Friday, July 24, 2009

Flashback Friday: Runaway Tire

Okay, for this one, look past everything in the picture. Look beyond cute little Steven, Anna and Jake, pay no attention to the red jeep and admire the beautiful blue and white suburban in the background. Because that's what this story is all about. That was our family car for a long time and when I saw this picture, well, when I see any picture of this car, one very memorable story comes to mind.

Here's how the story goes... Once upon a time, we went to a family reunion. We were headed home and were somewhere between Yuma and San Diego, near El Centro. I was sitting in the very back and started seeing sparks off to the left. As we were trying to determine what was causing the sparks, we noticed the back tire bouncing past our car. Yup, our tire fell off and bounced past us, crossed the freeway and landed in a field.

Unfortunately, tires fall off if the lug nuts aren't tightened.

Fortunately, there were no oncoming cars when the tire crossed the road.

Unfortunately, we were in the middle of nowhere.

Fortunately, we were pulling a trailer so the car didn't flip.
Unfortunately, it was before 99% of the population 7 years and older had cell phones, so my dad had to hitch a ride to a Call Box to get help (I think that's how it worked).

Fortunately, Ryan was around to entertain us by catching a kangaroo rat. And then he let it bite him.

Unfortunately, it was the middle of the summer and sitting on the side of the road waiting for help was HOT.

Fortunately, my cousins lived in Yuma AND they had a car big enough to transport the whole family.

I don't remember all the details about this experience, but I can tell you we still laugh about it all the time. It's not every day a tire falls off of the car you're in. :)

7 comments:

Kathryn said...

I knew a squirrel bit Ryan, but I didn't know about the kangaroo rat (I don't think).

The kangaroo rat explains a lot.

Kami Milliron said...

Yup, that normally doesn't happen. But what you don't see everyday is your tire flying past you on the road. That's pretty funny : ) And of all places to be stuck - Yuma.

Ryan said...

I've been ruthlessly attacked by an amazingly wide array of small fur bearing mammals.

Melanie said...

I REMEMBER your suburban. It's what defined Suburban for me. Is that Suzie's Jeep? Because I have a vivid memory of her sitting in her red Jeep in a garage.

=)

Cook Zoo said...

LOL. I can just see that tire bouncing past!

Julie said...

That's a great story! What's a road trip without SOMETHING happening!

Jamie Wilkinson said...

Haha. Those stories are always fun to tell years later, but never as much fun to live through. Someday I'll tell you about the hiking fiasco where all seven of us ended up camping out in a two-man tent with only one sleeping bag in the middle of winter. Great fun.