Friday, January 4, 2008

My Opinion

If you are offended by other's opinions, please, read no further. Last night I watched a bit of coverage on the Iowa Caucus. First, why did they have to make that word sound so much like carcass? That's really the first word I associate caucus with each time I hear it. Anyway, so I heard bits and pieces of the top three Democratic candidates' speeches along with the top two Republican's. I follow politics enough to participate in a conversation regarding such and so that I feel educated when it comes time to vote. I don't normally follow different things super close, but I think this is going to be an interesting election. It already has been interesting. I think by this time next year our country will have a president that is a first: either the first female, the first Black or the first Mormon president. How can the campaign get more exciting than that?

Anyone that knows me knows I don't think we should ever have a female president. Maybe there are females out there that are more manly, but I am a firm believer that women more typically follow their heart and that's a good thing so that when men use ONLY their brain and show emotion, the result is a pleasant neutral world. I don't want an emotional Commander in Chief because quite frankly, emotional decisions can't be beneficial when dealing with the USA (wars, health care, taxes, etc.).

With that said, here is my opinion of five of the presidential candidates, in order of probably least liked to most liked:

H. Clinton: are you serious? Last night she said something in her little speech that is still bothering me this morning. She said something to the effect that you should vote for her if your a Democrat, an Independent or a Republican who's seent the light. That just irritated me thinking that there are people out there that will vote for a candidate JUST because of their party affiliation when in fact they should elect someone that you feel will run the country in a way you'd be happy with, someone that isn't afraid to be unpopular for making a right decision and someone that will lay a foundation for a better future. The most important thing shouldn't be whether they are Republican or Democrat or one of the independent parties. She sounds like a man and I'd be afraid to be near her when she gets mad. Plus, someone should tell her having Mr. Bill stand next to her during her public appearances isn't helping her chances.

J. Edwards: good looking or not, this man is certainly trying to appeal to ONLY those that are in favor of government sponsored health insurance. He sat there and told story after story about unfortunate situations where individuals didn't have health insurance and suffered because of it. This seems to be his ONLY thing and to be honest, I don't have a whole lot of sympathy. If you are really truly poor, there is already government assistance to help you. If you are only kind of poor (like Jason and I :)), you can get insurance for pretty cheap. It won't be great, but it also won't bankrupt you if you have a medical emergency. Furthermore, I would be so bold as to say a lot of these people that "can't afford" insurance spend money on one of the following: cigarettes, alcohol, sattelite/cable, etc. I'm not saying everyone in this situation is at fault, but I would say there are definitely those that choose not to be able to afford insurance. Oh, and I would love to ask this man how he became so wealthy. I do believe it was suing the pants off of doctors and other's in the medical field... and we all know what that does to insurance premiums!

B. Obama: I actually don't know enough about this guy to complain too much. He just seems very inexperienced. He seems to try to appeal to the touchy feelies out there. He also doesn't seem to be realistic. He has hope for a perfect world... don't we all?

M. Huckabee: If I was voting based on names, this guy might win. Huckabee, that's a cool last name. Anyway, he also seemed like a fairly decent candidate. His voice sounds an awful lot like Romney's and he just spoke to the people at his speech, not really preaching his platforms like some of the other's. He also didn't seem genuine. He said some good things, but I felt like he was saying them to appease his listeners (I guess that means he's a true politician, right?).

M. Romney: I really do think this man is brilliant. I also didn't hear much of what he said last night, but every time I hear him speak I believe what he says. He seems genuine and so calm. I have much confidence in him and let me just say again, I think he's brilliant.

5 comments:

JLynn said...

anna, you sound just like CURT! :) Curt is all about following these candidates and what they've said about each other. this is what's always on our tv these days and curt keeps me up-to-date and informed on all these politicians. Curt doesn't like Huckabee and the fact that he was on jay Leno in Hollywood the night before the Iowa Caucus (i think the same thing as you when i hear that word)Curt thinks it's a joke Huckabee won Iowa. I'm personally not as opinionated as Curt and you on this subject matter, but I'm glad I have people like you guys in my life to keep me on my toes about this & that with the on-goings of the upcoming presidential election. The Democrat National Convention will be held in Denver early February I am pretty sure. The co is a democratic state and we get peeved that everything has a democratic spin on it here, the news stories/reported stories esp. are ALL pretty much democrat. I'm sure we will be hearing EVERYTHING about the Democrat Convention in Denver. As you know, I enjoy hearing your opinions, so thanks for sharing!

Beka said...

well, the boys MAYBE want to play with her too:) call me and let me know! they have pretty nasty coughs right now though and i doubt it will all clear up by then,but that and runny nose are their only symptoms, they dont seem to sickly! i think i might copy you for their b-day party and do a lunch, i was going to do a sunday night party on their b-day but the day before might be better!

The Gotzingers said...

My vote is for Romney!!

angela hardison said...

My two cents, from a completely shameless acknowledgment that I: a) know nothing about politicis, and b) haven't made myself care too much yet....

Romney: good-looking! charming.

Huckabee: I think he sounds more like President Bush than Romney. Good name, yes.

Obama: I like his name. Seems like a nice guy.. I vote for him 2nd.

Edwards: Honestly, don't know a thing about him.

Clinton: Her face scares me! Have you seen those awful pictures of her??

The Gotzingers said...

David and I were talking about this the other day and we've decided that if Hillary wins for some awful reason ... we are moving to Canada!! :o) LOL!!!