Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Food

Meals
You'll notice I added a running list of meal ideas (to the right). Remember when I once posted the inexpensive meals we were eating each week? I did this in part to help me have a list of ideas, in case I couldn't think of anything for dinner... but guess how often I went looking through old posts? Never. So I am simplifying and just adding the main meal (for the most part). We eat whatever fruit/vegetable is on sale or what's in my pantry/freezer. I've noticed we're eating meat a little more. It's because before, I had little to spend at the grocery store, so I would mainly buy fresh produce and that's mainly what we'd eat. Now I'm going to the store a lot less and we're eating our food storage a lot more, which has meat (thanks to my extra freezer). If I start getting fat, you'll know why. Or maybe it's because people keep feeding us. How kind.

Dairy
To the cows across the Country: thank you for creating an abundance of dairy. When I went to Costco a few weeks ago, butter was $5.99/4 lbs ($7.78 previously), cheese was $9.99/5lbs ($12.75 previously... I'm not trying to rub this in anyone's face that might happen to live in Canada) and milk was comparable to the grocery stores (I normally get my milk on sale elsewhere). I'm not sure what has caused supply to spike (or demand to decrease) but I sure do appreciate it. Maybe they can't afford to run as many "three-a-day" dairy ads.

Honey Butter, Not Frosting
Tonight we had beans and cornbread. I actually love beans and cornbread, but only if I call it karnbread. To make sure others in the house enjoy it too, I always try to do something different with the cornbread (because there aren't a whole lot of ways to get creative with the other part of the meal). I try all different recipes. Anyway, last time I made muffins, I was expecting them to be sweet, which I like with my salty beans. They weren't. This time, I decided I'd make some honey butter to sweeten them up. I did just that, but added a little (1/2 tsp?) vanilla to my mixture (1/2 cup butter, 1/4 - 1/3 honey... I left out the cinnamon because of a cinnamon overdose on my glazed carrots last night) and goodness gracious, it was delicious. Don't believe me? Ask the dishes. Just kidding, ask Len why he said he wanted to use it for frosting on a cake.

10 comments:

Julie said...

Anna I have a really yummy cornbread recipe. I may have to try that butter on it. Oh man I'm craving that.

Camille said...

I read that bit about the cheese and I was like, "Seriously? She would do that to me on a day like this?"

But I'm happy for your good fortune. I really am.

And holy cow, you get way more inventive with your meals than I do. PK has squelched me of my confidence in the kitchen by putting bbq sauce on everything I cook, so now, I have some recipes I know he'll eat, and I just rotate through a small list of them.

I need to spice it up.

Cook Zoo said...

I've been thinking you need to post more of your frugal menus, so thank you!! :) I've been meaning to post some of my cost-cutting measures in the kitchen too.

I love the idea of having smoothies with dinner. Yum!

sheri rog said...

yeee-haaaaw! that kaaarn-bread sounds just yummy! (now go back & read that with a southern accent)

i know what we'll be having for supper tonight. (any problems with the bowls today, though?)

DeWitts said...

I will have to try your cornbread. Sounds yummy! Its funny you posted this because last week my hubby told me he loves cornbread and its hard to find things that josh likes. So thanks for the recipe, i will be making it!

Mike and Kari said...

Anna, this is Kari Waldie from high school. I don't know if you remember me, but I just thought I'd say hi! I ran across your blog a little while ago, and it has definitely become one of my favorites to stop by and read, and today I thought that instead of secretly blog stalking like always, I would leave a message. I like all of the thrifty dinner ideas you posted, they are really great. I am in a real dinner rut right now, so these will help. Thank you :)

The Blakes said...

I'll be using your meal column as a quick reference. I can never think of anything new (and cheap) to make.

Melanie said...

That's funny that you put it on your side bar on your blog... I didn't think of that. About 4 years into our marriage, I got tired of trying to think of what our possible meals were, and I made a Word file of them all. I keep it printed out & handy, and when we discover a new recipe we like, I add it. I love hearing that other people do the same thing. =)

sheri rog said...

i came back in to read my funny comment & realized i misspelled bowels.

i was humbled.

JLynn said...

I like to make turkey chili and cornbread for dinners often. Sometimes put the chili over baked potatoes. I'll try your honey butter next time. Sounds delish!