Thursday, February 19, 2009

Beauty Within

My good friend once told me that she thinks fruits and vegetables are beautiful. I probably made fun of her when she said something about it, but since then, I've paid more attention. Most really are beautiful (maybe not potatoes).

A few weeks ago I bought a box of oranges from my favorite little orange stand. They were the "seconds" so they were super cheap and pretty ugly.
But inside, every one was full of pure beauty: delicious taste, lovely smell and pretty looks. Oh, they were tasty! Just as tasty as the ones in the mysterious bag left on our porch several weeks ago. We've been eating a lot of oranges, but we just couldn't get through the 20 pound box, so I decided to juice the rest of them and some other citrus I have been given (thanks citrus donors :)).

Even the juice is pretty.
I've realized this is something else I'd miss terribly if I ever had to move from Arizona: the delicious fresh citrus that is so plentiful.

PS This was the only one that wasn't exactly beautiful. Especially not when a little two year old finger poked through it. Apparently I'm really good at growing mold. You might want to think twice before you come to my house.
PPS Dear person that put a bag of oranges on my doorstep several weeks ago: We loved them. I thought it was someone in my family, but they say no. Maybe they're lying. Anyway, thanks for your thoughtful generosity.

10 comments:

Camille said...

Oh, how I miss my citrus. Dearly.

Jamie Wilkinson said...

I agree, you would miss citrus if you moved. My parents have a mini orchard in their backyard and I miss going out and picking as many as I wanted whenever I wanted during the winter.

angela hardison said...

I was going to say how pretty this post was (I think fruit is really beautiful too. Raspberries? Amazing!)...


And then I saw that last picture. GROSS!

Unknown said...

yum! That looks so good. I love fresh limeade (or any citrus). I crave it all the time.
p.s. your valentine post cracked me up....I think men (well most men) just aren't good at it! ha!

JLynn said...

I really liked this post.... I love food posts of any kind. Citrus fruit is very appealing and very beautiful to me. I love citrus print fabrics and blankets and such as well. Very cute. I even thought the moldy citrus looked pretty cool. I've ALWAYS missed the smell of the orange blossoms during the springtime ever since I moved away. Sigh.

mommy said...

Maybe it's attracted to accountants. My family has an ongoing joke that I am the moldy bread person, because EVERY time there was moldy bread I was the one to start eating a piece and notice that the loaf had gone bad (sometimes not until I'd eaten a few bites wondering why it tasted so weird). Or maybe we're really the same person.

Brandon and Camille Smithson said...

I agree... oranges are beautiful... and smell divine too. I love the smell of citrus! :o)

Cook Zoo said...

Your photography is beautiful too. You have a good eye for beauty.

Julie said...

I guess its true. . . there's always a bad one in the bunch.

P.S. You're welcome. I wasn't trying to be anonymous but you weren't home and I had nothing to say who it was from. Then I forgot to mention it to you. Glad you liked them.

The Gotzingers said...

Just outta curiosity... whats your favorite lil fruit stand?? :o)