Saturday, January 15, 2011

A Simple Request

This morning I was tempted to keep my prayer to a one-liner:

Please help me to have patience.

Amen.
Clara has been sick since Monday night, with coughing and a fever. She's been coughing a lot the last three days. It seems like she has not been able to go more than 5 minutes without coughing. Am I the only mean mom that gets totally irritated from hearing coughing non-stop? Even if it's my own little darling? It just grates and grates and grates on my nerves. Add in lack of sleep, an extra whiny Clara, a crying baby and being stuck in the house all week, and you have a pretty crazy Anna. Did I mention Clara has watched more movies in the last three days than in the entire month before that? What would I do with twins? (No offense all my friends and family that have twins {there's a lot of you!}. I'm just saying, I don't have the patience you do and whenever I have weeks like this, I wonder what I'd do if it was times two).

I think I might go shopping today. You know, to get out of the house, and do something exciting, like buy tax forms.

PS At least Clara still keeps us laughing despite being sick... Like this morning when Clara saw a bag of Hostess glazed donuts and Clara asked Jason why he ate all the sugar off the donuts.

9 comments:

Kami Milliron said...

Oh Anna, do I ever know how you feel ! I pray for calmness, understanding and strength. And that's all for Douglas. I love him but by about 10:00 a.m I am already irritated. But here is a trick I learned the hard way - DON'T PRAY FOR PATIENCE ! The Lord will give you opportunities to be patient ! Pray for things like understanding and strength.

Maybe you should come to the play date on Monday. Or I can come by and pick Clara up and take her. It would give you some quiet time. Just let me know : )

Melanie said...

Today my whole morning prayer was: please help me be patient. Not kidding. But it's because I got sucked into my book last night when everyone was asleep. My fault, and Jeff is skiing with Mir, so I can't just sign off & take a nap. H&K & I even went to the grocery store to get out, just like your sentiments. We match. =)

Kathryn said...

No, Ryan gets irritated at coughing. That's why he has slept in the other room for the last week. He can't stand my cough at night.

Sorry about your week. Sadly, it does make me feel more normal if you are loosing patience with your 4 year old too.

Brandon and Camille Smithson said...

I'm so sad that Clara is sick and I completely understand. Actually, I remember (even though it's been a year) all too well. I had a very simular situation with Melanie beging extremely sick right after I had Noelle. And it led to Noelle being extremely sick. So, as if you didn't have enough on your plate, try to keep those two separate as much as possible ( I know, it's probably NOT possible. At least it wasn't at my house). I'll say a prayer for you as well. Maybe if we team up it will help!

Beka said...

THAT annoying "COUGH" is going around hitting everyone i know.....seriously anna:)- just having sick kids irks me:)- not that i dont love my sweet kids, but i lack big time in the patience area!!! (i know thats why i got twins b/c i need it more than you do) i think thats def the hardest lesson to learn as a parent. hope she gets better soon so she can come to L&B bday party- and hope my boys coughs go away soon too!! we just bought a breathing machine- seemed to really help their coughs ALOT- if you want to borrow it

Lindsay said...

Coughing drives me crazy too. I know it's bad when I tell my kids to stop coughing... like they can help it or are doing it on purpose??! Haha! Have you tried Vicks vapor rub and/or a cool mist humidifier to help with the coughing? Hope everyone is feeling better soon!

Jamie Wilkinson said...

Not only to I get annoyed by incessant coughing, but I also get annoyed by "Mommy watch!" said fifty thousand times a day. I am forever feeling inadequate in the patience department.

I hope Clara gets better soon. She's too sweet to be sick. Plus, it can't be easy taking care of a sick little girl along with a brand-new baby.

JLynn said...

I'm sorry I had to laugh at your irritation with clara's coughing, because I get irritated when cache is sniffling all the time AND because he still doesn't get the concept of blowing his nose and yells NO at me when I take him to blow his nose. Cache has to be the noisiest kid I've ever met (I'm laughing as I type this, because he's walking around making voices/playing/sound effects.) the kid is never quiet, unless he is sleeping! haha. I'm rude and mean when I holler out for him to be quiet, because he just talks and makes sound effects nonstop and I"m never away from him so it can wear on his mother's nerves! I'm just laughing at myself, because it seems all mothers get annoyed at times with how noisy our kids can be and are! hope clara is better soon! and hope hazel doesn't cry unless she needs something. :)

angela hardison said...

i HATE coughing. just ask clint. i get really mean.

i hope clara is better and that i'm going to see you guys tonight... i need to hold hazel.