I have been dreading another post. It's hard to compete with such a lovely picture. How could I possibly have something more exciting than that to blog about? I don't. But don't worry, exciting or not, I have had something on my mind.
Angela decided not to eat sugar for two months. I lied and said I'd try to do it with her. Never did I intend on committing to such an awful thing. Sugar keeps me ALIVE. Last month I have at least four pictures of Clara licking beaters from making treats.
But then that thought ran into another random thought in my brain...
A while ago I read a book by Steven W. Allen called Founding Fathers Uncommon Heroes. The first man discussed is Benjamin Franklin and one of the most fascinating things I remember reading about him was his desire to be morally perfect. He picked 13 virtues (which, by the way, are all fantastic) and made charts in a notebook he carried around and put a little black dot by the virtues he wasn't perfect in for that day. I've thought about this a lot in the years since I've read the book (it's been at least 6, I believe), always amazed at this lofty goal.
While I don't think I'm quite ready to commit to being perfect in 13 virtuous areas, especially all at once, I've decided I do need to work on self mastery. So every month, I'm going to have a new "thing" that I will strive to be perfect in. For one month, I will, for the first time in my life, go on a sugar-free diet. I'm kind of having a panic attack thinking about it, but it will just be for a month (a month I'm trying to strategically pick that will have less temptations... :)). Other "things" I've considered: no eating out, exercising 6 days a week, not going to bed with dirty dishes in the kitchen, going to bed before Midnight every night, etc. My goal isn't to stay perfect after the trial month, but rather to develop better habits. So instead of going to bed six nights a week with dirty dishes in the kitchen (like now), maybe someday I will go to bed six nights a week with NO dirty dishes in the kitchen.
So, wish me luck and please give me some ideas of "things" I could pick to do each month.
Monday, May 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

15 comments:
I really like how you are so direct and detailed about new goals and change. Please update us on how your month goes!!!
Right now I'm in survival mode, but soon, I'll be mimicking your every move. Don't worry, you won't see me around so it won't be creepy. Except for the glamor shot.
Hmmmm . . . one of your goals could be to come visit your neighbor more often.
No sugar! AAAAAHHHH!! I know you can do it. Just let me know when you're starting that one so that I don't bring you any treats.
YAY! This is cool---I'm excited for you. You might just inspire me!
One thing I set out to do every day for a month is make our bed---I HATE to do it, but we have lovely bedding, and it seems such a waste if it's not made. Sometimes I don't do it until RIGHT before Kyle gets home, but I've done it (though now I'm out of town). They say it takes 30 days of consistency to build a habit, so it sounds like you're on the right track.
Anna - your post has so eloquently put into words the thoughts that have been running through my mind for the past month.
I am inspired by your attempt to make changes in your life one month at a time and feel I am up for the challenge in my life to turn my thoughts into action!
Good luck to you on your goals!
Whoa. Benjamin Franklin is way too good for me. I like your more practical approach MUCH better! I've never gone sugar free, but I've had to periodically go off chocolate cuz I tend to get addicted. It feels really good to be free of it, so I'm excited for you. I know you can do it. You're awesome Anna!
You are still the crazy Anna! Good luck! I think you will do great. And about bills pond, bill is a friend of my dads but if you are ever in town i can take you fishing there. Clara would love it.
I hope you just mean sugar as in refined sugar treats, and not natural sugars in fruits and stuff. I've done a "no treats" month and I periodically put myself on candy block (I rarely bake goodies, so that isn't the problem for me). It was kind of hard at first but got much easier after about a week. I stopped thinking about it so much.
This is a good idea though.
Just take the dirty dishes out of the kitchen. Talk about VIOLA!
I'm with Janae. Please keep us updated! I thought I might give up sugar...kinda...but then I decided not to think about it anymore.
I'm in the process of finishing up a box of sees chocolates. YUM.
Good luck and let me know how it goes. Maybe I will join you. I said maybe : )
It was fun seeing you at the Baby Shower tonight. Clara is just as cute in person as she is on the Blog. She reminds me so much of Douglas. It's funny how much they have in common !
how about coming to hang out more:) its been too long!!
Anna! Welcome to the world of no sugar (sweets)! You can do it. I've been doing it for a month and a week and it is very hard, but I feel like I have a lot more energy. Good luck. e-mail me or call me if you are tempted and need support and you won't have to do it alone. :)
Good luck to you:) Marie & I decided at church that sugar helps us have enough energy to keep up with our kids:) So, until I am not running around after kids, I don't think I can go without:) But I will cheer you on! Go Anna!!
Woah, no sugar? YES!!!!! Now I won't be the only one who has to say no to homemade delicious-looking chocolate cake at Sunday family dinners :)
I feel like 67x better than I used to. Sugar sucks... you get over it. I might make a life change - after my two months is over, I'm thinking maybe I'll only do one treat per week.
You are such a good person, anna. I'm sure you'll accomplish all your goals.
Being 37 weeks pregnant is no time for me to EVEN contemplate giving up sugar in any form!! Not even after the baby comes, b/c sweet sugary treats might be my only form of sanity for quite awhile too! ;) Thank you for offering to make me a chocolate cake. :) I'm sure it would be the BEST! I wouldn't mind a batch of your homemade sugar cookies either! I shouldn't have thought about those.... now my mouth is watering for their sugary softness melting in my mouth!!!
Can you believe I'm about to give birth to another kid in just a FEW WEEKS!!!??? WHAT??!!! I'm gonna have TWO KIDS!!!!
Oh and I'll be back tomorrow for "Flashback Friday"... Rock on!!!!!
Post a Comment