Monday, November 12, 2007

Surprises

26 years, 312 months, 1,352 weeks, 9,490 days, 227,760 hours, 13,665,600 minutes, 819,936,000 seconds... anyway you look at it, that's how old I was at 1001 am. Today I woke up and had a little surprise on the counter that made me smile: a rather large card from Jason. Later, Clara pulled a piece of paper out of the recycle can, which I later found out was Jason's failed attempt at copying Angela's pop-out card for Clint. Poor Jason was up until 200 am having issues with this card and then finally scrapped it and made a different one.
Kathryn called me to see if Jason and I wanted to come over for treats after FHE. I called Jason to see if he had plans and he said, "No." At least I can count on him being honest! I was a little sad he didn't plan anything (or say he would plan something) but I was trying not to let it bother me too much. After all, I got a card and that was one step ahead of the last holiday! He said he'd be leaving work at 600pm and so I suggested we go to Kathryn's around 700 pm and he said that'd be great.

Beka and her boys brought me Sonic and Angela came over after work and we all just hung out. I was SO glad they came to visit me because I would have been really bored and probably would have found myself feeling sorry for myself that I had nothing to do on my birthday and my husband didn't seem like he wanted to help the situation. I don't mind sitting around as long as I have good company. Plus, goose was there to keep me happy. Notice her pants in this picture: a wee bit too big around her waist and it makes her look like a midget with short little legs. Jason came home around 600 pm and while I originally planned on making dinner, I opted not to and to ask him what was for dinner when he got home (thinking maybe he'd bring me something). He brought me some beautiful flowers in a watering pot (just what I wanted for my garden). The dinner thing, however, still wasn't getting through to him. I asked him if he'd hoped for the dinner fairy to make dinner or if he wanted to me to make it. Anyway, he said we'd get something on the way to Ryan and Kathryn's, which we didn't. Obviously, I was completely starving and a little sad that even after several very STRONG non-physical nudges I still wasn't getting dinner on my birthday.

When we got to Ryan and Kathryn's, I walked in and smelled brownies and thought, "Mmmmm, brownies and ice cream, that sounds good... especially since I haven't eaten dinner." As I walked in I noticed a table in the dining room all set up with an elaborate display of toppings for ice cream and lots of brownies. I got really confused and asked, "Are there more people here?" and then saw everyone in the family room. I'm not sure if my brain processed what was going on before or after I heard, "Surprise!" That's right, my first surprise birthday party ever... and the best thing is I had NO clue. Not even a hope that something like that would happen because it never even crossed my mind. I have always been able to catch on to Jason when he is planning something because he gets so giddy. I'm sure my face turned a lovely shade of red as everyone sang to me and all eyes were on me (that is so awkward). I just didn't know what to think, so I didn't, I just smiled. :)
I haven't seen Matt and Lindsay forever (I don't think since Beka's wedding because only Matt was at Tyler's...) and they've only recently moved back but they were there, so that was fun. Here are some of the wonderful guests... notice we had three sets of twins in our company tonight!
Lily and Tanner
Three stooges
People, including Clint's radical expression.
Kathryn, Miss {Wonderful} Host
Beka, me and Amy... we're all laughing because the second before the picture took, Beka says, "Chins up!" and in unison, all three of our chins shot up.
Lindsay and the Palmer twins
My dad snuck away to sleep in the living room... poor guy never sleeps. I do have to mention that my mom gives us a card every year on our birthday and my dad has NEVER written on them. I, however, must have a lucky year in store because my dad wrote me the funniest note on the card. It was a pleasant treat.
Matt and Gavin
Kathryn and 1/2 of the Melzer twins
Our little family: if you can't tell, Clara was thrilled to have a picture taken. :) She missed her afternoon nap because she didn't want to sleep when Braden and Landon were there, but other than not wanting to smile and look at the camera she was pretty behaved for being SO sleepy.
The Pickett twins
A very serious conversation
The other 1/2 of the Melzer twins - at this point in the night, the clip holding her bangs back was long gone and she's signing 'please'. Whenever they want something, they sign 'please'. I laugh and say they've learned to beg in sign language.
Maren and Brynlee (don't worry, I already told her the bow was too big for her head, LOL!)
My mommy, Clara and I... once again, Clara is thrilled that I've taken advantage of another photo opportunity.
At Ryan and Kathryn's, Jason asked me if I wanted to get take out on the way home. Then, as we were driving home, it became apparent he was not planning on going anywhere so I brought it up again, since he'd made mention of it several times... Jason must think I'm fat because I had not had dinner and he saw no problem in it. He'd laugh when I brought it up like he didn't see why I wanted to eat. Of all the days he chose to starve me, did he have to do it on my birthday? Since it was 900pm and he had so much to do, we went to Panda Express. He must have been so excited about the surprise that he never even thought about doing anything for dinner. Even after I brought it up multiple times, he still never thought of it. Oh how things change once you get married.

Thanks thanks thanks to everyone that came to celebrate, called, e-mailed, posted sweet thoughts about me (true or not Jen and Beka, ha!) or thought about me today. My day was special thanks to all of you! Who knew a random 26th birthday could have been so enjoyable when all things were considered?

Who was at the party tonight: {Ryan, Kathryn, Elsa, Lucy}{Maren, Scott, Brynlee}{Angela, Clint}{Mom, Dad, Daniel (just long enough to give me a hug), James, Lily}{Amy, Steven, Ryan, Steven}{Beka, Danny, Braden, Landon}{Matt, Lindsay, Blake, Brooklynn, Gavin}{Doug, Suzanne, Tanner, Jack}{Jason, Me, Clara}

8 comments:

Beka said...

actually AMY said 'chins up'...and i should NOT have listened to her...horrible pic of me! do NOT put that pic on the "CD"! Thanks for having a birthday so we could get together!

The McCall Family said...

I hope you had a great day even if you didn't get dinner with your husband. You are so lucky to spend it with so many friends and family. I can't believe how old you are!! j/k Happy Birthday!!

Unknown said...

Happy Happy Birthday! I am glad you had a good day!

Lindsay said...

I'm glad we were able to celebrate your birthday with you!!! :) Happy Birthday, Anna!

Lindsey Kilpatrick said...

Happy Belated Birthday Anna!!! It sounds like you had a great time.

angela hardison said...

That's really funny that Jason tried to copy my card. And even funnier that I thought it was from Lily when I saw it.

Clint just loves making weird faces for the camera...you should see the collection I have.

The Gotzingers said...

HEY ANNA!!! Oh My.... remember me?? Its Amy(Hearn)Gotzinger. Your family is just way too adorable. KIT WOMAN!!

Maren said...

HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! glad you had a pretty good day besides have nasty pandas for dinner. he owes you BIG TIME!!! glad we got to come to your party! it sure was a party!