Monday, January 28, 2013

Rachel & Kids Come for a Visit

Also on the 26th, Rachel and her kids arrived from Utah. I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but I love that since Hazel's birthday is the day after Christmas, Rachel and her family have been here every year to celebrate, including the year she was born. I can never really describe how much I love hanging out with my sisters. It doesn't matter how infrequently we talk or see each other, our roots go beyond our time here on this earth, and I can feel it when I spend time with them. Rachel was here for about a week and we ate out every chance we got. Sometimes the food was better than others, but always the company was great.

The after party. We are a book obsessed family, in case this picture doesn't make that obvious.
Casey Anne reading a book to most of the kids.
While Clara reads by herself. I love how social she is, but also that she is totally and completely fine hanging out by herself.
Lunch at Joe's BBQ.
Dinner at Gallo Blanco. The salmon was good, but the roasted vegetables were incredible. I think about them all the time.
Cousins flocking around Aunt Lilly.
I asked Annie if she could help me get Hazel to smile so she walked over to Hazel and tried her hardest to pull those cheeks out enough to get a smile on her face.
Lunch at Backyard Tacos (for the second time).
Lunch at Zupas on New Year's Eve Day. My dad saves all his change and then takes us all out to lunch when a bunch of us are together. Lunch for 20 people? That's a lot of change.
Playing in the cultural hall at a church.
Obviously only 1/4 of these children are trained to obey my voice. :)
Little twins.
For New Year's Eve we started the night at my parent's. Oh wait, first, Rachel made me dinner. She made us Superfood Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette. It was delicious. Okay, back to my mom's. Things got a little out of control with the push-up contest. 
 
We then took our party to Debbie's house.
They had fireworks.
And my all-time favorite: sparklers.
 
Clara still wasn't feeling super great, so about 10:30pm, we headed home. Oh yeah, it was also FREEZING and the fireworks made Hazel cry (so Aunt Angela saved her and took her inside). Jason was also sick and stayed at my mom's to watch sports and had already gone home. It was the first year I remember not caring if I was up until Midnight. I think the sicknesses over the holidays just wore me out. I am excited for a new year. I love the refreshing thoughts that come with the start of a new year.

Earlier that week, Clara and Lucas began planning a tea party. We decided New Year's Day would be the best day to have it, so that's what we did. It was absolutely darling to watch these kids plan and prepare for it. They took it super serious. They handmade invitations and handed them to all their cousins and even a few friends we ran into when we were out to lunch. Then, Rachel and I helped them make butterfly and flower sandwiches, apple slices with bear cores, bunny cucumbers and chick cheese. Please take a minute to look at Lucas' menu. First word: pampkakes. He wanted pancakes so bad. 
 
Dinner at Cantina Laredo
On Rachel's last day, we hiked up "our mountain". I think it's known as Spook Hill to everyone else, but it's close to our old house, so Clara has always called it our mountain. Rachel let Lucas wear his PJ's, so I let Clara. How's that for responsible parenting, just do what everyone else does? It wouldn't have been too bad except that Clara's pants were a good four inches too short. But no one cared. It was a beautiful, sunny day and we had a nice little hike.
 
It was a bit windy up the mountain (I always feel a little silly calling it a mountain because it's more like a hill or a knoll) and Hazel wanted to be held the entire time. I think I had some extra energy from who knows where because I hiked most of the way up with her (Rachel saved me at the end) and hiked down with her. Good thing she's light.
 
Lucas has mastered photo-bombing.
After the hike, Angela, Rachel, Margo and I went to Windsor for lunch. Sometimes you just need a burger, right? It was huge and delicious and the perfect way to spend our last day with Rachel (until next time).
I don't think I've ever not been able to get Margo to smile. She loves me so much. Unless I'm babysitting.
Rachel said: I'm going to remember how I feel right now.
 
And then, she left.

4 comments:

JLynn said...

I love Hazel, she has a special light. I'm going to state the obvious, I wish I had a family like yours.

Lisa said...

It sounds like you had an amazing time! I especially loved the tea party and reading the menu.

Does Lucas kind of look like Ryan??? When I saw those first two pictures of him my mind said, "Ryan... oh no... that's Lucas!"

Jen said...

Love all the food!
And love the push up contest- sounds like my families house :)

debsfreckles said...

That tea party is so cute! I also really love that last picture. Love all those girls!

Also I really want one of those hamburgers. How about I take you there for your birthday:)