Thursday, February 14, 2013

Grandma Penrod

Jason's Grandma, Beulah Penrod, passed away on December 31, 2012. Just a few weeks before that, she was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and at the time, we were all sick so we didn't go see her. The week after, Jason drove to Taylor for a night to say goodbye to her, even though at that point, she was not conscious. When we got word that she finally let go and left this earth, I cried for happiness for her. I can only imagine the reunion with her husband that died 45 (I think?) years earlier, her 10 brothers and sisters that have passed away, her parents, her son and many others that she has said goodbye too. She was 95 years old and I know she's been ready to go for a while. Not long ago, we got to visit with her and take a few pictures of her. She was very alert and aware and was just ready to go. I think she needed to be around for others to heal the all-too-recent death of her son. As a young widow, she might have been the only one that really knew a lot of the feelings her daughter-in-law was experiencing. But alas, it was time. The funeral was enjoyable and she was buried in Vernon. The sun decided to shine on us for a bit and it really wasn't as cold as I had feared. You have to cover the grave yourself at the cemetery and I really enjoyed watching her sons and grandsons shovel dirt in their white shirts, ties and sometimes suits. Such a respectable lady deserved no less honor than that.

After the funeral, we had the luncheon. I was a bit overwhelmed at the thought of the people that organized lunch for hundreds of people. Being the recipient of Christlike service strengthens my testimony every time. One funny event at the luncheon: Hazel told us at the funeral she needed to go potty. Then she told us at the cemetery she needed to go. And then we got to the church and forgot to take her. Apparently she figured she'd asked enough and just went, on Jason, while he was holding her.
Beulah's kids: Randel, Rodney, Delbert (aka Kim), Venla and Floyd. One daughter chose not to go to the cemetery and one son beat her to Heaven.
I love this tree.
 
After the luncheon, I went and played in the snow with the girls. Jason sat in the car (every party has a pooper...). Hazel petered out after about 30 minutes, but I had to bribe Clara to be done after at least an hour and a half. It was a lot of fun and I love watching my kids explore and experience new things. Her favorite thing was definitely making snow angels. I bent down to help her out of one and noticed something dark in the snow. I thought maybe it was a stick or a rock and turned to walk away. I decided to check anyway and good thing I did because it was my phone. When I bent over to help Clara up, it must have slipped out of my pocket. Glad I found it! :)
 
Clara carried this chunk of snow around so she could nibble on it.
And Hazel didn't stop eating the snow either.
 
Clara took this picture of me and said, "I kind of cut your head off." Um, yeah.
We made giant letters in the snow and took turns guessing what letter it was.
Pretty sure she had a grand old time.
I love the changing scenery driving to the White Mountains. Especially in the winter. 

2 comments:

Jen said...

I love Heaven reunions:)

Aunt Bec said...

I love that...He beat her to heaven. Thank you for being able to recognize that we needed Grandma here just a little longer to help our hearts heal. The last few days I had with Grandma were both precious and hard. Knowing that her body was still here, but here spirit was not. What a fabulous lady who has and will continue to bless my life eternally.