Tuesday, November 18, 2008

1 & 2: Utah, rental cars, antiques, domestication, lame visitors & dinner

Last Thursday night, Angela, Clara and I flew to Utah. Luckily, the flight was not full so Clara had her own seat. She was climbing all over everything like a little monkey. Standing on top of the tray table, up the back of the seat, sitting on the tray table, looking out the window, climbing on Angela, etc., etc. I was grateful there were people behind and in front of us that seemed to think her little hand poking between the seats or her face smashed in the crack was cute. Once there, we had to lug our junk so far I knew I'd be sore the next day. I had my roller suitcase, Clara riding on top, my purse and my backpack. Angela had her purse, her roller suitcase and Clara's suitcase. We must've been quite the sight.
After talking to Rachel earlier that day, I decided carrying Clara's seat would be worth saving $45. So I changed the reservation. At the rental car counter, they tried charging me the other price and said that's what the rate was without the seat. Long story short, I had printed the new confirmation number and got the good rate... I reassured the employees stuff like that happens to me all the time so not to worry about it (all three employees were trying to figure out what had happened). They also tried to get me to pay more for an SUV. I declined. But apparently they were out of cars, so we got a small SUV anyway (Murano). My Civic is almost nine years old, so the technology in automobiles gets me every now and then. I couldn't figure out how to start the car... I was pushing the START/STOP button, it was saying brake, the e-brake wasn't on... and then Angela remembered you have to press the brake while you push the button. Wewsh, I might have had to ask the employees how to start the car if she wasn't there!

We arrived at Rachel's, shortly after our plane came in (getting our luggage and everything went so quickly). I was so excited to be there. Clara was exhausted and was up until Midnight. Rachel, Don and I were up until after 3am, I think. I kind of thought that would happen... we like to visit. I'm not the only one in the family that likes to talk. :) Laughing and reminiscing. Lovely.

Friday we went to a couple of antique stores. Angela whipped her camera out (yes, even before I did) at one that is run out of an old flour mill building. The owner said they charge $15 to take pictures of the building.
Are you joking? You wonder. Yeah, Rachel wondered too and asked the guy. But no joke. The rest of the weekend, we kept joking about taking pictures from the street, since he wouldn't be able to stop us, but we didn't. Maybe next time.

Then Rachel showed Angela how to make bread. Okay, so I wanted to know her secrets too because my bread never turns out like her's. Now it will. I'm determined and I've got the secrets. Domestication in progress...
And then we had a visitor bearing bad news. The timing was ironic, since I was in town. Ugh. Seriously, UGH. Just when you think you've got a semi-grip on a never-ending trial and you think nothing else could possible go wrong. Perhaps that was the problem, thinking something so foolish. Sorry I'm vague, maybe when I get over it, I'll laugh about it.

We decided to go out to dinner, just Angela, Rachel and I. While out, I realized that I was glad I was with them to help me forget the visitor from earlier. He didn't stop us from having a wonderful time visiting and eating wonderful food. Mmmm, it was the best dining experience in a long time. We ate at Pizzeria 712 and if you are ever in the Orem area (or close), it's totally worth it. We shared a pizza, salad and dessert. Every last thing was absolutely delicious. I would've taken a picture, but the food was devoured rather quickly. Here's the remnants of our dessert. The price wasn't all that bad either. The service was great too, which seems to be a little hit and miss these days, so it was refreshing. Oh how I love sisters.

3 comments:

angela hardison said...

I'm so glad you captured my domestication in progress. Just wait a few years and it will be in full bloom.



(probably never quite like you or Rachel, but I can dream).

I AM JOE PESCI said...

I have nothing to say - I just want to write this to acknowledge that I read this post . . . oh, and that I think you're awesome.

Cook Zoo said...

Now are these bread secrets really secrets? Because I'd LOVE to know your bread secrets! :)