It seemed the TV was always on during the hour between finishing dinner and Clara's bedtime so we were never spending time as a family (in my book, sitting in front of the TV isn't spending time together). After Clara went to bed, Jason would either go to work, do the dishes, play basketball or watch TV before bed so we were never spending time as a couple. On the weekends, we were always so busy running around to various functions, parties, etc., that we never spent time then either.
After talking to Jason , he agreed to leave the TV off, so after dinner, we get to spend quality time as a family. It's only an hour or so, but it's an hour more we didn't utilize previously. This doesn't happen every night, because there are still meetings and other evening commitments (like the Diamondback's game...), but it's a good general rule. After Clara goes to bed, Jason and I do the dishes, clean or just sit and visit for a little bit.
It has only been a week, but it has definitely made a big difference to me. We got our closet straightened up, the dishes are usually done and I feel like we are spending more quality time together as a couple and a family.
I don't feel like we're too busy. But now that we don't have quantity of time working in our favor, we have to focus in on the quality.

10 comments:
Hmmm... how did you get Jason to do the dishes?
WAY cute family picture!! I love it!!
Amen. I don't know why I always thinking giving up TV, or specific shows even, is such a hard thing. Because once I do it I realize its really no big deal and, of course, its always better. Way to make a plan and stick with it.
Wish I could turn the TV off over here every now and then. It seems to be on from the time we wake up (cartoons) until we go to bed...
Sounds like you guys have a great routine. :)
I love the picture too!
I have a love/hate relationship with the TV. Love the family pic.
Love the picture!
Love this post.
We started realizing we had an issue a few months ago and have been getting better & better at breaking the habit of eating dinner in front of the t.v. We now try and sit together at the dinner table & talk more.
Way to go!
Excellent Anna. I just had a very similar convo with Matt about this very topic yesterday. As soon as the kids are in bed, the tv goes on and is on for hours and hours. I think we could all be more productive and spend more time with our families if the tv weren't around to distract us. I'll be the first to admit, I'm not ready to give it up completely, yet, but I suppose I could do without what little I do watch.
We do bed right after dinner, for the most part. I just can't help it. I sit at the table and stare at my messy, loud boys and I give up. Then, they get "quality" time together in their room. It is only fair.
Great suggestions. I need to work on that myself, it seems our quantity and quality is totally out of whack depending on the week.
Post a Comment