Monday, February 7, 2011

Weekend Events & Thoughts

What a weekend. I'm glad it's over. For the most part, I'm glad it happened.

Clara is still hilarious. The other day she was talking to Jason and said, "First of all... second of all... second of all... second of all..." as she pointed to her different fingers and rattled off several totally unrelated points. It becomes a problem when she talks back to us and we start laughing. Like when I told her to do something, she didn't do it and Jason asked, "Did you hear what Mom said?" She quickly responded, "Did you hear what I said?"I'm pretty sure Hazel's projectile spit up happens when I eat chocolate. Although I have difficulty with diet restrictions, I'd much rather chocolate be the culprit than dairy, which was my second theory. It's way easier for me not to each chocolate.
After almost every big get together I host, once everyone leaves, I realize I didn't get to spend time visiting with anyone as much as I would have liked. I think next time I'll try a smaller get together.

Why do people keep helping me? I feel like all I do lately is take, take, take, as everyone around me so graciously gives.

Working from home with a newborn has really stressed me out, mostly when I have conference calls. Clara is really good about playing, reading, coloring, etc. while I am on the phone. Hazel hasn't quite got to that point. Ha ha. Not to mention we've adopted a rather flexible schedule so it's not until I wake up that I know the approximate times I'll be feeding her throughout the day. I suppose I could adhere to a more rigid schedule, but that would mean rigidness every day and I am pretty sure that would stress me out even more.
Hazel was blessed Sunday.
I love hosting get togethers. I really do. That's one reason I wanted a bigger house; so I didn't have to host get togethers for special occasions elsewhere. But, I have noticed when I'm playing host, I rarely pick up my camera and no one seems to have my enthusiasm about taking pictures at family get togethers.
The dresser doesn't stink. Yay! I tried dryer sheets first, since I had those. They did a good job, but it seemed to kind of mask the smell instead of absorb it. The next technique was charcoal. I put bowls of briquettes in each drawer and wallah! The smell is gone!

We finished painting our family room. Okay, I didn't actually paint. I had too many other things to get ready for the blessing. Jason and a few very kind, considerate and selfless people did it. We have good friends. It's the first time I've picked a color all by myself. I'm happy to say that I absolutely LOVE the result. The room looks cleaner, bigger and newer. That green made the wall entertainment center look like something attached to the wall. Now, it blends right into the wall, which is perfect since I'm not a fan of it. The green just complicated the pain it caused. It's much more peaceful now. Ooooh, I love it. I just sit on my couch and look at it. I love how the arched windows look. I don't want to hang my curtains back up, so that's a problem. I am so happy that something relatively inexpensive (although I definitely won't say simple...) totally transformed this room. It was my least favorite room and now I love it. Yippeee!
I went to Bob's funeral Saturday. I really didn't have time, but it was important for me to go. I especially liked the military service they did after the Mass. It was short, but incredibly reverent.

We finally had our termite treatment. 3 men, 8 hours $2,600. Lots of drills, lots of holes and lots of chemicals. Is there a better way to spend a Friday?

Dear Termites,
I hate you. It cost me more to get rid of you than it did to bring my child into this world. And you were destroying my house and Hazel brings joy to our home. Good riddens.
Am I the only one that has to put "baths" on a to do list? For some reason, that one is so easy for me to forget.

We turned on our gas fireplace for the first time. It was warm. And cozy. Way better than a heater.
It froze Thursday night. I didn't get a picture, but it's the second time our pond has frozen. It's kind of a sight for us. Clara liked slipping on the little patch of ice on the sidewalk. Before you laugh at us for getting excited about a patch of ice, remember what city we live in.

6 comments:

Jamie Wilkinson said...

I have the same problem laughing when I should be reprimanding Lily. It's just so hard to keep a straight face sometimes.

I've told you this before, I think, but I love that shelf-thing in your great room. I've been seriously considering copying it in ours, and now that you've posted a full pictures, I can!

My theory on rigid schedules is that if you are stressed and strung-out, your kids will be too. If you are relaxed and laid-back, they will be as well. No idea if it's true, but it sure sounds good, yes?

You are, and will remain, wonder woman. (and I often have to remind myself to bathe...sometimes I don't get around to it until evening)

I AM JOE PESCI said...

I love the entertainment center. It looks awesome!

Amy said...

The new paint job looks great!

Jen said...

1st of all, you are glowing! Seriously you are beautiful my dear:)

Love the fresh paint, love the pic of Claire, i even love the pic of the termite holes, but don't love the termites :(

Totally busy weekend, but wow was it productive.

Beka said...

haha! so many funny pictures!! i love the gray- super awesome:)-- c u tomorrow still i hope?!

angela hardison said...

do i look like that? sad. lazy eye? sad.

i know i already told you this but your paint color is perfect.

also, sorry i haven't been one of the people who has helped you lately.