Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Weight

Tomorrow Scouts resumes (I've enjoyed 3 weeks off) and I am in charge of the activity. The requirement we are working on is all about nutrition and cooking. I was on the mypyramid.gov website and wanted to see how much I should be eating and this is the notice I received upon inputting my information...

Please Note:
The weight you entered is below the healthy range for your height. This may increase your risk for health problems. Some people with a very lean body build or young adults who are still growing may not be at a higher risk. Check with your health care provider to see if you should try to gain weight. If you have recently lost weight, have health problems, or have difficulties with eating, speak with your health care provider.

It then gives me two options: a plan for my current weight or a plan to gradually work toward a healthier weight. I love how weight is such a false indicator of degree of health these days. There are people that are a little bit heavier than the norm that are healthier than those right on track just as there are those that are under that are healthier as well. I'm pretty sure they should ask me what I eat, how active I am, how much I sleep and how I feel. Wouldn't the answers to those questions paint a MUCH more accurate pictures of one's health?

3 comments:

The Gotzingers said...

Don't sweat it!!
You are WAY healthy and you know it! :o) You're fit as a fiddle!! You look great!

Ryan said...

The weight you entered is above the healthy range for your height. Extra weight can put you at a higher risk for many health problems including type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, and heart disease. Click here for more information about health risks you may have. Talk with a health care provider about a diet and physical activity program that is right for you.

Maren said...

i was gonna say, you look rather skinny! hehe