Sunday, June 19, 2011

For the Daddies

I heard a story at church about a kid that said when they played house, the mom doll did everything but they didn't know what the daddy doll did because he was always gone at work so the kid just threw him under the bed. It was funny and makes sense since yes, most dad's spend most of their time at work. Even still, so many of us are blessed with wonderful fathers that influence us and our kids and those around us despite their frequent absence from the home.

My dad taught me the importance of a good education, how to love unconditionally, that roads are most slippery just after it starts to rain (I can still hear him in my mind whenever I'm driving in the rain saying, "Be careful, there's lots of oil on the road when it first starts raining."), how to bargain, I could accomplish what I desired and not to settle.

Things I love about my dad:
- He is the Trivial Pursuit Master. Seriously.
- He has the biggest tender spot for kids, especially his grand kids.
- He is a hard worker.
- He always has a good joke to share.
Things I love about this man that raised my children's father:
- He sings (and sings me Happy Birthday every year)
- He likes to hold babies
- He taught Jason the importance of good work ethic
- He is genuine
And of course, Jason:
- He loves to play with the kids
- He works hard to provide for our family
- He makes Clara and Hazel laugh
- He makes Clara and Hazel feel important
- He doesn't whine if I am gone and he has to cover my responsibilities
Clara made a card for Jason and drew a darling family picture. From left to right: Mom, Dad and Clara; Bottom center: Hazel (maybe the two ghost smiley faces on either side of Hazel are our future kids?)
She also had this to say about her Dad (I love these things, they make me laugh every time):
My dad is strong.
He is 50 years old, very tall and weighs 5 pounds.
His favorite food is watermelon.
My dad is really good at fixing cars*.
His favorite ice cream flavor is all of them.
I'm just like my dad because I clean my room**.
My dad's favorite song is on the radio.
My dad loves to play walkie-talkies.
My favorite thing to do with my dad is go on daddy daughter dates.
My dad's favorite movie is Batman.
It makes Dad happy when I clean my room.

*This one was particularly funny since the last time Jason tried to fix a car, he never got it to start again.
**Yes, Jason and Clara definitely clean their room the same way. Here's a little visual evidence...
Jason's Desk

Clara's Desk
Happy Father's Day!

4 comments:

Rachel+Co said...

I love this post! I have so much love and gratitude for all the dads in the world! We couldn't do our jobs without them.

Liz said...

Jason's desk is giving me major anxiety.

Jen said...

love all the answers Clara gave. I need to do that :)

DeWitts said...

Love this post. Dad's are the best!