Some of you have suggested I list things I love about myself with my 14 days of love. On day 10, I decided maybe I could put a few things about myself that I love. The thought, however, brought me to instant tears. Not just watery eyes, tears streaming down my cheeks. Tears because I have never thought about why I love myself. Tears because I don't think I could list one thing, let alone 14 things, that I love about myself. I am content with me. But i do not love me like I love others. I am not just content with my family and the things I've been sharing about them. Their qualities are things I love. It seems the contentment, rather than the love, that I feel towards myself is indication that I consider myself mediocre. It made me sad to think that I don't love myself the way I love others. If nothing else, I am special because I am a daughter of God. I believe that and I believe that our divine nature alone makes each and every one of us special AND lovable. After pondering some of these thoughts for a few days, I feel very strongly that Heavenly Father wants us to love all of His children unconditionally, including ourselves. If we can't do that, what does that say, we aren't children of God? We are not special? I am going to learn to love myself. For starters, I love myself because of who I am, a daughter of God.
I also want to be comfortable loving myself. For some reason, that sounds so narcissistic. It sounds arrogant and proud. As humans we don't want to say, "Hey! I am good at {insert talent here} and I love myself for it! Aren't I awesome?" I think some reservations in loving ourselves is good. Because if we loved everything about ourselves, we wouldn't have much motivation to progress and we all have areas needing progress. However, I think in general, especially as women, we don't take the time to identify why we love ourselves and be comfortable in that. For me personally, I am so insecurely confident. I don't embarrass easy, I don't mind sharing stories of dumb things I've done and I'm definitely not one to delete hideous pictures of myself, especially if I know it's sure to make a few of you laugh (like the one below!) Yet, I always struggle feeling like I'm never good enough and never cool enough. I am very comfortable being different than the "in" crowd and just being me, yet I am constantly feeling like nobody likes me.
Not for you, but for myself, I'm going to try to list 5 things I love about myself.
#1: That I can post a picture like this online and care less who and how many people see it. It doesn't make me feel self conscious one bit or embarrassed at all. I guess I just have lots of neck skin because the second I move my chin down more than 1/4" and/or laugh in a picture, I have an insta-double chin.

10 comments:
I'm glad you're doing this because it makes me sad that you felt bad when you realized you didn't love yourself like you should. I think you should love yourself because I think you're a fantastic person. I really do. There is a ton I admire about you.
Plus, you're right. Heavenly Father wants us to love and be happy with ourselves. Think of how sad it would make you to hear Clara say she didn't love herself. That's how Heavenly Father feels. You're fantastic, and He's not the only one who knows that.
Well, I think your fantastic and beautiful, and part of the 'in' crowd, if there is one as adults..? haha, and in ALL honesty- I have always wanted to be like you. Your adorable, and very funny and witty, I was sad when you moved away from SF. I am terrible at long distance friendships, so I knew we wouldn't get to hang out really ever again. But everytime I have seen you I think, Anna is seriously so awesome!
So I hope you can realize how amazing you are, I think we all kinda struggle with that.. I know I do. Thanks for this, it is always a good remider for us to really step back and realize who we are and why we should love ourselves :)
I love you!
I had a breakdown just moments ago, and most of it had to do with not liking myself.
This is a good challenge to focus on yourself and anything and everything positive.
& I LOVE that you posted that picture!!! you are awesome!
you see, that's another reason i love you. you're humble. and how are we so opposite? i'm dying over here about the photo of you & me i just put on my blog... and how i am almost unrecognizably chubby compared to the way i looked 9 months ago.
i have so much to learn from you.
You wrote about something I have been thinking about lately. Today actually. It started because my husband and my sister threw a surprise birthday partygor me this month and it made me so embarrassed and uncomfortable. I have been trying to figure out why because I am not shy and I have always thought I was pretty confident. Turns out I like myself, but didn't think anyone should like me enough to come to a party for me. So I understand how you feel. I just met you and right now I could list 5 things: funny, so so smart, laid back, real, hard working. How is that for a comment.
I so identify with everything you wrote in this post! "Yet, I always struggle feeling like I'm never good enough and never cool enough. I am very comfortable being different than the "in" crowd and just being me, yet I am constantly feeling like nobody likes me." Oh my gosh I feel like that all the time! And it was really painfully apparent when we moved and I'm having to meet all of these people & I keep feeling like I'm making a fool out of myself in my earnest attempts at making new friends. Ahhh it's such a not great feeling.
People love you Anna. I know you didn't write this post so we would all tell you that but it is true. And good for you for posting 5 things. I think that is awesome.
I DIE when people put ugly pictures of me online. There was one from a Christmas party last year (2010) when I was 8 months pregnant that I look SO FAT in and I'm still dying over it. I can't imagine having the confidence to post unflattering pictures of myself! I wish I was more like you! Really, I have a problem!
If you ask my sister what her talents are she says that her biggest talent is being able to recognize her talents and not be shy about them. Second she will give you a list of at least 10 talents. Not in a braggy way, in a matter-of-fact way. It's impressive.
i know just how you feel but i want you to know i have always thought of you as a wonderful person.
Golly, your first paragraph sums up how I always have felt about me. You have made me ponder this. I will have to think about it longer and perhaps write down what I love about myself.
In the meanwhile, I love that picture. You have a great sense of humor and I love that you are okay with laughing at yourself. That is an important charactorist!
oh Anna Anna Anna..dont get down on yourself just b/c i haven't commented for days....
but just so YOU know how awesome i'm gonna tell you 14reasons why you should LOVE yourself:
1-you are one of those crazy people who look beautiful without any make-up
2-your smile lights up your whole face
3-i've always loved your handwriting
4-you're mind amazes me
5-you are a great mommy
6- you are a fabulous friend
7-you are an incredible cook
8-you are extremely thrifty & somehow i feel like b/c you are SO much, you always find the BEST deals
9-you are a hard worker
10-you are very dedicated to the gospel
11-you have a very strong testimony(i'll always remember you wouldn't do homewk on sunday in high school=FAITH)
12-you make gorgeous little babies
13-you make me laugh
14-and BEST of ALL-...drumroll please!!....you LAUGH at all my stupid jokes and make me feel very funny!!
...and here's one more15.- you are very confident
now can we hang out again please!?!?
Post a Comment