Today Jason turned 30. Holy cow. That's old. I still feel like I'm 19 or 20, so it seems weird that my husband is 30. Long, long ago, I determined what I would do to celebrate this day. Then I found out how much it'd cost. So I moved on. Plan B: have a big surprise party for him. But then I remembered Jason doesn't like people and hates being social, so clearly he wouldn't enjoy such a thing. Plan C: rent a boat for him to go fishing (he claims he can't catch fish without a boat... kind of like he can't be a Scout leader without a truck). The cost to rent a boat is only about 1/3 of what you could buy one for, so that wasn't going to work either. Plan D: go up to Sedona for a weekend so Jason could mountain bike. I figured this one would be too expensive and if we couldn't get someone to go with us, I didn't want to sit by myself and I'm sure Jason didn't want to ride alone (I probably wouldn't let him anyway). Nothing was working out, but 30 is a big birthday.
At the eleventh hour, I came up with Plan E. Since my favorite way to celebrate Jason's big day would have been his least favorite, I decided his 30th birthday could be a day of his favorite things.
"My Favorite Things" (Jason style)
Eating at Barro’s and going out fishing.
Watching a movie and then mountain biking.
Golfing while wishing I had some new Pings.
These are a few of my favorite things.
Dots by the boxes and sunflower seeds.
Fun games of basketball satisfies needs.
Drinking up soda until my head sings;
These are a few of my favorite things.
When the work’s long.
When the alarm rings.
When I don’t feel too bold.
I simply remember my favorite things
And then I don’t feel so old!
Watching a movie and then mountain biking.
Golfing while wishing I had some new Pings.
These are a few of my favorite things.
Dots by the boxes and sunflower seeds.
Fun games of basketball satisfies needs.
Drinking up soda until my head sings;
These are a few of my favorite things.
When the work’s long.
When the alarm rings.
When I don’t feel too bold.
I simply remember my favorite things
And then I don’t feel so old!
To help him remember the words, he got coupons for Barro's, lures, a movie, a bike rack*, golf tees, Dots, sunflower seeds, a basketball hoop** and a liter of soda.
* He actually gets his choice. Bike rack or basketball.
** A few weeks ago, we played basketball with the Scouts. Kim brought over the hoop and I was saying how funny it'd be to leave it in our driveway to trick Jason into thinking it was for him. He'd love to have a basketball hoop handy. Long story short, Kim said we could have it because it was left by the people they bought the home from and they were planning on taking it to DI. When Jason got home, I told him it was an early birthday present. He didn't believe me. And it didn't help that he recognized it, knew it was in Kim's and knew it had been left by the previous owner. I never noticed it, so obviously the details I focus on are completely different than Jason's.
So how has Jason's day been so far? Clara and I went and met him for lunch.
When I asked what time he'd be home, he said Midnight. Then he said, well, hopefully 9 or 10pm. Well, I called him at 11pm and he said he'd leave at 11:30pm. He got home just before Midnight. No birthday dinner and no cake. He opened presents though and I serenaded him with my beautiful song above. I laughed so hard I cried. This is the present Clara wrapped.



9 comments:
lol! I love the present Clara wrapped. Priceless. :) Happy Bday to Jason. 30. Wow. He's older than John - I never knew that.
Happy Birthday Old Man. (I'm actually crying a little inside cuz I'm older than he is).
Great gifts Anna. What a lovely wife you are - I already told Chris to prepare for his 40th with a huge surprise party. He doesn't like people and he doesn't like being social, so what better way to celebrate than a forced surprise party? Ahhh, aren't I sweet?
happy birthday Jason! I loved your creative song, Anna. :)
Anna i loved your song! Clara did a awesome job on wrapping. Happy birthday Jason!
Yay for Plan E!!!
Why are all of our husbands such hermits? It's really unfair. We should form an Anti-Social Husbands Wives Club.
Happy Birthday Jason, welcome to the "30's" club...although I won't be here too much longer! LOL!
LOL! I loved the song. That picture of him and Clara is so sweet. He looks like a very happy 30-year-old. :) Happy Birthday Jason!
And my husband's anti-social too. Is this a guy thing???
Very creative song! Happy Birthday!
Why didn't you list the coolest present he had in his hand? Nacho Libre, of course! Very cool.
Oh and by the way Jason, you're old.
Post a Comment