On Sunday (8.21) I got a phone call from Ryan telling me about the fire sale on HP touch pads and that Amazon.com had some in stock. In a few minutes, I decided to buy one for Jason. It was such a great deal and I knew Jason would be so happy. So there I went, being spontaneous again.
On Monday (8.22) I got a phone call from my mom telling me she saw a car for us. I've been casually looking at cars for a long time (all year). I would go back and forth. I'm so practical it makes me sick sometimes. We don't need a bigger car. My car still runs great. But lately I've felt like even though we can't pay cash for a car right now, we need to be able to fit in one car when we go camping and sell my car before any major repair comes up. Not to mention how nice it will be to be able to give Clara's friends rides without having to take Hazel's base out, switch out Clara's 5-point harness seat for her booster and then spend 5 minutes buckling the girls in. The biggest hang up was finding a good car. I was 99.9% sure I wouldn't buy anything other than a Honda or Toyota. But the cars with lower mileage were out of my price range. So when my mom told me about a 2006 Toyota Sienna with 56,000 miles sitting on the side of the road, I decided we needed to look at it right away.
On Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, I worked 5-6 hours at my client. Holly watched the girls the first three days, Angela the last. The HR lady was gone consistently at the time I needed to pump, so I was able to use her office. Hazel wouldn't take a bottle. Not at all. But she wasn't fussy. I survived. My kids survived. The nannies survived. (I like calling them nannies... makes me sound important).
On Tuesday we decided to buy the car after taking it for a quick test drivce. I hate loans. I haven't had a car payment for 8+ years. I didn't ever want one again. But I decided it's best to take advantage of a good deal now than make do with my car and hope nothing happens to it while we save for the next 3 years. Also, I'm a little embarrassed to admit this, but I'm a lot more likely to be frugal to pay down debt than I am to save extra money.
On Wednesday I got an e-mail saying our touchpad order had been cancelled. Bummer. Super bummer.
On Thursday we closed on the loan for our car. It makes me laugh that I've bought more houses than I have cars. In fact, until Thursday, it was 3:1. It's way easier buying a car. Obviously. Though I was surprised at how easy it was. They asked me a few questions and I didn't have to give them a single document. I didn't have to prove anything. They didn't even ask to see a pay stub, but were still happy to give me some money to buy our pretty new {to us} car.

On Friday, I was glad the week was over. Way too much working and way too much adventure for me in a week. I like working. But I definitely like working from home and being a mom even better.
Since I can't neglect my weekly wrap up after only one week, here are some other pictures and thoughts from the week.
The benefits of working "short days" were many and made the week much more manageable. At least half of the time I was gone, Hazel was napping and Clara was at school the first few hours. When I got home on Monday, we had some fun in the irrigation outside. Both of my girls love being outside and love water. I like to call it our redneck pool. I love that it's free and there aren't the same safety hazards as a pool. Not that we wouldn't like a pool someday, but this is a pretty great substitute for now, especially with little kids. (And behold! Hazel can sit up on her own much longer.)

While outside, Clara caught a little baby cricket. She was so excited and said, "Look! This is like my very first pet! It's my first real pet!" See how the tip of her finger looks blurry? Well, it's really her pet cricket.

I also arranged my schedule so I'd be able to take my little spazoid to school. This was easier for the nannies (there I go again!) and helped me feel less neglectful.

Jason won the Cannon Ball contest at our Ward swim party
I went to another funeral. It just breaks my heart to watch the trials some of my friends face. They are so brave and so strong.
I cleaned behind my nightstand. I'm not a slob, I promise. I just set things on my nightstand and then they "fall" behind it. "Fall" as in, they get pushed off, either by my computer or my little assistant.
And Clara found the very first chicken eggs from my mom's chickens. She was ecstatic. Her excitement still makes me smile.
Today has been a happy one. A really happy one. A perfect way to end one good week and start another.

11 comments:
That picture of Hazel is the first one that I see the resemblence of Clara and Hazel. - Rob
Oh hooray for a bigger car!! I look forward to that day whenever it decides to come ha ha.
I LOVE that first picture of Hazel. She looks like she's been sitting up for months! Her expression is so cute :)
I'm glad you survived working outside the house. That sounds entirely too stressful for me. I got anxiety just thinking about it :).
Congratulations on your new car, you are going to love it!
so glad the job went well and the kids behaved for your "nannies" ;) (It makes u sound rich when you use that word:)
LOVE the new van!!! Yay!!!
wow, you are spontaneious! :) Love the new ride. I need to "upgrade" but I keep putting it off. It will be necessary really soon though.
It sounds like things worked out ! And hooray for your CUTE new minivan : ) Welcome to the club !
Sweet new wheels!
It was so fun to be your kids nanny! haha I've never been called that before so I feel special! Clara and Hazel are so much fun. They were really good for me and we had a good time. It was nice to be able to get out of the house for a few days too. Let me know if you ever need me to watch them again. I would be glad to.
WOW! we don't hang out for a week and you go all crazy buying stuff!! New car...sweet! can't wait to see it, of course you found a great deal...thats what you do!! seriously we need to hang out again
Yay for the new car! It looks exactly like our toyota sienna. :) Same color and tint on the windows too. We should drive around together someday just so we can be cool minivan twins. ;) j/k Well I LOOOVE my minivan. It is the most convenient family car ever!! Cup holders galore, air vents and lights all the way to the back, doors my kids can open and not bang into any other cars.... oh I love my toyota. Sure you'll love yours too. :)
I am rather envious of your big yard. And that adorable baby sitting in it as well ;)
Congrats on the new pet. I don't think crickets have a long life cycle, so it shouldn't have much upkeep. That's my kind of pet. (oh yeah, and the new car)
Post a Comment