Sunday, July 4, 2010

The 4th {and 3rd} of Joo-ly

Earlier this week I found myself humming Battle Hymn of the Republic at my client. Someone asked me if I sang that with my church choir (he'd recently found out I sang in the choir). I responded affirmatively and added that we'd be singing that song this month in church. Someone else said, "I thought you were only allowed to sing religious songs in church." His comment totally surprised me. I told him that song, and many other patriotic songs are contained in our hymn book and those songs are in fact, very religious. They all reference God and acknowledge Him as the reason this Country exists. Then I thought long and hard about how people consider songs about our Country, our Country that was founded by God-fearing men, our Country that gives all freedom of religion, non-religious. How soon so many have forgotten the foundation for this Country began long before our founding fathers were born. It was prepared and then men were prepared to start a great nation and God's hand was involved in every step of the way. How far we've fallen from respecting, honoring and revering our founding fathers that were divinely inspired as they paved the way and took the steps to building the beginning of this great Nation that we are blessed to live in. It left me feeling a little sad. Sad for our Country and sad for those that don't recognize God's involvement.


We celebrated on Saturday with swimming and a BBQ at R&K's. Original, I know, but lots of fun regardless. Maybe that's why it's such a great tradition, no one gets sick of it. The girls had a dance party in L&E's bedroom after dinner. I tried to join in and was informed by Clara, "This is not for mommas. Only for big girls and babies." They must have been jealous of my dance moves.
Around 9:20pm, Kathryn, Angela, Clara, Lucy, Elsa and I loaded up and drove to an empty dirt lot near downtown Mesa to watch the fireworks from the car that were set off from MAC. We had a perfect view, comfy seats, the kidlets were contained (heads popping out the sunroof and windows), a light breeze, no crowds and parking and exiting were done with ease. Best time I've had watching fireworks in this lovely scorching desert.


In church today we sang The Star Spangled Banner for our closing hymn. By the middle of the second verse, I could no longer stop the tears as I reflected on the circumstance these beautiful words were written. I was reminded of the thoughts I had earlier this week at my client and the realization that many have forgotten. The last verse especially left me thinking a lot about God's presence in our Country and how that has changed over the decades. I was overwhelmed with gratitude for those that have sacrificed, those that continue to sacrifice, the opportunity to live in this land, the freedoms I enjoy and also, for those that continue to worship the almighty God and recognize his hand and Him as an essential role in the coming forth of our Nation. But I must admit, I was also a little saddened to think of how many try to rid this Country of God, try to discredit his inspiration and orchestration of events that took place so many years ago and no longer respect our founding fathers.

7 comments:

DeWitts said...

Looks like fun!

Happy 4th of July!

Jen said...

I love signing patriotic songs. They get me every time too.

Tiffany Haynes said...

I didn't realize until Saturday that Sunday was the fourth of July. How sad is that? I vowed that next year I would do my best to plan and prepare things so we would actually celebrate this amazing holiday.

Deb said...

"Jealous of your dance moves" ha, ha too funny.

I always cry when listening to patriotic music too. I love it.

mommy said...

I'd be jealous of your dance moves too.

Brandon and Camille Smithson said...

I've been having simular thoughts lately. It makes me really sad.

I don't know about you, but patrotic songs make me tear up, but want to sing louder at the same time. I love that we always stand up and sing the Star Spangled Banner in sacrament meeting on the 4th. The spirit that it brings is undiscribeable.

P.S. The dancing party is awesome. I'm sure the moves out do the outfits, but from the picture, it's hard to think that anything can top that! How much fun is that!?! :o)

Rhiannon said...

I lead the music in Sacrament. We sang The Star Spangled Banner too, at the beginning of church. So I was no good for the rest of church.