Wednesday, July 15, 2009

I'm So Clever and Really Slow

Never mind I started this post on June 22nd...

For the last several years, I couldn't really get Jason anything for Father's Day. This year, I decided (or maybe my bank decided) I could. However, just because I can afford something doesn't mean I want to and it definitely doesn't mean it's easy to spend money. So I had a dilemma: get Jason something he would really enjoy or get something my budget would really enjoy (and Jason would enjoy, just not as much). That's when I got clever. I decided I would create a game for Jason and he'd have the opportunity to win one of three prizes. #3: Something the budget would like best. #2: Something in the middle. #1: Something Jason would like best. That way, I was taking a risk but there was also a chance I could get away with spending less. (I'm pretty sure everyone with a spouse like me feels so bad for Jason. Everyone who is a spouse like me understands the difficulty in my decision).

Here's how it worked. I had 15 pictures that he could pick from. Each had a number for one of the questions. Some pictures correlated with the picture, others didn't.
If he got four right, he got the smallest prize. If he got eight right, the middle prize. And if he got 12 right, he got the big prize. That allowed him 3 strikes and because I'm so nice, I made the questions pretty easy.
I had to give him a hint on his very first question and I got really nervous that he was actually going to have to settle for the small or middle prize. However, he only missed two questions and would've missed three without hints, so in the end, would've won anyway. I'm thinking no matter what he would've got prize #1, but I don't know, he's old enough to know life is full of hard knocks. :)

11 comments:

Kami Milliron said...

Very clever indeed !

Amy from Our Dish said...

That's SUCH a fun idea!!! Great that he got the "grand" prize and had to work for it. (Hopefully it alleviated a little of your guilt, too!)

Lindsay said...

What a fun game! You're so creative. What was the prize he ended up getting?

Jamie Wilkinson said...

I'm I completely dense, or did you forget to tell us his prize?

And I think that is a wonderful idea. I think I may have to steal it for next year. I have no original ideas.

mad white woman said...

He got his Pocket PC that he's sworn he's "needed" for the last year plus.

Kate said...

You are so funny! I hate spending money too. So what did he want so badly that was obviously expensive? Maybe I should make a game like that for John's birthday next month...

Kate said...

Oh nevermind. I just read the previous post. Men and electronics.

Lindsay said...

Ditto to the "men & electronics" comment!! Matt is looking at the iTouch.... *rolleyes*

I have the extra large basket in the bottom of my stroller to pile up books nice and high. Once I check them out, I put them into reusable plastic bags from Fresh & Easy to tote in and out of the car. :)

DeWitts said...

I love this idea! You are one clever girl!

Marie said...

Good idea! I should try that on Travis.

Cook Zoo said...

Cute! I love how you would've given him prize #1 anyway. :)