Thursday, May 14, 2009

Be Prepared

Now that I've thrown a successful pity party for myself, I guess I'm ready to post something else. Seriously, thanks for not hating me for complaining.

I have lots of opinions. Surprise! Okay, not really a surprise to anyone who knows me. Lately, I've been thinking a lot about preparedness... physical preparedness.

Food Storage

I had to laugh when a lady I work with found out I was Mormon and her first question to me involved food storage. Not about Temples, not about polygamy, not about any of the things most LDS people are frequently questioned over, but food storage. Growing up, we always had a food storage. When my dad lost his job, I watched my mom creatively feed our family, and anyone who happened to be at our house, stuff she'd prepared almost completely (if not completely) from our food storage. I knew our basic needs would be met because my mother had taken the time to prepare. This experience helped me realize we might not ever use our food storage in the event of a major catastrophe, but that's not the only time you might need it.

Fast forward to life now. Not long ago, we had very little money (as in almost none) for groceries. Between my favorite spec home depleting our savings, one of our FIXED RATE mortgages increasing nearly $300 a month and Jason's income being cut 40%, we had a few pretty tough months. However, I knew that we would be able to provide for one of our most basic physical needs. I knew we would be able to put food on the table. I certainly didn't have a year supply of food, but I had a reserve because I'd bought a little here and there when things weren't so exciting. Furthermore, we weren't starved for nutrients. We still had lots of fruits and vegetables and plenty of grains. The fruits and vegetables weren't fresh, but frozen and canned is better than none at all. There were many days I felt so grateful that I had my food storage. My stomach was very grateful too.

Financially

You might find it laughable that I'm offering my financial opinion considering the predicament we're currently in. But, I'm still going to do it. Another thing I learned growing up is the importance of avoiding debt. Building a spec home was to be an investment (which is how I justified the debt) and with the information I had, I never thought I'd still own that property three years later. At the time we chose to do it, the only debt we had was the mortgage on our house here. Our cars were paid off, we had no credit card balances and no student loans. Because of this, we were able to cut our expenses quite a bit, which allowed us the ability to continue making the mortgage payment. If we had other debt obligations, that might not have been the case and I was often grateful we had avoided debt minus two mortgages... Kind of ironic, I know, maybe hypocritical, but hopefully you get my point.

The counsel we always hear in the church to avoid debt, have a financial reserve and have a food storage seems common sense to me. Through various experiences, my testimony of the importance of following this counsel has been strengthened. But on top of that, it really just seems like a no-brainer. What's funny is I've been hearing people on TV and the radio talk about how we should be storing a little extra food and money. Maybe we'll never need to use the reserves, but the peace of mind it gives us is worth a lot. (Trust me, it's much easier to put on your happy face for a little one when you know they have plenty of food to eat). And if you ever do have to rely on your reserves, you will be very, very grateful you have it.
Don't everyone come rob me at once, now.

7 comments:

Kami Milliron said...

Hey Anna, can I borrow $340 ; ) I totally agree with what you're saying. We do need to be prepared. We had about 3 months worth of savings in our savings account before Elizabeth passed away. Because of that money, we were able to pay for everything to bury her ( including the headstone ) and we were able to pay off some medical bills. Even though all of that wiped out what we had saved, it was there where we needed it. Now the new test begins - growing our savings again !

Rachel said...

Very wise. I've learned to love me some pinto beans. Blasted student loans. :)

DeWitts said...

I know i need to be more prepared. I'm always amazed at how much you spend a week on shopping for food.

Kate said...

I'm sorry to hear about your Utah house. :( I was so excited for you. I hear you though - I've always been big on financial reserve, and the last year or so I've been way into food storage. Very important!

Cook Zoo said...

Girl, I'll take financial advice from you any day. You rock Anna.

Julie said...

This has been so heavily on my mind lately. I'm sure everyone's actually. But lately Ryan and I have had so many talks about this. He went to a special stake welfare meeting on Tuesday. When he walked through the door he first said, "I want to tell you all the things we talked about." Now he's really studying the welfare principles of the church. His big thing is "Why are we exempt from what the prophet's counsel?" Its really easy to think they are talking to someone else. . . someone with less income, someone with less equity, someone older, someone younger. I've been so impressed lately to take their counsel so LITERALLY, since its really for ME. Okay, that was a long thought. . . thanks for sharing yours.

sheri rog said...

wonderful, anna!