I've often thought about the blessings that have come from choosing to study accounting. It seems I was being prepared for our current situation without even realizing what was happening. When making education and career decisions, I had no idea what life would be like for us now. I never would've imagined things to be the way they are. But had I known, I probably would've made no changes in my education or career path. Occasionally, however, I hate everything about accounting. Like today after I spent almost an hour on the phone with the IRS discussing an issue that I've been dealing with since LAST July. That's right, one full year. I have gotten two letters in the last five months stating they haven't had time to solve the problem. That's nice because I'm pretty sure they give people about 10 days to respond to the notices they send you and all the while they charge plenty of interest and penalties.
Now onto conspiracies. I buy into conspiracies about as frequently as I get annoyed with life as an accountant: almost never. HOWEVER, I am convinced the IRS and the post office have some lame agreement. The post office just accidentally doesn't deliver stuff to the IRS unless it's sent with the extra services. Basically, you can't guarantee anything is going to get where or when you want it to unless you pay for insurance, certified and return receipt. The IRS agent I talked to this morning kept asking me if I sent things certified with a return receipt and told me I should always do that. Shouldn't me paying postage be enough to ensure my stuff will be handled with care and delivered in a timely manner? Maybe I'll change my pricing structure for my clients. I'll start charging my hourly consulting rate and then I'll charge extra if they want a guarantee that I will comply with the laws.
Or maybe I'll just work for the government.
Monday, June 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

12 comments:
This might be the last thing you want to hear, but I also got a letter from the IRS today about my taxes, saying I owe them an extra $65. Seriously? I think they're out to get you.
And the post office is a total joke. In fact, everything run by the government is a joke... uh oh, our future isn't looking so great.
The second to last line on this post is awesome! Thewhole post was awesome but that line summed it all up with a nice splash of humor. You're awesome Anna and I really hope well be able to chat soon!!! Miss you.
Amen sister. Just wait till they run our healthcare. Hoorah!
lol...loved your bit about conspiracies...working for the gov. might not be a bad idea!
Have you guys sold your Utah house? :)
anna, you funny, disgruntled accountant. there is something un-fun about every job. you just make that part seem so funny.
sorry you're frustrated.
the irs, though slow, usually is quite fair about resolving those pesky interest and penalty fees.
Anna you seem to sum up most feelings all of us struggle with so eloquently!
Thanks for the post... and yes they are out to get all of us.
Amen Sista! Okay, I'm totally not cool enough to pull that saying off, but oh well.
I always think about this! I always think about how slow, inefficient and frustrating the post office is and then wonder how people could be excited for more government businesses in their lives!
The post office is a joke. End of story. :) Also, I took Dalon out of swim lessons... long story, so we don't need a trade off anymore. Thanks for the offer. We still need to do friday night trade offs for dates though. How long have we been talking about this, a year now? And we haven't done it once yet! Ha ha! Maybe we should both work for the post office. We'd fit right in. ;)
I'm sorry but i have a soft spot for post office workers:)
Oh Anna you crack me up. I hope i didn't make you feel guilty just because i'm married to pretty hot mail man. hehe! I love it when you rant and rave about things even when its about the post office. Your post made me laugh. Theres a couple of people at my post office i have a hard time working with but i just have to remember their job isn't easy.
I think the Motor Vehicle Department is in there with the IRS and post office. I went through a nightmare with them just because I switched car insurance. Something slipped through the cracks and to fix it we involved about 11 people instead of 2. Whatever.
Post a Comment