I usually set lots and lots of specific goals every new year and don't achieve most of them. I know it's important to be specific in goal setting, but apparently that doesn't always work for me. Because I'm a perfectionist, if I mess up once, it's hard for me not to give up completely. With that said, I did make one very specific goal in 2011 and that was not to buy clothes for myself unless it was for our family picture. Amazingly, I was able to do this and bought only one top that I wore in our family picture in the beginning of the year.
Aside from that, I decided I wanted my resolutions for 2011 to be things that change habits in my life. Not just things that I do or don't do for a year and then revert back to whatever I was or wasn't doing before the goal. Last year, I decided to procrastinate less. I swear much of my stress could be avoided by this. Did I procrastinate? Of course I did, but it was much, much less. As a result, I felt like my year went smoother and I accomplished more.
Another one of my goals was to relax and enjoy life more. This was really my biggest goal and I am really happy with the changes that resulted. I am a naturally uptight person. Really uptight. Obnoxiously uptight. My decisions have always been 110% based on practicality. I'm not saying being practical is bad, but when it sucks the fun out of life, I think it is. We are meant to enjoy life, not just endure it. For me this meant doing things for fun even if a.) they weren't planned or b.) it was extra money I didn't want to spend. Basically, I tried to be a little more spontaneous and less calculated. Instead of letting money make all my decisions, I decided to live a little. Don't worry, I didn't go crazy. But I did loosen up a little because I realized I'd rather have a few extra memories than a few extra dollars in the bank.
2011 highlights:
dealt with the termite infestation
painted our family room
had our first orange harvest
planted two gardens
went to utah by myself with the girls
"raised" kefir grains
preschool graduation

had our first orange harvest
planted two gardens
went to utah by myself with the girls
"raised" kefir grainsClara played soccer (I use the word "played" loosely...)
Melzer family reunion
staycation
Clara started Discovery Club
California
Hazel learned to pull herself up
purchased our van - first vehicle purchase in our marriage (my first in 10+ years!)
Sold my Civic (that I purchased new 10 1/2 years ago)
Penrod reunion
Jason turned 33
hot air balloon festival (I'll be honest - this wouldn't have made the list if I didn't like this picture so much)
I turned 30
found new renters
Utah again (Emma's baptism)
Clara turned 5
hosted Thanksgiving (and simultaneously decided I LOVE my house)
learned (all by myself) how to curl my hair just the way I like it
Jason passed the PE
Hazel turned 1

Hazel learned to pull herself up
Sold my Civic (that I purchased new 10 1/2 years ago)
found new renters
hosted Thanksgiving (and simultaneously decided I LOVE my house)

5 comments:
yay for a fun exciting year!
I liked your recap! If I was ambitious I would copy you :)
No new clothes in 12 months?! I am beyond impressed right now!! Nice!!
You have had one eventful year. I like the year in review... very nice. :) I'm of course to lazy to copy that idea, but if I had more energy, it would be high on my list.
So, Brandon just asked me if I new what vehicle you guys bought. He is looking (on the side) at family vehicles and is now okay with the idea of a van.
I really like the color you painted your living room. I usually don't like grey walls. Your house gets so much natural light the shade of gray in your living room looks really calming and peaceful. Beautiful choice!
Looks like 2011 was a blast! So happy I got to see you a few times this year. Yay! Thanks so much for visiting when you were up here. I love Anna visits!
Post a Comment