Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Lame Times

Before I begin... This is why my mom is cool. She has a plasma car parking in the play room. Ha!Thank goodness for the semi-boring stuff I save for days or weeks that are a little lame (that would be now). I've been busy, but mostly with hectic and boring stuff relating to work. Well, boring to you, not me. Things are going to change by the end of the month with work, but much, much more on that later.

A few weeks ago, I was perusing the "almost rotten" shelf in the farmer's market I shop at. I found a GIANT box of bananas for $2.50 and a box of peaches for $4.00. Seriously, that's cheap. Almost every single banana was used. Most of them weren't even ready for banana bread. I gave some to my neighbors, we ate some and then I peeled and froze all the rest for baking and smoothies.I was going to can some of the peaches, but realizing I didn't have much time, I just peeled, sliced and put them in bags to freeze for smoothies, ice cream or whatever I feel needs fresh peaches. I got three gallon bags of bananas and 8 quart bags of peaches. Not too shabby for $6.50.

The next day, my mom called and told me she got me a box of Utah peaches. It wasn't supposed to come until the following week, but I bought it anyway. Had I known every other person within a 20 mile radius was canning that weekend, I wouldn't have accepted the box. I went to five different Wal Marts to get jars and they were all out. And not just out of jars. Out of everything having anything to do with canning. I went home frustrated and hating Wal Mart more than ever. I did however, make some observations of Wal Mart: 1.) Regardless of the affluence of the surrounding area, Wal Marts are trashy. 2.) At some point on the walk from the car to the store or back to the car, there is ALWAYS a foul smell, usually resembling sewer. And 3.) The majority of the shoppers are always the same type of people (I'll stop right there...).

Back to the peaches. I asked my mom how to can them (I've only seen her do it once and it was about 15 years ago). She told me how she does it and the last instruction was "Then you leave the jars on your counter for a week so you can admire your hard work." That Saturday (the 20th), my mom helped me can my peaches. I only had enough for 12 jars, which I had purchased several weeks ago. Which made me 2 hour Wal Mart scavenger hunt the night before even more annoying. But, I had fun visiting with my mother and learning how to can peaches. I am just afraid of how long it would take if I didn't have another person helping me. I didn't order more peaches because I didn't know if I'd be able to find the jars. Maybe in a few weeks... If not, we'll just have to ration our peaches until next year. And for now, my peaches still sit on my counter. Not because I haven't had adequate time to admire, but because if I'm not running around like I'm crazy, I am sitting and relaxing and trying to play with Clara. My pretty peaches.

So back to this lame week and my babblings. I was working most of Monday. Poor little Clara got dragged all around and locked in an office with me at KS. Lucky for her, the girls there love her so she gets to hang out with them some of the time. And of course they spoil her. Then yesterday was a little overwhelming. Lots of things were going on with work and my family. Life is just so full sometimes. But Roccy listened to me whine and even volunteered to go to lunch with me because I needed to have something to keep my mind away from reality. She's quite the neighbor. Last night we went to the Temple and Kathryn watched Clara. Clara squealed with delight when she saw her house. Thanks Kathryn for being happy to watch all three of those crazy girls by yourself. I really needed to go to the Temple. Hopefully when we live right by you I can return the favor.

This morning I had a meeting in North Phoenix. It was only an hour and fifteen minutes or so, but with travel, I was away for three hours. Roccy (yup, same cool Roccy that saved the day on Tuesday too) watched Clara for me. So basically, I feel like I've paid no attention to Clara this whole week. I hate feeling like I'm too busy to have fun with Clara. And now I'm just ignoring her while I type this. Just kidding. She's napping. But when she wakes up, it will be time for Scouts. Does it seem to bother her?
Nope. She's still sweet and she's still happy. Tomorrow morning we're scheduled to do play with cousins and I know Saturday will be relaxing ALL day. And we're halfway there, trudging along. Happy day.

15 comments:

Cook Zoo said...

I want to trade my van in for plasma cars. No gas!! ;)

That deal on the fruit is awesome. I love getting good deals on fruit. My favorite is when I can get 4 mangos for $1. Yummy!

And I agree, Roccy rocks!

Enjoy your day tomorrow!

JLynn said...

anna, walmart is trashy. curt ran an errand there last night and returned with a "trashy" story. we don't shop there, b/c the 3 things you listed about walmart are the same here. the sewer smell, the people are gross and it's just plain yucky. i sound like a snob, but i love supertarget, it's clean, it's bright and the people are just like me. :) plus, cache gets super excited anytime we drive into a supertarget parking lot. he knows "the red store". it's a shame walmart has become so scuzzy. also we have a few "nick-names' for walmart, but I won't put them on here.

JLynn said...

oh that last one was all about walmart. i forgot to mention once again how resourceful you are. I don't know anyone as resourceful as you anna. give yourself a big hard pat on the back from me. your peaches are awesome! ha ha ha! ;)

Lauren and Jason said...

Anna you are funny but I'm sure most everyone that reads this post will agree with the Wal-Mart comment. I certainly do. And don't feel bad. It's only Wednesday. Clara knows you love her. (And since I work at Target I'm glad to see the comment posted before mine.;)

I AM JOE PESCI said...

You do realize that since you do shop at WalMart that makes you a WalMart shopper right? HA HA HA! I did some major grocery shopping there last night. Ahhh, good times . . . I felt like I smoked an entire pack of cigarettes before even entering the store.

I was totally surprised to see that Basha's has a TON of canning supplies. I never find good canning supplies at WalMart. Try Basha's next time.

Oh, and YOU'RE awesome, not me.

Brenden+Nikki said...

ok so now you're going to have to teach me how to can. I've always wanted to learn how. I never wanted to try it myself though because I have this REALLY intense fear of sealing the cans wrong and then poisoning anyone with whatever it is you get from canning wrong. Good job Anna! They look professional!

DeWitts said...

I'm cracking up on what you said about wal-mart because josh and i went to wal-mart tonight and we were talking about the same thing. I hope you find time for Clara, but i bet she loves it when your busy and she gets to hang out with others.

Julie said...

Where do you shop? Rancher's market? Nice deal! And, of course, nice peaches!

Kami Milliron said...

You are so good ! I wish I had the energy to can fruit right now. For the past 2 days I haven't even been able to keep water down. Please tell me this is worth it and the end result is a true blessing : )

Kate said...

OKAY - I will be the first one to defend Walmart. So many people put Walmart down because they think they are above that. Yes, the honest truth is that everybody has comments about it because they do SHOP there. I shop there and Target and the people are very much the same. Walmart has saved me tons of money and time and so I will always defend it. No other place can say that, not even Target who can't even afford to put a SuperTarget within 25 minutes of here. Walmart has like 5 1/2 stores within 10 minutes of here. That's what I'm talkin' about! ;)

Deb said...

You are always sooo busy. When do you have time to breath? You amaze me.

Unknown said...

That is so awesome that you got all the fruit! I love frozen peaches and bananas! I am jealous! I will be on the lookout for bargains so I can can some. Way to go! :)

Jamie Wilkinson said...

I am so jealous! I know I'm a geek for admitting it, but I LOVE canning. It is so much fun. I used to can all my own stuff, but since having Lily, I don't have the time. I still try to do it as often as I can. I'm not big on cooking or baking. But for some reason canning has always been fun for me

Autumn said...

I would be one who participated in the "canning weekend". This was the first time I actually canned fruit. A couple of years ago, I did chicken. Didn't go so well.
Anyway, I just did peaches and pears and I really want to do more of other stuff because it was so much fun for me. And I love to "admire" mine on the counter for a week after as well!

Amy from Our Dish said...

Well I'm glad I wasn't the ONLY one out there who embraces my inner cheapskate and loves Walmart. Thanks Kate! OK, so I don't love the smell of barf (that's what we call it) as you enter, and I don't love the utter lack/absence of customer service... but I do love how much I can save. It's worth it to me to dodge huge palettes of shrink-wrapped boxes at 11pm and practically bag my own groceries (hello exhausting) just so I can shave $40-60 off my bill. Every time. Where else can you get a pedicure, change your oil, mail a package, buy a tablecloth, a loaf of french bread, and a package of tube socks all in the same place?? :)

Oh, and we were at the temple that same night! Too bad, we could have double-dated.