Observations: Angela would really enjoy Seattle.
Realizations: Jason and I have even more opposite views of money than I originally thought. Our flight was overbooked. They were offering a $425 voucher to take a flight 3.5 hours later and Jason wouldn't do it. They had two so that would have been $850 in vouchers to fly anywhere on US Airways just to hang out for a few extra hours. How did I lose that battle?
Fact: This was Clara's 3rd time flying, Jason's 5th and my 15th, 20th, somewhere in there.
Favorite: Quality one-on-one time with my cousin Rob. That's not easy when I don't think we've ever lived in the same state for an extended period of time.
Least favorite: Clara being exhausted and acting accordingly.
The details for posterity: Suzanne took us to the airport and off we flew to Seattle.
For dinner, we met my cousin Rob at a restaurant across the street from our hotel. I loved visiting with him and after dinner, we walked around downtown for a while and he pointed out a few things, told us a little history and made a few dining recommendations. Then we sat in the hotel lobby and visited for another little while... Clara fell asleep on me again, poor little goose.Observations: There is an incredible variety of people in Seattle; even more diverse than ASU's campus (which is pretty diverse)
Realizations: I'm not into science fiction and although I love history and learning, I really only love it if it's a subject that fascinates me (rock music, not such a subject).
Fact: Seattle is the farthest North I've ever been
Favorite: The aquarium, specifically the octopus
Least favorite: Clara's tired/sick-induced tantrum
The details for posterity: Clara woke up in the middle of the night due to a coughing spell. I finally calmed her down, but her disrupted and lack of sleep was very apparent this morning. We had breakfast and then certain events left me declaring we were not leaving our hotel room until Clara had a nap. That's not what I planned on doing our first morning, but I knew it would be awful taking Clara into public with how tired she was. So at 10:30am, we all fell asleep for a much needed two hour nap. We took the monorail to the Seattle Center and went to the Space Needle.
Then we went over to the Experience Music ProjectScience Fiction Museum (EMPSFM). It was interesting, but most of the pictures I took were for my BIL Clint. It definitely wasn't kid-friendly. Jason enjoyed it much more than I.
Friday: The day I almost cry
Observations: Lots of people smoke in Seattle. Everywhere stinks like smoke. Almost every elevator I got on stunk. One time Clara said, "That guy's smoking. He must not know it's bad for him and that it will turn his insides black and his outsides yellow." (I've tried to explain, but I think it's difficult for a three year old to grasp the concept of addiction).
Realizations: My dream vacation might not involve Jason... not because I don't like him but because the things we enjoy doing are very different.
Fact: We walked a billion miles today
Favorite: The Butterfly Exhibit at the Science Center.
Least favorite: Watching Shrek 3D. I almost vomited at the cost and then almost vomited again after eating a pretzel and cheese at the theater for dinner.
The details for posterity: Our first and main destination was the Pacific Science Center ("PSC"). We almost tried to squeeze the Science Center into two hours the day before. When we did go, we spent nearly four hours there and it probably would've been longer if the Mister wasn't with us. They had a ton of exhibits, some of my favorites were the tides in the Puget Sound, the mirrors, a tide pool where you can touch creatures, the music station in the tot area, the butterfly exhibit and the naked mole rat display.
Observations: The diversity in landscape of our earth is marvelous.
Realizations: I would rather go hiking in the forest than drive to the top of a mountain just to see it closer.
Facts: We drove 330 miles, going from Seattle to Enumclaw (south of Seattle) to Mt. Rainier to Enumclaw to Arlington (North of Seattle) and back to Seattle.
Favorite: Visiting with Jason's Uncle Bobby, Connie's oldest brother, and his wife Gena.
Least Favorite: Not going on a hike to enjoy the dense and lush forest at the foot of Mt. Rainier
The Details for Posterity: I really wanted to see the Market and some lady told us they open early "at 5 or 5:30am". So I woke up at 6am, snuck out of the hotel room and walked down to the Market alone. The only people even starting to set up for the day were the fish, flowers and produce folk. I hung out for an hour or so, enjoyed my brisk walk in the crisp, cool morning air and then picked up some produce and pastries for breakfast. We ate in our room, got ready and walked to the car rental location. We then drove up down to Enumclaw, where Jason's aunt and uncle live.
We had a short visit and then his uncle rode up to Mt. Rainier with us. Clara called him "Brampa" and he spoiled her. But, they both enjoyed it, so what am I do to? We drove around a lot. It was beautiful and there was still TONS of snow up there. Mountains are amazing.
Observations: Public transportation is pretty handy (at least in a city like Seattle)
Realizations: I think we need to start a revolution - more male persons need to be involved in music related callings in the LDS church.
Facts: Today was the first time Jason, Clara and I had ever stepped foot on a public bus. Perhaps I should've been more like a sister of mine and ditched school to ride the bus downtown...
Favorite: Not having any difficulty getting to church (public transportation can be intimidating to someone who has no experience with it).
Least Favorite: Coming back to reality.
The Details for Posterity: Clara slept well in the hotel room (thank you black out drapes!), arising each morning around 7:15 or 7:30am. Of course she chooses the morning we actually had to be somewhere at a certain time to sleep in until 8:30am. Regardless, we got ready, quickly mapped our bus route and headed out, arriving, by bus, at the church just a few minutes late. I love attending church. I contemplated several good excuses why we didn't need to hop a bus just to attend church. But the minute I walked in, I was completely satisfied with the time and money we spent getting there. The congregation was a stark contrast to our Ward here in Arizona, but the spirit, the music, the messages and the sacrament were in complete harmony with our usual religious feast on Sunday. A few things I noted: the congregation was small but they sure did sing. Most of the wards I have attended here in Arizona don't have that. I enjoyed the male choir conductor with his green jacket/blazer and coordinating green striped shirt (who had an incredible voice that I could hear all the way in the back row). Then there was a men's quartet that sang the special musical number and when I dropped Clara off at primary, I noted a man was the primary chorister. All of this left me wondering, since when did it become "not cool" in the southwest for those of the male gender to have and share vocal talents? Hence my suggested revolution above. I really enjoy men's singing. Anyway, Sunday School was unique, lots of interesting thoughts, and then we had to catch a bus back to our hotel to make sure we had enough time to pack up.
The light rail has a direct and quick route from the airport to near our hotel, but Sunday it was under construction. Fortunately they had a free shuttle taking people to the first open light rail station. Clara fell asleep, again, on the light rail. I carried her for quite some time after we got off (it's quite a walk from the airport terminals to the light rail station) and then she slept on my lap, in Jason's and didn't wake up until we went through security. Poor little goose was exhausted. When she was awake, she insisted on rolling her own bag.
The light rail has a direct and quick route from the airport to near our hotel, but Sunday it was under construction. Fortunately they had a free shuttle taking people to the first open light rail station. Clara fell asleep, again, on the light rail. I carried her for quite some time after we got off (it's quite a walk from the airport terminals to the light rail station) and then she slept on my lap, in Jason's and didn't wake up until we went through security. Poor little goose was exhausted. When she was awake, she insisted on rolling her own bag.

14 comments:
i think i would like seattle too (i know i would).
but what i really like is clara's face in the hubble 3D movie picture. HA!!! also that octopus is craaazy.
Awesome pictures! The one of Clara rolling her bag in the airport reminded me of a celebrity for some reason. LOL!
Looks like you guys had a great time! I love Seattle, we need to take our kids there too soon. So glad yo got to visit with Rob, he really enjoyed spending time with you guys too.
What a fun filled vacation! No wonder Clara fell asleep on you any chance she could.
My sister is moving back up to Seattle next week. I can not wait to go visit her.
Thanks for sharing your adventure! It really sounded like a lot of fun. I'm glad you're home safe and sound.
My favorite: the octopus picture
Least favorite: that you didn't get to go on a hike through the forest.
What a fun trip! We went to Seattle with Evan when he was about the same age as Clara and had so much fun. Our salvation was a DVD player with Nemo on it for the plane ride:)
I don't even know where to begin.
You guys did so much & it all looked fun & beautiful.
You can totally tell Clara had a ball.
That is a cool picture from the plane on your ride home. WOW, some of those pictures and details bring back A LOT of memories from our Honeymoon ! We went to that same Butterfly museum. I love Seattle ! There are some parts that are a little scary - you know, kind of like down town Phoenix : ) I LOVED Pikes Market though. Very cool.
See ya tonight ! Oh and Janae is coming : )
loved all the pics! sounded like a really great trip! makes me wanna go there! cant believe all that snow. you are funny- my sis's hub & i played with a male chorister in primary before---i think kids love them the best:)!!
we need to hang out now:)!!
Anna that looked like sooooooooooo much fun. Exhausting, but in the good way. I loved all your storytelling and great pictures. (Glad the camera made it!)
So Ian served his mission in Seattle and has his heart set on settling down there some day. He came in while I was looking at your blog and I told him you guys went to seattle and showed him a few pics...I won't tell you the mean things he said out of jealousy. Not personally mean, more along the lines of "that's not fair why does everyone get to go to seattle and not me? I hate them" (Don't worry, he doesn't really hate you, he's just jealous.)
So if you type "Seattle Aquarium octopus" into Youtube, you can see a video of an octopus eating a shark. It's pretty cool.
fun, fun, fun! i think a sisters' trip would be an excellent idea. my best trip ever was sans kids and husband. start thinking where/when you'd like to go.
Wow - that almost made me dizzy reading about so many sight-seeing spots! How fun!
when you said you didn't like rock music I thought, she must have gone to the EMP.
glad you got to do so much fun stuff in the great state of WA.
Post a Comment