Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Christmas

Christmas this year was kind of low key, but just right. Jason's parents stayed with us on Christmas Eve so they opened presents with us Christmas morning. Clara and her cookies for Santa (we almost forgot, whoops). On Christmas morning, things were pretty quiet at our house, even having Jason's parents there. My memories of Christmas morning growing up in a big family, included impatiently waiting in a designated sibling's room until a "reasonable" hour to wake my parents up, impatiently waiting my turn to open a present, impatiently waiting for everyone else to open a present, etc. So I guess the point is: being an only child eliminates having to be patient on Christmas morning. :) I sure hope she enjoyed it because it was her last Christmas as the lone child.

I had no intention of Clara getting everything she asked for. But for her birthday, my mom got her "a music thing that plays music in her room" (aka clock radio) and that left only two items on her wish list: reindeer pj's and her own Christmas tree. I was delighted when I saw some reindeer pj's at Wal Mart (that I purchased, then later purchased a different pair that I found there another time that I liked better). I got those for Clara and told her I let Santa know. I just wanted her to be able to wear them Christmas Eve. Then she got her own tree with decorations from Santa (how could he resist when it was $2.79 on clearance at Michael's?). That morning she came into our room and we kept sleeping. She left then came back in with the tree and Jason let her go back to look at her other stuff. When I realized what was happening, I made him go get her and I jumped (well, not really, I was 9 months pregnant after all) out of bed. Obviously we've never discussed our "rules" for Christmas morning. Clara loved her toothbrushes (since she normally only gets fancy toothbrushes from the dentist, ha ha).
And obviously she had to put a dress-up dress on in order to put make up on.
I finally got my two Christmas wishes that have been on my list for the last two years: a bigger house and a baby (well, close enough). I think we do a good job of making sure we recognize the true meaning of Christmas all throughout December. However, I realized this year that we do a poor job of doing anything on the actual day of Christmas. Something to work on for next year.
We went over to my parent's for brunch and I spent about 80% of the day sitting in my parent's front lawn eating, visiting, watching Rachel sew, enjoying the warm sun and green grass and wondering when I would have a baby. This explains why all my pictures from the day are taken from a chair. I didn't get up and walk around a whole lot.
Rachel and I capped off the night by making a late-night run to Walgreen's for some Castor oil... more on that later (maybe). We both were wondering why there were SO many people at the store on Christmas. The Castor oil was basically an emergency (ha, ha). Perhaps the guy buying a 24-pack considered that an emergency too.
PS I'm well aware that this post doesn't flow very well. It's all over the place, especially the first part. Too bad, I don't have the desire to change it. :)

6 comments:

Brandon and Camille Smithson said...

I think it's cute that Clara wanted reindeer PJ's and her own Christmas tree for her Christmas Wish. Very cute!

I also think that's a cute belly picture you got the day before Hazel joined the family. Very cute. All my baby belly pictures are not so pretty. I must try your angles next time.

Jen said...

I totally thought that was prego you in the swing and about flipped! ha ha!

Jamie Wilkinson said...

What lovely pictures. Arizona is at its best in the winter and spring (or at least, the valley is). Did you actually try the castor oil?

Sound like a great, relaxing Christmas, which is the perfect kind right before you give birth.

Lisa said...

Looks and sounds like it was a perfect day before Hazel joined the family. I find it funny about the toothbrushes, Santa puts those in our stockings too!!

angela hardison said...

i look so... attractive.. in that picture. NOT. i feel like i kinda missed out on christmas this year since i was sick the whole day. oh well.

Tiffany Haynes said...

Was the castor oil supposed to help induce you? My dad told my mom with their first that if she drank some castor oil it would help move things along. So my mom being impatient drank like the whole bottle. She said it didn't help at all except give her major diarrhea. haha. I'd love to hear if you did the same thing and if it actually worked for you.