Last night I was imagining the worst case scenario (thousands of dollars in repair costs) and mourning over all our hard earned money we'd have to spend when I remembered our magical little home warranty we bought when we bought the house to save us if something like this happened. Hooray! I still have to have one of the insurance's technicians come look at it (the soonest they can come is tomorrow afternoon, which is annoying), pay another service call fee and hope that they will actually replace it without having to haggle. Per my A/C guy, based on where the leak is it can't be repaired, it has to be replaced, but we all know how warranty companies roll. Luckily, it's only 84* right now, so hopefully it won't get much hotter than that before they get it fixed (even if it doesn't, we might head somewhere with a working A/C). So yes, tt's a bit of an annoyance to deal with the warranty company and have to wait, but I'd definitely rather deal with this than the financial nuisance had we not bought the warranty!
Monday, June 13, 2011
Nice & Toasty
In my post yesterday, I started talking about how I think our A/C is broken. But then I thought maybe I was exaggerating or overreacting so I deleted it. The A/C in our room was turning on around 1pm and wouldn't go off until about 9pm. It would go off and on all night too. We do live in Arizona and in the summer, it's going to take longer for things to cool off, right? Then I noticed the air coming out wasn't really cold. I justified that with the fact that our bedroom has always been hot. Between our room and our bathroom, there are lots of windows that let lots of afternoon heat in. But the more I thought about it last night, the more I realized there was a problem. I called someone to come look at it today and the verdict is in. We have a leak in the air handler unit. If they can replace the coil, it'll be about $1500. If they have to replace the air handler unit, it'll be about $2500.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I'm not surprised that you guys had the warranty because you are the most logical person I know. But seriously, when we prepare to buy a house I want to do the same thing or have money saved for the EXACT cost of a new A/C unit because I'm not kidding... It seems as soon as someone buys a house the A/C breaks within the first 6 months!
Can you imagine how the pioneers lived out here before A/C was invented? (sorry I have a habit of thinking "what if I was a pioneer during hard times? I can't help it).
awesome......sorry- that stinks:(--but at least you dont have to replace the entire unit on a dumb rapidly depreciating condo.....oh and at least you didnt pay the MOST for a condo in a rapidly depreciating area:)
hmmm i wonder if there's a warranty somewhere for my dishwasher and microwave... both of which are still not working.
i would DIE without A/C.
glad you have that warranty! If you need somewhere to head, you are more than welcome at my house. I mean it! Or, we can meet you at the Museum for Youth or something like that.
Post a Comment