My plan: get there early to save close seats, sit on the grass so Clara can run around and then hope Clara would be okay to watch most of the Pageant without having to run around.
My plan worked better than I imagined. We got great seats, ate dinner on the grass and just enjoyed the beautiful weather. Clara loved waving to the Pageant people walking around and loved obeying me in her usual manner. {Clara, don't go under the rope or you have to sit on the blanket with me... she stared and concentrated trying to figure out how she could get past the rope without disobeying... and ended up walking all the way around the rope to run down the hill into the chairs.}
We did have a few added bonuses: finding Aunt Angela (who miraculously became a camel - good thing she was wearing brown),
"mean people Jesus" - The mean people hurt Jesus.
"horsey eat grass" - The horsey was eating grass.
"knock Jesus" - The mean people hammered nails into Jesus (she heard the pounding and apparently it sounded like knocking).
"Jesus gone" - Jesus was gone from the tomb.
I experienced the Pageant in a whole new way this year. I usually enjoy it, but I rarely allow myself to be moved by the Spirit like I did last year. Over the last several months, I've been trying to become more familiar with our Savior so that I could draw closer. His life, His teachings and His example. As I've done this, I've noticed discussions, scriptures, quotes, talks, etc. that speak of Christ find their way to a very tender place in my heart.


20 comments:
so wonderful, anna. great insights!
we're going tonight, so i'll go into it with a few pointers from you. thanks!
So how early did you get there? We're going tomorrow night and I'm trying to figure out how early is early enough.
Sounds like a fantastic time.
What a special experience: To see the pageant through the eyes of a child. I love Clara's little phrases. Those are some of the things that I look forward to the most when little Collin is here. I love your blog Anna.
And have you ever read "All These Things Shall Give Thee Experience" by Elder Maxwell? I'm reading it right now...it's a quick read but totally helps me see how to be more like the Savior. I think you'd like it (if you haven't already read it).
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and your sweet experience with Clara.
Now I feel like a shmuck for not planning on going. . . Its a bummer it starts so late!
It was sorta adorable how devastated Clara seemed during the Crucifixion part.
Glad you guys found me too. And that Clara thinks I'm a camel.
I love the tramp picture. We have a couple like that only my girls have half the strands of hair. And we did the pageant last night and loved it. Thanks to the in-laws going WAY early and got us front and center on the second row from the stage while we picked up cafe rio. Couldn't have been better. Unless we would have ran into you guys of corse. but hope to see you soon
Wow I can't believe Clara sat for the whole thing, and she caught all that stuff about Christ. That's really good. I've never taken Dalon and Ethan to the Pageant. I'm 99% sure they will just want to run around. I guess I don't know for sure until I take them.... someday.
Ha ha no I have plenty of inadequacies I promise! I'll list them out for you sometime. And I think YOU'RE a wonderful writer. I also think you have a great sense of humor, you're a great sister and mom and wife, you're VERY smart ( no way could I ever be an accountant) and you are willing to learn from your trials. I also think you have great spiritual viewpoints and you're an awesome and creative cook on a budget. AND you're a great friend who always comments on my blog and makes me feel great! ;)
We are going tomorrow night with the boys, it should be entertaining and hopefully, maybe spiritual.
I haven't been for years, I'm pretty excited.
Thanks for the pointers and for sharing. I've been thinking about how Clara has the best name in the world. She's a lucky girl.
Great post Anna. You inspire me to want to be a better person. I love Clara's little phrases.
That's great that she did so well. No way would Douglas sit still for the entire thing. I would love to take him, but I think we need to tackle getting him to sit still during Sacrament first ! We are each up with him at least once during Sacrament. 3 year olds have a very small attention span !
Oh and I LOVE that picture with Clara on the trampoline. You gotta love static hair !
I'm so sad i'm going to miss the pageant this year. I'm so glad you got to enjoy it with clara!
I had a BLAST participating in the pageant a few years ago. I hope I move back to Mesa so I can do it again someday.
And I used to get SO MAD when my parents told be the goat I was petting was actually a sheep. Poor Clara.
I miss the Easter Pageant.
I made the scalloped potatoes last night. Delicious. I made the potato soup again last Saturday. I'm making it for the 3rd time tomorrow as well. This bag of potatoes I have has been going a long way! Thanks so much for the delicious recipes. Making the potato soup every weekend is becoming a tradition in our new home!
I haven't been to the pagent in such a long long time. I will have to try to take Melanie next year, and hopefully she will be as obedient as Clara. :o).
We didn't make it to the Easter Pageant this year. I'm so bummed. Good for you for making the effort. Glad it turned out better then expected.
Great tradition.
What is your e-mail address??
Cute! I feel the same way...dread the crowd, etc. but it is worth it. The last 2 years Bryn has LOVED it. I guess if you go with a plan it won't be that bad! :)
You just gave me hope for next year with Roman and Delaney. Can't wait. I love all of Clara's comments. Kids are awesome!
What a cutie pie Clara is. And I love the Clara-speak legend. I miss the Easter Pageant.
Post a Comment