After my little accident a few weeks ago, I felt so, so strongly that we are watched over and protected for a specific purpose here on earth. I just felt a little overwhelmed wondering how I'd be able to figure it out. The thought that I had a job to do, important enough to be kept here, would not leave my mind. I felt a little anxious thinking of having to figure out exactly what that might be. How would I know what it was? Instead of going into my client after the accident, I drove home to be with Jason, Clara and Hazel. The whole family went to Clara's last swimming lesson and then I holed myself up in my room to work remotely while Jason played mom. I got a lot done, but I also had a lot of welcome interruptions from my two little sweeties. Each interruption brought a simple message. They are precious. They need you. This is your job. This is important.
That night, as we got ready for bed, Hazel joined us for family prayer and scriptures. I'm trying to get her in on it more often so she can practice holding still and folding her arms (instead of putting her to bed before so we can do it in peace). Tonight, I was super glad she was there. Not because she started screaming during the prayer when I wouldn't let her down. But because during scriptures, she was so excited to sit on Clara's bed all by herself. The look of joy and satisfaction was priceless. And then she went around our family circle and pushed each of our noses, one by one, saying, "Beep!" with each push. She was "hitting" Clara's back and I told her to be soft so she started rubbing Clara's back and head. Then she touched Clara's eyes and said, "Ice!" and her hair and said, "Haairrrr" and grabbed her belly and said, "BELLY!!!" in a really gruff voice.
In that moment, my feelings and thoughts from throughout the day were cemented into this: the important job I was preserved to do will most likely be nothing more than what I am already doing. I may never do anything beyond my role as a mother and I am okay with that because there is nothing more important than just that. If I have accomplished only one thing when my life is said and done and that one thing is being a good mother, my life will have been a success.
Wednesday, June 27, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
this is a great post and such an important thing for us mom's to remember. Thank you for the reminder... and can I add that you are a great mom! I seriously look to you as an example.
Your girls are adorable and they are so lucky to have you. You are a great Mom. I really loved reading this post.
This is beautiful. I hope I'm as good as a mother as you are.
You are a really great writer Anna. And of course that is why you were preserved - those girls need their momma! Most important job ever!
Post a Comment