Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Letter of Thanks

Dear Dell Laptop,

We both know I've never really liked you. My Gateway served me well for many, many years (well, computer years). Carrying me through endless nights of coding and programming and behaving for me well after my college days were over. We never really had problems with his hardware or software the entire time. In fact, the reason I bought you to replace said Gateway was because of simple things: too little memory (which I wouldn't say is a problem, we just outgrew it) and a battery that liked to melt the power cord (again, I'd expect things like this to happen after thousands of hours of use).

You, however, have been a headache from day one. I remember the day you arrived. I took you out of the box and just thought, ugh, you just feel cheap. The Husband picked you out because I wanted nothing to do with spending that much money. I'm not sure if your problems began when software was loaded or if Dell hadn't trained their employees how to correctly handle new software and ensure it functions properly with the hardware. I try to update you and fix you, but I think you might be a lemon. Is that possible? Do you think lemon computers exist? Actually, it doesn't really matter because I'm pretty sure you can't be fixed. I just know you may have easily shaved a few years off my life. Things like shutting down all by yourself before fully booting up (sometimes three or four times in a row), things like dying batteries and power cords long before your prime and things like turning on in the middle of the night after I've put you to sleep are not exactly attributes I look for in a computer. Perhaps you think you're clever and all grown up for being able to complete such tasks on your own, but laptops aren't meant to have a mind of their own. They are meant to be submissive and obey exactly as their masters wish.

However, I've never loved you so much as I did this afternoon when you gracefully jumped off my bed and weren't harmed one bit. No cracks, nothing. You didn't even turn off! I wouldn't say you are functioning great, because you're definitely not better than before your accident, but you function as you did prior to the accident, which makes me happy. I thought you were stable, but as I turned to get some checks, off the edge you went. As much as I dislike you, I don't intend on replacing you anytime soon. Thanks for jumping carefully.

01001100011011110111011001100101,
Your Owner

12 comments:

I AM JOE PESCI said...

I got teary just reading that. What a beautiful relationship you have with your 'puter.

(and were you secretly wishing that it'd smash to smithereens to justify getting a new one?)

angela hardison said...

Yep there's such thing as lemon computers; they're called PCs. Stop complaining and get a Mac :) Even if you have to spend a little bit more money, you'll thank me later.

My little laptop has lasted me YEARS and I've never had an issue. Oh and yes, it has survived plenty of falls too. Like when I was running to catch the bus at ASU and it flew out of my arms and skidded across the pavement and was almost run over. Still a beauty.

Kathryn said...

Did you just cuss in code?

mad white woman said...

Roccy: Not secretly wishing for a new one...

Angela: Sorry deary, my Gateway was a gem and it was a PC. Plus, I like being able to customize my laptops. Oh, and a little bit more? I don't think so.

Kathryn: No I didn't cuss, what kind of person do you think I am? But yes that is code... although I was only sending my love.

Kate said...

Poor Dell. He is a tough guy. ;)

Can you bring your spray bottle to church on Sunday? If not I'll call you to see when a good time for me to come pick it up is. Thanks for volunteering your spray bottle for me. 4 down 6 to go. Whoopie!

Melanie said...

Yes, there HAS to be lemon computers, because they were truly meant to be submissive & obedient, and I'm typing on a Dell, and it's been good to us. Sorry, I chuckled when I read your *code love* because I, too, thought you might have been condemning the 'putey.

Julie said...

Angela is smart. . . get a Mac. I agree that PC's take years off our life. My Mac will allow me cherished years with my great-grand children.

(Okay. . . I know they are more. But if you sell your magical house you SHOULD splurge!--Yes I'm evil).

Cook Zoo said...

Oh my gosh, I TOTALLY thought you were going to be excited because the whole thing broke apart, thereby forcing you to get a computer you could truly love. Sigh. LOL!

P.S. We used to have a Mac and they are genuinely superior machines, however we've been able to survive having a PC. (Yep, a Dell.)

Brenden+Nikki said...

ha ha I love your wittiness. (Is that how you spell that? I can't remember anything I learned in school anymore).

And I'm glad you laughed at my foot picture. When I took it I couldn't help but crack up. I showed Brenden and he cracked up. Then I showed Brenden's mom and she laughed even harder. We all think it looks like a pig's cloved foot. It's really quite hilarious.

Lindsay said...

Haha! Thanks for the laugh! Our laptop is a Dell and thankfully it's serving us just fine up to this point. :) But we don't need it to do anything fancy-like. We're just recreational computer users. ;)

Jamie Wilkinson said...

01010011 01100001 01110011 01110011 01111001 00100000 01100011 01101111 01101101 01110000 01110101 01110100 01100101 01110010 00101110 00100000 00100000 01001001 00100000 01110100 01101000 01101001 01101110 01101011 00100000 01101001 01110100 00100000 01101101 01110101 01110011 01110100 00100000 01100010 01100101 00100000 01100001 00100000 01100110 01100101 01101101 01100001 01101100 01100101

aaron said...

There are decent PCs, but it's hit and miss. I'm with Angela. On this one. Even if you're not going to run OSX, they're great. That 2 finger scroll is amazing! I'm an ubuntu guy, but I could convert.