Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Life At Home

We came home from the hospital yesterday morning. So far, we've all adjusted well and it's nice to be home.

The hardest thing for Clara right now is keeping her distance. She has a cold and so we are trying to keep her out of Hazel's face for a few days. She touches her head, brings her stuffed animals and loves to watch her. A few times she's come up to her and waved her arms really fast a few inches above Hazel, making it evident how difficult it is not to give unlimited hugs to her new sister. She can't wait to have a little more interaction with her once she's feeling better. This morning, Clara heard Hazel wake up, ran into her room and climbed up the side of the crib to see her. It was more exciting than Christmas. That's a good sign.
Last night I fed Hazel a little after Midnight and then she only woke up twice more to eat - once at 3:30 and again at 6:20. Way better than that last night in the hospital. She must like her crib and having her own room. Needless to say, I woke up feeling great. So good, in fact, that I'm a little nervous about tonight. Or maybe I just got one of those magical babies that sleeps well at night. Definitely cute. Possibly magical.
Jason's company closed their office for the week so he's home, but is tired. He wants to know why he's so tired. I think it's either:
A.) Watching your wife labor and give birth naturally is exhausting;
B.) Sleeping all night while your wife has a night of broken sleep leaves one feeling a little sleepy; or,
C.) Living with someone recovering from giving birth and breastfeeding a newborn sure zaps the energy out of you.

What do you think?

19 comments:

Kami Milliron said...

Oh man, I think the whole tired hubby thing HAS to be from watching the wife. In my opinion at least. And I gave birth with drugs every time, so I have no experience with the natural part. But I remember being MISERABLE in the hospital with Josh. I wasn't in pain from my C Section but Josh cried every night and my poor lady lumps were cracked and bleeding ( TMI, maybe ) so Tyler had to hear Josh cry and then he would look over to see me crying : ) But Josh slept awesome as soon as we brought him home and he has been a fabulous, all night sleeper ever since.

I was lucky with Douglas, he wanted nothing to do with Josh. So we really didn't worry about the whole hands in the face face, hugs and kisses or anything like that. It's totally a big sister type thing. But now that Josh is older, Douglas can't leave him alone ! I love it though.

I cannot wait to give Hazel a big ol' squeeze : ) She is just scrumptious !

angela hardison said...

awwww i can't wait til i'm better and can hold her too.

Beka said...

so so cute:)!! cant believe i havent met her yet- what a lame friend i am! glad she slept better for you:)

Lisa said...

Enjoy this time,it goes by so fast! Rob and I are 4 years apart and when my mom brought him home I took him in my room to "play toys". She didn't know where he was and I had him in my room on the floor. Yikes! Anyway, congrats again to all of you I can't wait to meet sweet little Hazel. Hugs and kisses!!

Allison Johnson said...

Must be a daddy baby thing. If I wanted my hubby to instantly fall asleep, all I had to do was hand him a sleeping baby to hold...

I AM JOE PESCI said...

I love her! She's beautiful.

Jen said...

Ha Ha Ha I know seriously:) Luckily Scott was never too tired this 2nd time around. But i remember with Katelyn he always was tight along with me :)

Oh She is just too precious! & I hope Clara gets better soon!

Bekah: said...

Poor Jason all that observing MUST be exhaustive. I feel really bad for him ;)

Anna! You have done it again. She is beautiful!

And I am just so happy for Clara.

Ashley Harris said...

Yeah, I love it that when I have babies, Matt gets LOTS of sleep (I don't make him get up at night or anything like that) but somehow wants to nap every day. I'm like, uh REALLY?!

So your baby is gorgeous! So ready for it to be my turn!!! Oh, and I'm still amazed by your birth story.

Donna said...

LOVE the picture of Clara and Hazel together! I used to love seeing my boys get so excited at a new brother. They still love hearing stories about that. :)

She's a total cutie, BTW. :)

DeWitts said...

She's so cute!

Jamie Wilkinson said...

Anna, she is seriously adorable. You and Jason just make cute kids. I love the picture of Clara and Hazel (great name, btw). Enjoy your new baby.

Deleted Blog said...

You forgot "D - All of the above." Congratulations!

Deleted Blog said...

That deleted blog is the Estes family!

The Smith's said...

Nice shirt Jason Can we have yours stevens is a little worn out

Tiffany Haynes said...

She's darling! I love the name Hazel. I also love the ten bows on Clara's head, darling.

Jen & Blake said...

Anna you are definately a champ in my book!! She is gorgeous, you are amazing. So glad she is here and hope that you get some much deserved sleep. I know we aren't close, but let me know if you need anything. We are super excited for you all:) Hopefully we can get together in the next month or two. And thought you would like to know we are expecting boy #3 this summer:)

Deb said...

Awww, having a new baby at home is the best. I'm so happy for you guys.

sheri rog said...

what a beauty!

and i will NEVER forget kelly, with olivia, over there on the couch sleeping as i'm there on my bed with a crying newborn, trying to learn to breastfeed, exhausted from pushing for 4 hours, bawling my eyes out!! (do i sound bitter??)