I'm a pretty lucky person. Not so much because of the luck that would make others jealous, but the luck that makes you laugh at life. I am constantly being overcharged, undercharged, not charged, double charged, etc. on purchases. Why even in Seattle, we ate breakfast at the hotel twice and charged it to our room. At check out, they only showed us having one meal. I questioned it and the girl said they can't do anything about it if the restaurant didn't get them the information. I asked a few more times because while I love a free meal, I'd rather have a clear conscience. It's not always good, mind you. Oft times my luck is more like when both our freezers went out in the same month or getting sued when you can't pay your bills to begin with. One very awkward moment was when I bought four pair of sunglasses from Ross. I only needed one, but didn't have time to decide which pair I wanted, so I bought them all. When I went to return the unwanted ones, I realized I hadn't been charged for a pair. I explained this to the cashier who just looked back and forth from me, to the sunglasses that weren't on my receipt. It was obvious she assumed I'd stolen them and my conscience got the best of me. You know, stuff that just kind of makes you laugh.
My last string of luck, however, was rather unique. Last week, as I was checking out at Costco, I was approached by the people with the hand scanner trying to convince me I needed to upgrade my membership because I spend too much money there. We started talking and they said, "When you renew your membership next month..." I stopped them because I had just renewed when I was in here last. They told me they had no record of it and that since I wasn't even up for renewal until July it shouldn't have popped up yet. I knew I'd paid my renewal because I remember my conversation with the cashier (I even told him it seemed to come faster than a year) and I remember my conversation with Jason convincing him I hadn't really spend that much money at Costco because part of it was the renewal.
So I went home and that night, during a bout of insomnia at 3am, I found my receipt. Sure enough, the renewal was there. Oh, but it was for someone else's membership number. Awesome. I renewed someone else's membership two months before mine was due. The cashier couldn't get my card to scan and had keyed in my number and missed one little digit. I get human error, but I was shocked to find out there is no check in the system to make sure the number he entered matches my name. I got it all straightened out, got my money back and had a whole crew of people at Costco bewildered that something like that could and did happen. They shouldn't worry about it too much... it's just me.
Tuesday, June 22, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

13 comments:
At least you call it "luck"
Funny. and Random, thanks for sharing!
good job for keeping your receipt.
I think we have the same kind of luck:)
Wow, that's crazy. You're very lucky and unlucky at the same time.
I think they should give you a free upgrade. :o) Good catch!
I think they should give you a free upgrade. :o) Good catch!
it happens to the best of us. i went to return some things the other day and noticed i wasn't charged for another item i had purchased. when i tried to explain it, the girl looked at me like i was crazy, pretended that she was going to do something about it, and then just refunded me and ignored the whole situation. it was weird.
i would say INCREDIBLE Luck!
Love it. Love it.
Love this!
I usually don't catch it until I am out of the store. I'm glad everything worked out with Costco. I also wish that people would be honest all the time (is that too much to ask?:) There have been situations where I want to fix something, but I know they won't believe me.
All this luck of yours sounds like a lot of extra hassle. Or maybe I'm just lazy. Sometimes when I get "lucky" I don't want to spend the time or patience to correct it. You are a much better person than I. And way to go on keeping your reciept in order to prove costco wrong.
awesome. another point for the receipt-horders.
Post a Comment