Friday, July 17, 2009

Flashback Friday: Moving

I remember this day pretty clearly. We went to Ben and Jerry's and then Nikki's mom took some pictures of us. I had gone back to visit Nikki and SaLeah in California while my family was moving from Snowflake to Mesa. I left from my house in Snowflake and returned to our house* in Mesa. Looking back, spending time with two of my closest friends that I had to move away from four years prior to this move was probably a good thing. I was reminded that long-distance friendships do last. We still keep in touch and every time we get together, it's just like old times... only with a few more kids. I sure have lots of wonderful memories with these two.
Moving is not easy, but life just wouldn't be complete without all my best friends from everywhere I've lived. One day I was talking with my mom about moving. She, like any parent would, was wondering the extent that moving effected our lives. I told her I think it was good I went through some major moves growing up because it helped me build character and increase my confidence. She said, "Um, I don't think you've ever lacked confidence." Okay, kind of true, but since my confidence only seems to wane as I get older, at least I can appreciate moving for character.

*When we moved to Mesa, we couldn't move into our home right away so we bunked up in an apartment. 3 adults, 6 kids. Thank goodness it was only three weeks or so.

5 comments:

Vagabond Mother said...

Maybe I'd have an easier time now if I moved more when I was younger. :)

We stopped moving around third grade, and then is was smooth sailing until college. Now I try to move every three to six months, because, why not?

Brenden+Nikki said...

Your hair is so blond! But you still look the same. :) Just more sophisticated.

Rachel+Co said...

look how cute you were! i wonder about all that moving, too. mostly, i think i developed empathy for feeling like an outsider. highly recommended.

and i think you would look adorable with some highlights in your hair...

Jamie Wilkinson said...

I actually remember your first day in 30th ward. I was still relatively new, I think. But you looked just like that.

Cook Zoo said...

Anna, thank you for giving me another opportunity to say how much I hated moving when I was younger. Any chance to complain... ;)

It's good that you learned to be outgoing as a result. Seems like I just got more and more shy.