Sunday, November 15, 2009

Another Week, Another List

Things that made this past week great...

Friends (various reasons, various friends)
Clara taking pictures of me blowing bubbles (I may or may not eat that entire tin of Almond Roca by myself)My birthday
Lunch with my mom
Dinner with Jason and Clara*
A new pressure canner/cooker
Flowers
Jason getting off early on Thursday
Planning a little vacation
Hope
Thinking of Christmas shopping
Seeing Barbosa in Costco** (see, it is cool to spend Friday night shopping at Costco)
My hour-long foot rub (I can't win, no matter how I rotate this picture, it uploads sideways)
See?
Her (yeah, never a dull moment)
Celebration with friends
Rain and cold (AZ cold) weather
Flowers again
Celebrations with family (especially the plastic wrap on the cake... my mom wanted to keep germs off it)
*For dinner we went to Bandera. I think it's one of the few nicer places Jason thinks the quality of food is actually worth the cost. Most often, he'd prefer Taco Bell. He's into quantity not quality. Anyway, it's really, really funny to me every time I eat in Scottsdale. It's like middle-aged people living a college party life, trying to impress people with material things and thinking they are better than everyone else. It's even funnier to bring kids with you because they are usually the only kid in the whole restaurant and people kind of look at you like there is something wrong with you for having a kid. Oh the sacrifices I make for a good meal. :)

**We went to Costco just before it closed to get Jason a new phone and in walks Leandro Barbosa (he lives just a few miles away from us... it's amazing how the demographics can change in a few miles, ha ha). After I asked him if Jason could take a picture of him and I, the guy that was with him offered to take one of all of us. The first shot wasn't perfectly centered and Jason was on the edge, so he took another one. Barbosa was very nice, very polite and laughed when Clara said "cheese". Then he said, "Nice to meet you guys." I think so often I assume that rich, famous people, especially athletes, are pompous jerks and I forget a lot of them are probably really normal. Like shopping for food at Costco on a Friday night. He was friendly, happy and was more than willing to take the picture. If I didn't see his face on TV several times a week during basketball season, I never would've guessed he's a millionaire and lives in a mansion by the way he talked to us and acted. I felt a little bit bad about interrupting his quick shopping trip, but I decided that's just the price you pay to make $6M a year.

15 comments:

I AM JOE PESCI said...

I totally agree - for $6mill a year, a picture here and there at Costco ain't so bad.

What a week!

Marie said...

How cool is that. I would never have guessed he lived so close.
I am glad you had a great b-day!

Jen said...

Happy Birthday!!!!
What a perfect way to celebrate:)

Kami Milliron said...

Aw, happy birthday. Sorry I didn't send you a card or anything. I am such a crappy friend ; ) But you got to see a Suns player - that's awesome ! It's not very often you see someone like that at Costco on a Friday night. Sounds like a decent, normal guy.

Glad you had a great birthday. And I do hope you ate that whole tin of Almond Rocca - you deserve it !

DeWitts said...

Happy Birthday! Looks like you had a good time.

Amy said...

Happy Birthday! That's awesome that you got to meet Leandro...I'm jealous. He seems like genuinely nice guy, just from watching him play basketball. I don't know how, but he does.

Julie said...

So cool!!! Ryan will be jealous you met Barbosa. I don't think I'd have the guts to ask for a picture so that makes you extra cool. You were already cool because you had a birthday. Happy birthday. . . you are still way young--even when you're not in the company of Brent Foutz. And last, Bandaras. . . I hope you had the grilled artichoke appetizer. Freakin' awesome! However the last time we were there the grill wasn't working so we couldn't get it. . . or half the items on the menu. So I haven't been back. But now you have me thinking about artichoke again. . .

P.S. Scottsdale people freak me out too.

Rachel+Co said...

confession: i had never heard of barbosa before reading this post.

love you. glad you had a great birthday and got flowers twice. and you probably shouldn't refer to az weather as cold unless you want to be subjected to my haughty laughter. you don't know the meaning of cold.

Tiffany Haynes said...

Happy belated Birthday! So glad it was a good one.
That's awesome you saw a famous person at Costco, of all places. I love that you had the guts to take a picture with him. I'm always a away to big of a chicken.

Deb said...

What a perfectly positive, happy post.

I started cracking up when I saw the plastic wrapped cake. That's awesome. It always freaks me out a little to eat cake someone just blew on because you know their spit is all over it. I do get over that little problem pretty quickly though, because hey...it's cake, who's going to turn down cake for a little bit of spit?

Kate said...

Oh happy birthday!! Now you're as old as me. Welcome to the club. ;) Sounded like you had a great birthday!

I LOVE Barbosa! Every interview I've seen with him he is so humble and happy. I knew he had a home up in the Las Sendas area... but I didn't know he had a Costco card.... I'm getting me one... ;)

Brandon and Camille Smithson said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I'm loving the wrap on the birthday cake. that is hilarious! :o)

angela hardison said...

i'm glad my flowers made it on to the blog, and i hoped they cheered you up. love you!

Lisa said...

Thank you for my birthday wishes! You're so on the ball!
I, on the other hand, am an entire week late saying:
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!
I hope you had a great day with your family!

Copple's said...

Hope you had a happy happy birthday! And way to score on the canner. Which one did you get. I have loved canning lately. The chicken taste way better that way to me.