Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Love Is A Riddle

Marriage isn't always bliss. But I'm a firm believer that it certainly can and should be happy, enjoyable and fulfilling at least most of the time. If it's not, something needs fixing. Sometimes I find myself wishing Jason did "this" or was like "that". Don't worry, I always come to my senses and smile contently. Forget that he doesn't do "that" and will never do "this", I can't imagine a companion more suitable for my personality than him. I'm amazed at how well he compliments me. My biggest weaknesses are his biggest strengths. Not only does that help balance me out, but I learn so much from him. We are synergy at its finest.

Some of the things that make him extra special to me: helps with the kids without complaining, is capable and willing to step in when I am gone, can handle bed time, bath time, meal time, etc., without me, good athlete, isn't too manly to sweep, do dishes, do laundry, etc., loves our mini van, laughs hysterically at the same parts of movies over and over and over, encourages me to spend money, let's me boss him around when I'm frantically trying to tackle one of my crazy ideas, never gets mad at me for making mistakes, rubs my feet, laughs with me, let's me walk all over him but isn't afraid to put his foot down, has never made me feel bad when the house is a disaster and/or dinner isn't ready when he gets home from work, forgives and forgets my outbursts, does things I want him to do even if he doesn't enjoy them and keeps my high strung personality in check.

On Christmas he sat with the girls by himself for all of church while I sang in the choir. I sat and watched him handle things flawlessly and thought, That makes me want him. In that moment I realized I couldn't ask for anything more. I don't have a perfect husband, but I am grateful that he has the qualities that are of highest importance to me. I'm grateful that he wants me to be home with our children and be the nurturer and the homemaker, but that he's able to step into either of my roles when necessary. I'm grateful that he's willing to be outside his comfort zone for me. I'm grateful that he's patient and stubborn and easy going and opinionated all at once. In the last 8 years there's been some struggling, dealing with life's misfortunes and times where it seemed easier to give up. This year, however, was different. I felt like we grew closer than ever and figured out how to actually resolve things, not just get over them. Over the last year, our foundation wasn't just maintained, but it was fortified and built upon. It feels good and I'm pretty sure life together is only going to get better.
Happy 8 years to us!

8 comments:

Amy from Our Dish said...

Very well said!

Jen said...

Such a beautiful post :)
Happy Anniversary!

XOXO

Brandon and Camille Smithson said...

Happy Anniversary! Great post. I was reading your list of his qualities that compliment yours and making a mental list of my husbands. I appreciate the reminder of how lucky I am too. :)

8 years down... eternity to go. :)

Beka said...

you guys are great together:)

happy anniversary!!!!

angela hardison said...

you guys are a good match; i think you balance each other out so well.

also you look super cute in that photo.

Lisa said...

Happy Anniversary to you both!

JLynn said...

What a pair. I know you and Jason have been together for at least 10 years. You know I am good with dates:). You guys have always been so great for each other since the very start. Congrats on your togetherness.

Kami Milliron said...

Awww, what a cute post Anna : ) You and I have the same type of marriages. Tyler is the perfect opposite of me in some ways. I keep my head in the clouds and he is firm on the ground. So we balance each other out.

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY !