Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mothers... What Else?

Although it would be funny to talk about fathers in this particular blog post, I'll go ahead and be normal and talk about mothers. But only because I have complete respect and love for mothers. Earlier this week I started reading "I Am a Mother" by Jane Clayson Johnson. I've heard it before, we are not just mothers. We are mothers. But from what I've read thus far, I've realized something sad. I respect mothers, I love being a mother and I treasure this time in my life. But that hasn't kept me from telling people "I just stay home" and when I do, I'm sure to say, "But I work part-time from home". I don't do this because I don't think motherhood is important or that staying home is challenging and rewarding in a league all of it's own. I do it because of my audience. I do it because I anctipate that's what other's think of the choices I've made so I feel I need to impress them and glamorize my decision to be a stay-at-home mom. After recognizing this, I've decided to be more proud about being a mom and not feeling like I need to dress up my decision to stay home and work from home. It doesn't even matter that I'm working. What matters to me is that I'm able to be a mother to one sweet little girl and I will be proud of that role, regardless of what others may see it as.

I love and admire all the mothers in my life for different reasons: Emily for working full time with her two kids and driving far to and from work; Rachel for her happy medium of love and discipline; Kathryn for her patience with kids; Angela (although she did get flowers today, I'm pretty sure she's not on track to be a mom anytime soon) for loving her nieces and nephews as a mother; and, Connie for happily raising SEVEN boys (that's right, happily). And of course, of all the mothers I know, I happen to think my mom is the best.

My mom is awesome. She is a great mother and the best grandmother anyone could ask for. She has taught me so much about not only mothering and homemaking, but about life. My two favorite things my mom has taught me through her near-perfect example are how to love children unconditionally, at all stages of life, and how to put yourself aside and drop anything and everything whenever the need arises to help someone else out. I love my mom and I love this picture: my mother and the little one that gets to call me mother.
We've had a crazy weekend and unfortunately, it's not over. Only after the chaos momentarily ends tomorrow will I be able to update the world on the festivity-filled weekend we've had.

7 comments:

Deb said...

You have a beautiful little girl.

I'll have to read that book you are talking about. I sometimes need a little reminder about the importance of being a mother. Thanks for your blog. It made me feel good about being a mom.

Amy said...

Your blog is so fun, Anna! Yor are amazing for being able to be such a good mom AND work from home!

Your mom is such a wonderful mother! Tell her hi for me!

JLynn said...

anna, you are an excellent mom and you do have an amazing mother. your family has always been a great example to me. clara is a lucky bean to have so many wonderful women in her life to learn from. :)

I AM JOE PESCI said...

Can't wait to hear the updates on your crazy weekend!

Julie said...

Sounds like your mom taught you the most important stuff. You sure are lucky.

angela hardison said...

I cry when I think about how much I love Mom and what a great example she is.

Anna, I've been anxiously waiting for an update with all the billions of pictures you took with my camera. I can't wait much longer.

And why are you holding that leg-raise picture of me hostage? Huh?

Bevell Family said...

Hi Anna,
Yeah!! I found your blog on Julie's blog...how fun. I am new to blogging so it is double fun to feel like I can get to know you all better. Love your thoughts... you are very entertaining. Take care and thanks for being such a great scout leader to Izaak. See ya tomorrow. :)
Smiles,
Sean A'ee