Saturday, May 30, 2009

Extreme Weather

Apparently our decision to go camping on Memorial Day Weekend encourages Mother Nature to bring on the extreme weather. Last year, we attempted a camping trip at Big Lake and got stuck in the snow (yeah, almost June and stuck in the snow). This year, the rain almost kept us from our camping trip at Bear Canyon Lake.

Jason, James and Clara went up Friday morning to set up our tents. Jason's friend Dan later joined them. After work, my mom, Lily, Lily's friend and I drove up. I was extremely surprised that there was absolutely no traffic driving into or out of Payson. It was, however, about half-way up the Rim that we entered some extreme fog. We could see about 10 feet in front of us, if we were lucky, so seeing the signs was impossible, not to mention reading them. We missed our turn, but figured it out pretty quickly. After turning around, we turned down the wrong road (seriously, you couldn't see a thing), but soon realized that was the wrong one too. Fortunately, the third time was the charm. Unfortunately, the fog was still there. I took over the driving and had to keep my eyes glued on the five or so feet of the center line that I could see to avoid driving off the road. It was actually a pretty exciting little adventure and we just laughed and laughed the whole way. I especially laughed when my mom told me to slow down because I was bruising her avocados. Maybe we'd just been in the car too long, but it was funny. That night it was so wet that even after a roll of paper towels and a whole bottle of lighter fluid, we didn't get a fire going. The next day it rained about half the day, off and on, but we still hiked down to the lake to visit the fisherman. When a thunderstorm started heading in, we decided to hike back to camp. I was holding Clara's hand and a huge pile of wood while trying to hike up this mountain. Once it started to rain, Dan took the wood and I took his tackle box so we could walk faster. It started raining harder but no lightening and thunder until about five feet from camp, there was a super bright light (for a split second I was so confused wondering who was taking a picture of me) and then a LOUD, startling crash of thunder. It scared all of us. Clara burst into tears because she had no clue what happened. We sat in the car for a bit while the storm calmed.
On Sunday we went walking and exploring. James caught a cute little baby horny toad. Clara patted Jason's "grass" on his face. I ate about 15 servings of Boston Baked Beans. Seriously. I'd grab a handful, pop it all in my mouth and enjoy. Then I read the back: eleven, ELEVEN pieces make up one serving. I laughed; for me, that was literally ONE bite. Overall, the weather was beautiful. It hardly rained at all and that night, we had a fantastic fire. Dan cooked our steaks on the fire for dinner and then after staying up late talking, we shut off all the lights and just stared at the starry sky. We all agreed that stars alone are promise there is a Supreme Being.
Clara's pretty little camping manicure.
On Monday, Clara and I slept in... it was at least 8:30 before we got up, which is sleeping in any day, but especially while camping. After breakfast, we left to hike to the lake, only to find the fishermen on their way back hoping to avoid anymore rain. I was bummed we only got down to the lake once, but I'm over it. The traffic into Payson was a bit of a pain, but the fact that it started hailing made me forget about it. Oh, and Clara "makin' my funny face".
At my parent's house I sat in their front yard for a bit watching the flag wave around. I am grateful for those who have fought and those who do fight for our Country. We are so blessed.
My top ten favorite things about camping: 1. the blue, blue sky and the white, white clouds 2. the STARS! (oh my, the STARS!) 3. the crisp, clean smell of mountain air 4. NO cell phones or internet, which means it's the only time I feel completely relaxed 5. campfires 6. no need for hairspray (on the 3rd day of no shower, the grease holds your hair in place better than any hairspray) 7. no concept of time... 8. afternoon naps 9. visiting and eating for a good portion of the day and 10. realizing how little you need to survive and to enjoy life
And me least favorite thing about camping? My house gets sick and throws up when we get home. Since I've been busy working and playing with Clara, it's taking a long time to clean it all up. Good thing there are ten favorites and only one least favorite...

10 comments:

Julie said...

Julie+camping+rain=packing up and heading home.

I admire you for being able to make a 10 favorites list after camping in the rain. But I will say I REALLY love campfires too.

Cook Zoo said...

I loved your list of favorites! It makes me want to go camping soon!

I'm very impressed that you not only own rain coats but remembered to bring them! I'm glad things dried out for you later. :)

Kate said...

How fun! I Looooove camping. We haven't had the chance to go yet this year, but reading your post makes me super excited. I actually LOVE camping when it rains. I know it gets things dirty and muddy and hard to start camp fires, but I love the sound of rain hitting the tent, and playing games inside with the family. Sigh. I can't wait.

Kami Milliron said...

Sounds like you had quite the adventure ! I love camping and seeing the stars as I fall asleep. Night time is gorgeous when you're in the mountains.

I remember driving to Colorado with my Husband before Douglas was born. We had to drive up this huge, windy mountain that was covered in fog. It was so scary !

Your little darling is SO cute !

angela hardison said...

Of course mom was worried about bruising the avocados.

Wish I could have joined you!

Rachel said...

I'm happy you got some sunshine because up at Big Lake we got notta! We were in the traffic in Payson too but I feel like Payson traffic is better then Globe traffic.

Lindsay said...

Anna - it looks like you guys had a great time. I cannot get over how cute Clara is!

As for the provident living stuff... here is my email: lindsay_hudson@msn.com I would love to get your two cents. :)

David and Jana said...

I'm so glad it turned out ok and you really had fun. Clara is getting so big! I love the pictures!

Brandon and Camille Smithson said...

I love camping... and it seems everytime we camp, it rains. But I'll take the rain over the scorching heat any time. :o)

I love all the pictures! Clara is such a fun little girl! And I love that she is sporting a "real girls" manicure!

Jamie Wilkinson said...

mmmm...Boston Baked Beans. I haven't had those candies since I was a young'un. I love that picture of the dandelion with everyone blury in background.

I love camping. I'm decidedly jealous