In general, Clara has been a great sleeper. She stays in bed at night, she takes great naps (pretty sure she's not napping right now though) and usually, it's done without a fight. Even switching her from her crib was a breeze. About 6 months ago, she started waking up in the night and coming into our room. Sometimes she'd sneak in and I wouldn't realize it until morning that she was in our bed. But most of the time, I'd wake up and Jason or I would take her back to bed or give her a hug and kiss and send her back to bed. After that she'd stay in her bed the rest of the night. It wasn't that bad, but waking up in the night regularly got old so Clara and I had a little talk. I wanted to know why she had started doing this. She told me that sometimes when she woke up at night, she was scared because it was dark. She's always had a night light in her room, but it wasn't very bright. I proposed that we buy her a new night light so if she woke up, she could see the light and go back to sleep. She was so excited to get a new light, but mostly because I let her get a Sleeping Beauty one.
Sleeping Beauty or not, it worked like a charm.
Until last night.
Clara woke up crying. I went into her room and once she calmed down I asked her why she was crying. She said she was scared so I asked of her of what. She said, "My light."
Nothing beats 3-year old manipulation.
10 comments:
Ha ha man I love 3 year olds! That is seriously the funniest stage in my opinion. They just say and do the most hilarious things! Well, I hope you, Clara, and Princess Nightlight all work something out - for your sleep's sake! ;)
She's hilarious! Jonathan's been doing the same thing. It'll be the middle of the night. I hear his door open. I hear little pitter patter of feet running to my room. He then climbs into bed and steals my pillow. I ask him why he's there, and he rarely knows why. Sometimes it's because he's "sad." I couldn't handle it anymore, so now when I tuck him in at night, I tell him that he's not to come into my room during the night unless it's an emergency. I told him when I don't get enough sleep then I'm a grumpy mom.
Works like a charm. But I have to tell him every night or else he'll end up in my bed at 2 am.
Sweet dreams!!
I miss you bugging me too . . .
Douglas used to sleep in pitch black up until about the age of 3. And then when my Dad and Elizabeth passed away, he started being scared of the dark. So now he has to sleep with his light on. He can't sleep with just a night light or just the hall light on - his room light HAS to be on for him to sleep. It's weird how things change. But funny how she was scared of her night light ! She is such a funny girl.
1st of all, Her pic- well, I'm just loving it!
Sleeping beauty can be pretty scary ya know:)
i miss having a 3 year old. she looks adorable in that pic.
She is a silly girl! That's sounds like something Melanie would do though. I love it! (only because I'm not the one getting up... well, I'm getting up, but not for that reason)
Oh my gosh. You described Ethan exactly. He gets up multiple times at night b/c of the dark. He has a train night light that he picked out a long time ago at the store, but now it's 'monsters this' and 'monsters that', 'monster in my bed', 'do you see that?', 'look at that! what's happening?' Maybe he's just preparing me for a newborn. Whatever the reason, I think it's safe to say that most kids just love sleeping in mom and dad's beds. If you find something that works, be sure to let me know! :)
Kids they crack you up! I think most of the time all you can do is laugh at them.
yeah, we have never had good luck with night lights. (Scary shadows or gives them light to play and stay up later)
My kids sleep in the pitch dark with the door completely shut. Seems to work the best. my kids definitely go through stages of being afraid of the dark (always seems to hit about the same age), but I just try my hardest to stay consistent and they eventually grow out of it.
However, I have to say Felicity is the creepiest. She will occasionally wake up and quietly come into my room. I wake up to breathing 6 inches from my face and open my eyes to see a silhouette standing in front of me. Has happened enough to where I should be used to it, but nope...nearly scares the pee out of me everytime.
She's smart like her mama!
Post a Comment