It began on a Thursday morning... Clara and I took Adalyn to the Zoo. Her parents are Arizona-haters (just kidding) so they decided to move to Utah. I figured one less 20 month old helping pack might speed things up so why not take her to the Zoo? The only downfall was I didn't find a double-stroller in time so there I was with a 16-month and 20-month old in a single stroller. The girls really didn't seem to mind it for the first 45 minutes. Then, I took them out and Adalyn had a hard time parting with the stone frog. Kiri, you should really look into getting one of these for her room.
Friday morning Jason's parents came and they watched Clara while we went to a luncheon at some hotel by ASU for the Civil Engineer graduates. The food was pretty good and although it was a tad boring, I'm glad we went. They had all the graduates go to the front and say thanks to whomever. Jason thanked me for my patience. My favorite was the guy that said, "I'm thankful for my mom, she's right there taking a picture, and she can't understand a single thing I'm saying." (He was Mexican). Or, maybe it was the guy that said, "I'm thankful for my wife because she would buy my books for me and let me keep the money when I sold them back." I definitely didn't like everyone that thanked parents and grandparents for financial support. Just kidding, I was just jealous. PS from here until Saturday night I borrowed Angela's camera so I wouldn't find myself having an indicent with my camera in the middle of graduation. Thanks Ang!
We just hung out a bit before we had to leave for graduation.
The graduation...
We went to our house to pick up Connie, Rodney and Clara. Then back we went to ASU for graduation. Let me just say it's awesome to have two grandmas and one grandpa to one grandchild. Golden children have it easy... or should I say golden children's parents have it easy! I don't think I ever had to carry Clara the whole night. As we were standing around looking for a seat, some nice lady said there were four seats in front of her that she didn't think were taken. They weren't, it was the third row up and even luckier, it was directly up from Jason's row and he was near the end. It was nearly the perfect seat. Plus, the nice people behind us kept giving Clara popcorn and eventually would just put handfulls of it into Clara's snack container when she'd say please and look at it. The woman couldn't believe how much she was eating; I tried to warn her. They were LDS, from New York and between the two of them, they have 8 kids so they had no problem with it. Thank you nice lady for sharing with my little piggy. They were both Engineers and the man also got his MBA from MIT. Not too shabby, I say!
One of my absolute favorite parts of the graduation was the opening music. They had a group of bagpipe players enter playing and they played as all the graduates assembled. Live bagpipe music is incredible. Scotland, anyone? Graduation was WAY too long. We probably had twice as many graudates and mine was under two hours. This one lasted nearly two and a half hours. They only talk I enjoyed was Ira Fulton's. He rocks. He just had funny and encouraging things to say. Like, "Someone asked me how he can get his name on the side of a building. I told him, it's easy, you just write a check for $50 million." What a character. Fortunately, my mom was more than happy to take Clara away (she was not into sitting still and she discovered her bribe before the ceremony even started). They walked around, ran in the grass and ate lots and lots of popcorn.
Joel, Trent, Jason & Ryan: These boys spent far too much time together during the last little while. I was hoping to get more pictures of these fellas, but they decided to leave too soon. I guess one is all we need, right? Too bad there's a balding head in it with them!
BS Civil Engineering, yippeee!
When it finally ended, we went and found Jason. I couldn't resist getting a picture in the same spot I got one. Too bad it was dark and the pond is not near as beautiful as it was when I graduated. I am so proud of Jason and his hard work. One thing I learned from watching Jason go through school was how much harder school can be for different people. School came so naturally to me but I watched Jason struggle and spend more time in a semester than I did in four years (it seemed) with results that weren't the same. I'm glad I could witness that hard work doesn't always get A's because what matters is trying your best and not giving up. I am hoping this will help me be more understanding when my children are in school.
Oh, to be young again!
Dinner out, celebration number one...
From there we went to Famous Dave's (Jason's request) for dinner. My mom went home to get Lily and Lamar met us there. Clara really enjoyed the pig that came out to visit. Personally, I can't imagine how much I'd have to get paid to act like that, in a full costume in the Summer. Wewsh!I started practicing my self-portraits with Angela's camera as we waited.
And annoyed other people by taking their pictures.
I can't say I enjoy their food as much as Jason, but we had a fun crowd. Clara entertained us with her lemon faces and no, I don't make her eat them. She asks for them. And continued to eat it after this picture.
Thanks to Aunt Lily, once Clara was done with her food, I got to keep eating mine and didn't have to try to keep Clara happy in her high chair. It was late, she was tired but I still got to eat in peace.
After dinner we went to our house and visited for a little bith with Connie, Rodney and Lamar. I went to bed "early" (Midnight or so, lol) so I wouldn't be completely dead on Saturday.
Since I didn't have enough going on...
I had to go to the Cub Scout Day Camp Saturday morning. I was at the church at 7:15am. I think the boys had fun and I did too for a little bit. Then it got old sitting around and worrying about how I would get everything done I needed to. The boys needed a bit of encouragement, but not four or five leaders worth. Meanwhile, Clara got some practice with her shopping skills (they were there for hours with no stroller).
Day Camp lasted until 1:30pm, at which time I rushed home. I still had to buy most of the food and prepare it. I knew it'd be close, but with all the help I anticipated, I wasn't too worried.
The anti-climatic party, celebration number two...
We got to my mom's around 4:00pm and Lily watched Clara while I started prepping and Jason went to Wal Mart (for the second time). My mom started feeling super sick and had to go sit down and eventually went to bed for the rest of the night. My poor mom got the flu so not only could she not help (I know she missed out, huh?) but she didn't get to see anyone or enjoy the food or the party. She felt so bad and wanted to make sure I knew she'd never do that on purpose. She is too funny. With one helper down, I started to worry. Then, my other helpers didn't show up and it was five so I kind of started panicking. I knew there was no way I could prepare all of the food alone. I'm stubborn and don't like to ask for help, until I panick.
Right about then, Amy called to make sure the party was that night. I think I forced her into offering to help, but she came willfully (I promise) and saved the day. I was SO grateful to her and everyone else who helped when they arrived. It wasn't quite all done at six, but with how much we got done with so few people, we were lucky we ate by 6:30pm. Up until that last minute, even Lily was doing dishes so the kitchen was clean.
Things I learned from this party: Superstition Ranch Market is totally awesome (more than twice the vegetables and fruit needed to serve 40 people or so was $44, how cool is that?), I love throwing parties, watermelons can be yellow (yeah, Amy cut open the watermelon only to find it was yellow... like it was a yellow watermelon, not that it wasn't ripe. It was actually delicious, just a little deceiving) and I will have my daughter's weddings catered. :)
Menu and guests...
Much to Jason's pleasure (well, just the wings part), we had hot wings, yoshida wings, 9 vegetables (okay, I went a little overboard) with dip, fruit with dip, crackers with either a bell pepper/pineapple cheese dip or a sun-dried tomato dip and brownies and rice krispy treats for dessert. After I explained it all, Ryan asked me if we had any dip. What can I say, dips complete everything. We barely had enough wings (I bought 30 pounds but only cooked 20 thanks to my mother's suggestion), had a good amount of fruits and veggies and came home with no rice krispy treats and just a few brownie crumbs. For the record, so I know who not to invite next time, just kidding, but this is who was able to make it: moms and dads, Ryan, Kathryn, Lucy, Elsa, Angela, Clint, Lily, James (he was there the beginning and left but came back just as we were packing up and the first thing he did was offer to help us carry stuff out, how nice is that?), Kevin, Chrystie, Mason, Tanner, Caitlyn, Amy, Steven, Ryan, Steven, Lamar, Landry, Lindsay, Trent, Karen, Beka, Danny, Landon, Braden, Eric, Shauna, Brenden and Nikki. You rock Amy!
Trent graduated with Jason. He's completely done and works at Wood Patel too. I'm pretty sure Lindsay has some of the same feelings as me and is glad to have a husband again.
I decided to take pictures of people at the party... I started saying "Act like you like each other" but realized that might be asking too much of some, so it was, "Act like you know each other"...
Yes, Jason graduated, but no, he's not done completely. :) Jason has two more Summer classes to take. So it was either graduate before or after, in December. I figured celebrating a few months before it's completely official was better than five months after. Plus, I knew his parents would most likely be here for graduation soit made sense to have a celebration the same time. Jason said he felt funny having people give him cards and tell him congratulations when it's not official. Soon enough, though. Eight weeks sounds like a breeze compared to the last four and a half years, so I figured although anti-climatic, a celebration was totally appropriate. He's almost there, so very very close. And at this point, it's pretty much a guarantee that it will end with the last day of his eight week class.

11 comments:
Holy COW ANNA!!!! You are amazing. Let me just say that to contribute to your "comment" self-esteem. It is true. Now you need a massage. Or a medal. Or something! Other truths: you look absolutely stunning in those cap/gown pictures. And I love the sour lemon faces! Please bring her over ANYTIME you need a break.
I am in awe. How do you do it all? I'm just stressing over having the bug guy come over for an inspection and then taking the kids to the dentist this afternoon.
You rock Anna. I'm always here for ya, if you need a break. Seriously.
And Congrats to Jason!!
Congrats to Jason on his graduation! you got a lot of cute pictures while you were making memories. thanks for asking how I was doing. We all pretty much just have horrible coughs and are over the gross flu part. I'd love to come over for rolls and chicken soup. Thanks for inviting me, when should I come over? :)
Congratulations Jason! It must be nice to have all that hard work behind you.
Man- that made me tired for you just seeing everything you have been doing! You are crazy! I would be in the nut farm! HAHA!
Congrats to Jason!
Wow! I'm in awe, really how do you do it? Congrats to Jason!
I know you say clients, but come on, you really only have one client that matters.
Congrats to Jason, that has got to feel good! How Awesome... did you forget that he was at Cub Pack Meeting too!! Hee Hee. Which you did a most "MARVELOUS" job I must say! Was way fun. Great posts... :)
Smiles,
Sean A'lee
Anna thanks for saying that. You are so sweet. :)
Holy Moly! I think you are one of the busiest people I know! You amaze me that you can still get so much work done and be an amazing mom at the same time!
Yes, I think that was the longest post EVER. But, it was interesting! Thanks SO MUCH for taking Adalyn to the zoo. She kept talking about it for quite awhile. I loved the pictures... seeing Clara and Adalyn in that stroller was priceless. You are awesome. We miss you already!
Post a Comment