Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Almost 5

This morning Clara came into my room and got in bed with me and I asked her if she knew what today was. She said no, as if she hasn't been looking forward to her birthday for weeks. I sang her Happy Birthday and told her she's no longer 3 because today she turns 4. She got really excited and said, "So now I'm almost 5!" Patience my dear...


For lunch I told her she could go anywhere she wants. She wanted McDonald's. I think McDonald's could be my least favorite place to eat so I told her we could go somewhere fancy and sit down and eat, hoping she'd change her mind. To that she asked, "Can we sit down at McDonald's". McDonald's it was. My mom, Lily, James and Rachel's kids met us and after Clara ate as little as possible, she enjoyed playing with the kids.

I almost did a friend party for Clara for the first time. I decided being 9 months pregnant wasn't a good idea to host several little 4 year olds so I decided to simplify and just invite some family and a few special friends. Somehow my simplification turned into making 20 houses for kids to decorate and having 41 guests for dinner. Apparently I feel the need to simplify, I just don't really know how to do it. Which is why I went to bed last night with 20 houses on my table.
I did simplify with the cake. Originally I was going to make these cupcakes but after piping a few of these snowflakes, I decided making 40 was not a good idea. So instead I used the cupcake as inspiration for my cake.
I don't think chaos and simplicity can coexist...
The night turned out lovely. Clara had a great time decorating her house, playing with cousins and friends and opening presents. I think we were both a little overwhelmed by all the presents. Clara told me we "giveded her too many presents". So many people made her feel special today and I am grateful for all of them.
All during the party, I felt so blessed. I am grateful for our house. I am grateful for everyone that cleaned up after the party. {Really, really grateful}. I am grateful to be surrounded by family and friends. But today, I am most grateful for Clara. There really is no way to verbalize the joy she brings into my life. She makes me smile every single day. She makes me laugh, she helps me learn and grow and she helps me keep a positive outlook on life. She makes me want to be better and try harder. The weather today was exactly like the day she was born so I had fun reminiscing with her about that day. It was a good day, but only the beginning of a new chapter of life.

Happy Birthday my little goose.

8 comments:

JLynn said...

Fromreading your blog and the very few times I've gotten to visit you in recent years, it's always very clear what a strong bond you have with Clara. She is lucky to have you and you are lucky to have her. You have such a great relationship with your own mother too, I'm sure your relationship with Clara will always mirror your own relationship with your mom and the closeness will always be there. How exciting a new little life awaits and I can imagine you will have an equally strong bond with her as well. You're great Anna. I hope the best for you within the next week or so when you have your baby. Sure love you!

Lisa said...

Happy Birthday to Clara! It looks like she had a wonderful day. You did an awesome job on her cake too. Give her birthday hugs from us!!

I AM JOE PESCI said...

We love Clara! Jonathan keeps asking to have her over to play. Let's do that soon.

Marie said...

Happy Birthday Clara!! I do the same thing with inviting family over friends and it turns out to be more work too. You would think I would learn, but I am a slow one.

Kami Milliron said...

Josh will be one next week and I have thought about the same thing with inviting a few little friends. I'm just not sure. But your party looked like it was a blast ! To be honest, when I read the title, I sort of hoped you meant almost five . . centimeters ; ) Shucks !

Jamie Wilkinson said...

That cake is amazing! I tried making Lily's cake for her third birthday. It did not turn out well.

You are very ambitious. I don't think I'd ever host a party for forty plus people.

ps: I'll email you my gingerbread recipe. It's really yummy.

Ashley Harris said...

I'm so impressed! What a fun party!!

Brandon and Camille Smithson said...

Happy birthday Clara! Almost 5! That's AWESOME! I love the cake. Those snowflakes are too cute! We were going to call Clara today and wish her a happy birthday but the day got crazy, and now, instead, she is screaming "teach me to walk" from the comfort of her bed, but she is *suppose* to be asleep. I can see she had a lot of fun. :o)