With Clara, according to my cycle (and no, I'm not referring to a unicycle, Ryan), I was due December 15th. In my 8 week ultra sound, the fetal measurements indicated a December 22nd due date. We kept it at the 15th, Clara was born on the 21st and I was 6 days late. Or was I really 1 day early?
With this one, according to my cycle, I was due December 15th. (What are the chances... let's not analyze that piece too much). In my 8 week ultra sound, the fetal measurements indicated a December 25th due date. My doctor said if that due date is more than 10 days different than the counting method, they typically move the date, hence my 25th due date. If I hadn't had that ultrasound, I'd have the 15th as my due date and I probably would have been induced this upcoming week.
Instead, I have an induction scheduled on the 28th. According to my due date, that's only 3 days over due and it's giving me anxiety. Yet again, had I not had an ultrasound at that first appointment, it would appear to be a medically necessary induction and not a I-need-to-have-this-baby-by-the-end-of-the-year induction (tax credit, additional dependent, deductible doubles in 2011, see the need?). It makes me skeptical when I hear people being a week early or 2 weeks late.
I think this all boils down to my anxiety about being induced being only a few days over due. I know some people have had great experiences, and even prefer it that way, but I kind of like to let nature take its course. I don't want to be induced and we scheduled it just in case. At my appointment next week, my doctor said we'd reassess to decide if being induced only 3 days after my due date will create any sort of risk of complication. If so, we'll cancel the induction and wait it out. Having the baby in 2011 will cost us several thousand more than in 2010, but I'd rather be healthy and have a healthy delivery.
Of course I'm hoping we never even make it to the 28th... Clara said she hopes the baby is born on her birthday. I told her to pray for it. Ha.
Here you go, 39 weeks, 1 day and plenty blurry (not wearing anything over my belly other than my tank top makes it look nice and plump).
Take 1 Whoops, forgot to set the timer.
Take 2Still bad lighting, still haven't figured out how to explain to Clara how to smile and still wishing I had a better camera and a personal photographer to follow me around.
Better luck next time...

8 comments:
Good luck! You also don't want to be too overdue either because the bigger they get, the less fluid is in there. And the risk of them having a bowel movement is greater. So, pluses and minuses all around. Hopefully the baby will be timely and you won't have to worry about it!
Cute!
Love the pictures (take one made me smile). You know, I had an induction scheduled for the same reason for the 31st at 3:00 am (can you believe that timing, seriously, that would have been a bad day, ha ha). I felt greedy and nervious about doing it, but then, in the end, it wasn't needed. Maybe you won't need it either (hopefully!!!) Good luck. And please let me know if you need anything.
P.S. It's a tradition in our house that every year every member of the family gets to pick out 1 new christmas ordiment for the tree. This year Melanie picked a pink ballerina and named it Clara. Just thought you should know.
Just remember that all the anxiety about the due date will disappear the moment the baby is born. I felt it was important to let nature take its course, so I waited until almost three weeks after my due date. Then I was still induced. I'll send contraction vibes your way ;)
Cute family pictures. I love Clara's dress.
Well, I hope you can go into labor all on your own like I did both times. :) I have never been induced, and I have NEVER had pitocin(sp.?)! I hear that stuff makes contractions worse?. I don't know, but I'm with you, I'm happy to have nature takes it's course. Cache was 2 days late and that was accurate according to my dates. :) I thought Casen was due June 10th, but my midwife said June 13th... Casen didn't care and was born May 30th. I think he was exactly two weeks early. Walk some stairs and eat some FRESH pineapple... I ate fresh pineapple the whole week before I had Casen and the night I went into labor with Cache. I plan on eating fresh pineapple again with my 3rd. I'm not gonna bank on it 100%.... but I really think it helps me go into labor.. well I think that just a little bit, since it happened twice! buy some, maybe that might do it for ya! ;) I really hope you have a healthy happy delivery for you and baby! Sure miss you!
Jason's face in the first picture reminds me of how my Husband looks in ANY picture I try to take of him : ) It's because he knows it's for the blog !
I was induced with Elizabeth and I remember it being a super fast labor, but also a lot more intense. It's kind of funny that I can say I've done a normal vaginal, an induced labor, a planned C Section and an emergency C Section. I'm pretty experienced : ) But I agree with letting your body do it's job. Good luck and keep us posted.
Start doing some squats sister !
I love your pictures! I need you new address to send a Christmas letter! Send via email or facebook. davidgatticorless@yahoo.com
Thankyou!
I totally agree with the whole due date thing. Although, I don't think my doctors will ever let me go passed my due date again cuz Nolan was induced a week late and was 9lbs 6oz. so for this next one the doctor has already said we are shooting for my due date. I have mixed feelings. I too, think letting nature take it's course is the best but I also don't want to have to go through the recovery of an almost 10 lb baby again. If only you could just order the kind of delivery and date you want, fill out a little slip of paper.
Good luck!
Post a Comment