Monday, May 9, 2011

"Busy" Life

I have been thinking about being busy. Too often I feel like I always tell people I'm busy, but really, I don't have so much going on that I can't function. Sometimes I trick myself into thinking I'm busy all the time. I wake up in the morning and think of everything I need to do in the upcoming week/few weeks and I feel totally overwhelmed, which makes me feel super busy. Some days, some weeks and some months are definitely non-stop. But it's not every day, every week or every month that life is crazy. Since Hazel was born, I've been trying to be better about taking life a day at a time -having a daily to do list and not just a weekly one so I know what has to get done each day instead of feeling like I have to tackle a week's worth of tasks in a day or two. On days I don't have to leave the house for anything, I try to stay home and hang out and let myself be not busy. I guess I'd rather put off my work (like I did today) and enjoy some down time with my sweeties and stay up late and be busy tomorrow than being kind of busy two days in a row. Today was one of those days - the one where I'm a little bit lazy, knowing the next day will be a little crazy. I did a little laundry, cleaned/de-junked my room (well, started anyway), typed up lots of funny things I have written down about Clara over the last few years, ate simple meals and finally finished unpacking from Utah (I was mostly done... the suitcase had some Winter clothes we won't be needing around here for several months so it was easy to ignore). A simple day left me hours to look through old pictures, kiss/hold/hug/squeeze/sing to/tickle herand try to be patient with non-stop chatter from this butterfly (that's a cocoon in case you didn't notice).

5 comments:

Jen said...

I sometimes tally have that same problem. Even if I have a not not busy day I stress over the upcoming one.
Seriously, why don't we just relax?

Allison Johnson said...

Sometimes when you write, I feel like you are writing about my life. Thank you for putting these ideas that work for you out there. Not only do I get to evaluate my own situations, but I feel armed with ideas to improve my life/attitude when I read your blog. You're awesome, and that is pretty much all there is to it!

Jamie Wilkinson said...

Sometimes I feel like I make my life busy for no reason. Other than Lily's weekly dance class and our thirty minute preschool in the morning, we have no set schedule. Really, I can do whatever I like, but I always seem to have too much to do and not enough time to do it. How does that happen? I just don't understand.

Brandon and Camille Smithson said...

oh boy... I think this is a common problem with all women. I have become better at reducing my stress lately, but it's still there. I'm glad you were able to enjoy your Monday. Your girls are too beautiful.

Beka said...

good to note- now i know your just lying to me when you say you are too busy to hang out:)