Monday, August 13, 2012

Schedules & Uniforms

With Clara starting school this year, there are definitely changes going on and things we are adjusting to. We have to wake up, get ready and be at school bright and early five days a week. As such, we go to bed as early as possible every night. Until now, our average wake up time has been 8:00am. As of now, however, this is our morning schedule:

6:45am wake up Clara & feed her breakfast (so either I get up before her and make it or prepare something quick {i.e. green smoothies})
7:00am Clara brushes her teeth, gets dressed and combs her hair
7:10am I do Clara's hair
7:15am I take a few pictures (the first day wasn't quite enough)
7:17am Out the door

When I quit working full time after I had Clara, not having to wake up early, be somewhere early in the morning and not having restrictions on when and for how long I can go out of town were definitely the highlights of quitting. (Second to Clara, of course). I felt like with Clara starting school, I was saying bye to my freedom and going back to those dreadful restrictions. However, after four days down, I am kind of enjoying being forced to wake up early. I make breakfast, eat, feed my family, take Clara to school and clean up after breakfast all before 8:15am. On the days I work, I get to my client's at least an hour earlier than before. I haven't quite adjusted so I feel super tired at nights, but I think that will get better with time. It's amazing what I can get done when I wake up early.

On Friday, I told Clara she could stay up late since she told me the worst part of starting school was that she couldn't watch the Olympics any more. After putting Hazel to bed, Jason passed out on the couch (at about 8:30pm...) so Clara and I hung out and watched the Olympics together. I have a feeling this marks the beginning of late night Fridays since we go to bed so early during the week.

Clara's school requires uniforms. I tossed the idea back and forth not knowing for sure how I felt about that. For one, it's not cheaper. It's harder to find a good deal on uniforms and you still have to have clothes for them to change into when they get home and on the days they aren't in school. I was also worried about stifling her creativity because with me as her mother, she needs all the help she can get when it comes to fashion. But in the end I realized I will never have a morning where she fights me on what to wear. We will never spend time changing or trying to decide on what outfit to wear. {I'm pretty sure a certain younger sister of mine would have really benefited from a uniform system in grade school... :)} The choice is easy: skirt, shorts or pants with a red or white shirt. And a major bonus is that she looks absolutely darling and sophisticated. Which is why taking pictures on the first day just wasn't enough...

Day 2
Day 3
When she tried her pants on, she said she looked like a boy. Then she said, "Actually, I look like a worker. A girl worker." The shorts are only slightly better. But the skirt? She couldn't stop smiling or shaking her hips in front of the mirror when we tried it on.

5 comments:

DeWitts said...

She looks so adorable in her uniform. Love the pic with her and Hazel. It reminded me of Cooper with Brewer. How is Hazel doing with her big sister at school? Brewer cries every morning but then I think he likes the one on one time he has with me.

Kathryn Melzer said...

I wish all schools did uniforms. I loved teaching at a uniform school. Cute, cute and that picture of Hazel - 100% you.

The Milliron Family said...

I have always been in support of school uniforms - and Clara looks adorable in hers : ) Ya, school schedules are always a little more hectic but you get used to them. Douglas and Josh are in bed by 8:00 and we're all up by 6:50. Then everyone is dressed, showered and fed by 7:45 and out the door by 8:00. But I am happy to do it because when I put Josh in his room for quiet time, my house is actually QUIET for an hour or so. It's amazing : )

Brandon and Camille Smithson said...

cute cute! I'm for uniforms (funny how my opinion changes now that I'm an adult.)

I like the late night Friday tradition. :)

Rachel+Co said...

unsurprisingly, i hate the idea of school uniforms and it kind of freaks me out, actually. i fought a war for my free agency ;-). anyway, clara looks absolutely adorable in her uniform stuff! i hope she is enjoying school and adjusting to the early schedule. we start next week and i am excited about everything except fitting in family scriptures and packing 4 lunches before casey leaves at 7:15.