choices in grocery lines as well. You aren't alone.

I wonder if hitchhiking will make a comeback.

Autumn said...

Anna, Hello! I just found Beka's blog and am having fun looking at all of her friend links, and I knew I would find you! Your little family looks so happy! So are you in California? You just mentioned about the gas receipt. I did cry, when I had to fill up our little minivan and it was $98.00!! Yeah, It's not like we're driving a suburban. I mean come on! My husband just keeps giving me the realistic reminder me that in Europe they are paying $8.00/gallon. He gives me no hope.
It is fun to catch up with how you are doing and look forward to catching up some more!

Miller Family said...

Seriously...It is SO HOT!!! I'm feeling the high gas prices as well...haven't been making as many needless trips as I like to. ;) Still love the cute pic of Clara!

P.S. Thanks for the great recipes!! ;)

Kami Milliron said...

My Husband and I were just talking about that the other day. We always seem to pick the slowest line in the Grocery Store. And the Cashier always seems to be the one person in the store who hates their job !

I can't get over the gas prices. I know it's worse in other places, but it blows my mind that I went from filling my tank at $10 - $15 and now it takes about $45. Even groceries are getting more expensive.