Last weekend Jason's company invited their employees and their families to visit Musical Instrument Museum in Phoenix. I didn't have very high expectations, especially with kids, but I really enjoyed our visit. Actually, I loved it and I am pretty certain I will be back (but maybe without Jason). We got two tours. The first was with two reps from the architectural firm that did the project (an architect and a structural engineer). I was so intrigued learning why certain things were designed the way they were, what materials were used and why and having someone point out tricky and unusual design aspects. I am glad I switched my major from architecture to accounting, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate architecture. The second tour was from a docent at the museum and was less interesting, but much shorter. After that, we were free to roam.
The museum is laid out by country. For each exhibit, there are various authentic musical instruments on display and a TV showing natives playing the instruments. When you are within a certain distance of the TV, your headset tunes into that frequency so you can hear the instruments as you watch. Instead of one exhibit for the US, there are several exhibits based mostly on genre. After we did that, we went back downstairs to the interactive room. It's filled with instruments for kids (and adults) to play. We were at the museum for over 2 hours and it wasn't nearly long enough for Clara and I. Hazel had enough of the exhibits (it would be much less exciting without a headset) but could have stayed longer in the interactive room. Jason had enough of everything. I'm pretty sure if I go back, it won't be with him.
This was a super cool instrument. It plays from electricity you generate. So you don't touch anything, but it makes noise.

5 comments:
ohhh!!! I'm going to have to check that out!
hmmm...brings back all AWESOME those marching band memories:)
Ok, I know my boys would love that. I need to check it out over our fall break!
i want to go.
That looks like a pretty cool place. I've never been there before. I like learning how and why instruments work the way they soon. Fun trip.
Post a Comment